Brake Help, All the sudden metal on metal

lynchmob723

EDIT:

Well i determined that I just went through the pads. I didnt realize i had the pulse indicator instead of the wire indicator. What would cause these pads to only last 8k miles or so though?. I dont ride my brakes, and i dont race my car. Brakes should last longer than that, I read in the brake section about something to do with the rear sliders. What are the rear sliders? I read something about them in the problem section...can someone further explain? Is it always best to do both rear and front when doing a brake job? I did not do the rears when I did the fronts last time. Im thinking that the poor life was because of this slider thing though

Also when i did the brakes before, I noticed the rear rotors were somewhat rusty, as if the calipers werent working, maybe this caused the excessive front wear since the backs probably werent working?

Rear sliders if they seize up, will cause your rear brakes not to work. And YES, rusty rear rotors indicates they aren't working. Without good rear brakes, the fronts do all the work and won't last nearly as long.

It sounds like you may need to replace the rear sliders from your rear calipers. Sometimes they seize up so hard that it's almost impossible to get them out.

It's not necessary to do front and rear at the same time, but if your rears aren't working, they need to be fixed or else you'll continue to suffer poor front pad life. Not to mention the front brakes can overheat and cause the rotors to warp.