95monte866

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some help.

I just recently bought this 95 monte and cant figure out this low brake pedal situation. I recently have:

1. Replaced master cylinder

2. Replaced both rear(leaking) cylinders

3. Replaced both drums

4. Replaced shoes

5. Replaced Front pads

6. Adjusted rear adjusters

7. Pressure bleed the whole system (10 times)

8. I inspected everything

There's no leaks , no air in the system, and no bulging brake lines. I looked at the abs modulator and tested the " homing of the motor pack" and it works as it should. The car stops but has alot of pedal travel before the brakes starts to grab.

I've been working on cars for over 20 years and never ran into one like this. Could a faulty abs modulator valve cause this? or does this type of system typically have alot of pedal travel 4-6" (1"-2" from the floor)

Any input would great. Thanks

have you checked the tube comming off the brake booster? It can become soft. Mine has all new brakes all the way around and still has a soft low pedal, as most of our cars do. I would buy they stainless steel brake lines and see if that helps. Later Jay

Keep us updated on what happens

95monte, my car has a soft brake pedal, compared to other cars. Everything is new on my vehicle. If you have an early 95, you get the small front disc rotors and rear drums. So those don't help braking any. As long as the booster hose is fine (not collapsing) then you're ok, well, you SHOULD be. My brake guy said he can manually adjust pedal travel, but I really don't mind. I got accustomed to the braking in my car. Also, if you havenj't already, swing by MyMonte.com!

WMZZZ

Maybe I'll check this line as my brake pedal falls to the floor (no braking action till about 2" off the floor). I can't even get it to lock the wheels anymore, it really lacking braking. Hell, if I kill the engine I can stop the car faster without the assist then with!

I'd been told by many that this is normal, I feel it is not, and not to safe either!

- Jeff L.

Maybe I'll check this line as my brake pedal falls to the floor (no braking action till about 2" off the floor). I can't even get it to lock the wheels anymore, it really lacking braking. Hell, if I kill the engine I can stop the car faster without the assist then with!

I'd been told by many that this is normal, I feel it is not, and not to safe either!

- Jeff L.

my Cutlass would never engage the abs on dry pavement....i just accepted it

i don't think i ever could get my wheels to lockup on dry pavement if i tried, let alone make the abs work.

i supose i have a fairly low brake pedal in both my luminas, as far as i can figgure its normal op.

I came across this tech bulletin.http://www.carquest.com/techbulletins/brakes/2001/CQB%2001-03.pdf The only thing I havent tried yet was to watch the gears for movement. Its gonna be a pain to get that cover off without removing the whole assembly all over again.

Well I guess I'll give it a shot, whats a few more hours of work :roll:

95Monte866

Did you use a new Delco master cylinder?

How did you pressure bleed the brakes?

I remember a 95GP that the mechanic could not get any pedel on. They finally had to hook up a pressure ball on the master cyl. and a vacuum bleeder on the bleeder valves to remove all the air. Your ABS is extremely hard to remove all the air from.

I put on a rebuilt unit from Pep Boys. I know sometimes rebuilt ones are junk. I used a pressure bleeder at the master cylinder and bleed the modulator then the rears and then the fronts. I ran about a quart and a half through each one. I didnt use a vacuum bleeder along with the pressure bleeder, but I was thinking the same thing. There may be air still in the modulator.

Ill try a vacuum bleeder and pressure bleed and see if that works.

Thanks

i don't think i ever could get my wheels to lockup on dry pavement if i tried, let alone make the abs work.

i supose i have a fairly low brake pedal in both my luminas, as far as i can figgure its normal op.

your Z34 stopped MUCH better than my CS EVER did

My Lumina doesn't have ABS, which is why I was a little worried. When I first got it (in fall of 04) the brakes had just been done by GM when my grandma had it. During this winter I noticed that these brakes feel like shit. I'll admit I haven't been driving this car like an old lady either, but still I feel they should last longer (if wearing out, no sqreeching yet!)

Anyone do this...get into your parents car, or friends whatever..anything that isn't a W and when you come up to a red light or stop sign you damn near put your head through the windshield since you are so used to pushing the brake pedal down hard?

I've done this countless times, which is why I think my car isn't normal and all the other ones are

- Jeff L.

Anyone do this...get into your parents car, or friends whatever..anything that isn't a W and when you come up to a red light or stop sign you damn near put your head through the windshield since you are so used to pushing the brake pedal down hard?

I've done this countless times, which is why I think my car isn't normal and all the other ones are

- Jeff L.

When I had both my Lumina and this GP, I'd get out of the Lumina and drive the GP and almost hit my head on the wheel because I'd stomp on the Prix's brake pedal. '88-'93 W-Body brakes suck ass.

If it means anything, my '95 feels about the same as my sister's '93. But under hard braking, the '93 DOES take more effort, just a little though. But all her brakes are brand new, including rears, and the calipers are fairly new back there.

I havent done anything with the repair yet, but I did a few road tests. I tried out the ABS on snow and it works as it should. I tried out a hard stop on dry payment, and it stops on a dime, and abs kicked in, cause I skidded a bit.

The brakes work as they should, but the pedal travel is alot lower than it should be.

Is there a adjustment for this? Or is this a Delco thing?

In my 90 Lumina, the only time the brakes felt good was when I got it and a professional had done them. Ever since I attempted doing brakes on it, pedal is ridiculously low... and I mean low. I became used to it til I drove my dad's 97 Lumina or my mom's 03 Impala. Then I put just about anyone with me through the front of the car. Early W-body brakes suck. Not gonna lie that is a downfall on these cars which all of us W-body owners know and appreciate. :roll:

Well besides every @$%5*& idiot light coming, including the abs and the speedo sticking, that I have to tap on, the thing still runs. I think the problem with the low pedal is the modulator. The abs light wasnt on until today and wont go off. I did notice I dont hear that familar abs crunch or parking noise as loud as it did when the light stayed off.

I talked to my Dad, the original owner of the car, and he said the breaks felt normal when they bought the car. He's very picky when it comes to brakes. He restores cars and wouldnt have tolerated this type of poor engineering.

I havent done anything with the brakes yet, Michigans weather been tough. When I do I will repost.

Shit, I've Managed to lock up al four wheels on my 88 before on dry Pavement. I haven't tried to do that on My GS, but I think that my 88 Has WAY better Brakes than the GS.