buckethead

Well, I finally got my first dose of brake problems with my regal... a real shocker right? I was driving around and suddenly my front left rotor started grinding. So i took it into the local brake shop and it turns out this is my list of problems:

Both front rotors must be replaced

Both front calipers must be rebuilt with new hardware

Both rear calipers must be replaced

Both rear rotors must be machined

and, of course all new pads

Total price is $649.99 ....... UUUUGHHHHH

All this is of course from my rear calipers seizing... fucking shitty-ass rear brakes :motz2:

well, i guess machining them isn't really a big deal. It's included in their standard $99 service and the rear rotors aren't damaged much, they're really just rusty. Unfortunately i'm just another victim of seized rear calipers.

STAY AWAY!!!GET YOUR CAR NOW!!! I TOOK MY 96 CUTLASS TO JUST BRAKES IN HOUSTON AND THEY SCREWED ME. WHEN THEY CUT THE ROTORS THEY WARPED THEM AND RUINED THEM. I HAD TO GO TO ANOTHER MECHANIC AND GET THEM REPLACED. THEIR SERVICE IS BULLSHIT!! GO TO A REPUITIBLE MECHANIC AND HE WON'T DO HALF THAT STUFF!!

SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE!!

STAY AWAY!!!GET YOUR CAR NOW!!! I TOOK MY 96 CUTLASS TO JUST BRAKES IN HOUSTON AND THEY SCREWED ME. WHEN THEY CUT THE ROTORS THEY WARPED THEM AND RUINED THEM. I HAD TO GO TO ANOTHER MECHANIC AND GET THEM REPLACED. THEIR SERVICE IS BULLSHIT!! GO TO A REPUITIBLE MECHANIC AND HE WON'T DO HALF THAT STUFF!!

SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE!!

fj_swkb_cap.jpg

Don't let the shop scare you, they did the same thing to my mom when she had her 91' Regal (I go out of town for 2 days and she has $700 worth of brake work done, cause they starting making noise)If you have any experience working on cars the brakes on a W-body are actually pretty easy. The hardest part is the parking brake cables in the rear.

Go buy the 4 rebuilt calipers, rotors and pads. Call me and i'll walk you through it. Couple hours in the driveway and it'll good as new (or better :lol: ). You will need a helper to bleed the brakes when you're done.

Joe

You seriously getting raped if you pay that amount. Brakes are about the easiest thing to replace on your car. Buy new rotors and calipers, and put them on. Shouldn't take you but a few hours to do.

EDIT: Hell, I'll go outside and tear mine apart just do to a write-up for you its that easy. :lol:

I am glad that the guy witch i bought the car to , owned an AC delco Shop .

There is nothing else than OEM parts AC Delco on my car , exept the gas tank ( that i replaced ) and that include brake parts . And beleave it or not , my got 316000 km and my handbrake is still workin . All disc and pads are new , and the brake pedal isnt even pulsating . :shock:

Take some OEM parts for your pads . They are exepensive but that worth it . Garanteed life time , and take some GM rotors too , they are like 25 $ CDN here .

Do this in your driveway thats a PRETTY FUN job .

Worth the assle tho :P

If you can change a tire......you can do brakes.

You could just do the brake shotgun..........pads, rotors, and calipers. You do have to bleed the brakes again if you replace the calipers......but thats pretty easy with someone pumping the pedal.

If you can change a tire......you can do brakes.

You could just do the brake shotgun..........pads, rotors, and calipers. You do have to bleed the brakes again if you replace the calipers......but thats pretty easy with someone pumping the pedal.

Agreed!!!!

. And beleave it or not , my got 316000 km and my handbrake is still workin .

<------wants to see pics of your "handbrake"

lol

well ... footbrake :oops:

or E-brake

wtv :P

it works

If you do decide to do it all yourself, buy the new calipers "loaded." That means you get the calipers with the pads already installed on them. Just be sure you ratchet in the pistons of the rear calipers all the way otherwise you'll have problems with the rear brakes sticking once you're done...

$649?! i hope they kiss you after they are done fucking you! :shock:

Jesus man are you mad? I didn't notice where you live, but i'll come do the brakes for that much cash, TODAY i'll skip all my classes and be there asap.

But seriously, save yourself some cash, get one of our phone numbers and we can help you. It's insane for you to pay that much

Wouldn't buy the loaded calipers. If you compare the price of the empty calipers and the pads to the loaded calipers it is much cheaper to buy them seperately. Make sure you get new pad retaining clips and hardware. They might be included with the calipers, might not be.

Nicest ones I ever bought were remans from Advance auto. Had the upgraded anodized slides on the rears and looked like new.

I have a pair of front calipers with around 125k on them if you really need them. Nothing wrong with them, leftovers from my bigger front brake swap. I dunno how much new calipers run but I'll let you have them for half of whatever shipping would cost (plus shipping still, of course).

Napaonline.com, brake part prices

Front Calipers $39.99 ea $44 core ea

Rear Calipers $69.99 ea (w/stopper on lever) $73.99 ea (w/stopper on casting) $88 core ea.

Front Pads $18.99 - $77.99 el cheapo's to ceramix

Rear Pads $17.99 - $77.99 el cheapo's to ceramix

Front Rotors $19.99 or $43.99 and yes there is a major difference between the two

Rear Rotors $15.49 or $34.99

Front Hardware kit $10.49

Rear Hardware kit $12.99

Maybe a couple bolts, etc.

Totals about $370 with cheap pads and rotors, better that $649

Is it worth almost $300 to you to do your own brakes? :wink:

Well, fuck me..... I didn't have a chance to read the replies before i told the garage to go ahead and do the work. I was gonna need someone to do the work anyways... I work two jobs so i have zero time, plus my apartment won't allow me to do any of the work in the parking lot. Between no time, no space, very few tools and me needing the car back in working order ASAP, it was worth it for me to pay someone else to do it. Unfortunately it seems i payed way too much.... FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!! I shoulda called around.... that was an expensive lesson to learn.