omg...what happen to my brakes

toastemcutlass

so i can install an l67 in my car, but i cant figure out the problem with my brakes(well without looking at it) :lol:...any who my brakes went nuts, i can drive all day and the front driverside rotor is actually cool to the touch....so that was the beginning of my problem, now yesterday i had to slam on the brakes and the abs light comes on, and i barely have brakes, i could see it going on if my front tire brake wasnt working, but the light stays on and is still on when i restart the car...the other part of the problem is that if i slam on the brakes the driverside rear locks up and the passenger front tire locks up...but the rear passenger tire doesnt seem to be working like the front driverside....thats a mouthful...lol...so does anybody have any idea what happend to my car...im thinking maybe the abs unit....other wise the front caliper might be frozen since it was sitting for so many months waiting to put my motor in...well if anybody takes the time to read my long post and can help i would be so greatful.....

thanks, scott

ok, so i got the chance to look at it..and i found out that the brakes lines comming out of the abs unit are only putting pressure out of the front line and the very back line, the two center brake lines i take off and can hit the brake as hard as i want and nothing comes out....so that explains the two working and two not working, so now my ? is, is what is causing this to happen...and also what is the order looking from front to rear that the brake lines are supposed to go in, right now i got it as front passenger, rear passenger, front driver, then rear driver, is that the correct order ( just asking cuz i took the abs unit off when i did the swap...but it worked fine after that)...is it possible that one of the selinoids on top of the abs unit is stuck one way, and that would explain my abs light being on?

thanks again

omg there is something seriously wrong with me...i got the brake lines crosses and it worked fine for a while but after hitting the brakes hard the abs unit got mad and didint want to work, basically i had a rear line hooked to a front and a front to a rear so nothing worked right...but the funny part is it worked for three months and i didnt notice anything till i jammed on the brakes yesterday

if your abs is working, your wheels arent supposed to lock up...each tire will for about a second, hence the anti lock....is that what you ment or are your brakes really bad and you cant stop hard?

if your abs is working, your wheels arent supposed to lock up...each tire will for about a second, hence the anti lock....is that what you ment or are your brakes really bad and you cant stop hard?

ABS doesn't kick in because the wheels won't lock up.

ABS doesn't kick in because the whells won't lock up.

is your car ABS equipped?

if he has the rear drum brakes in the lumina, i don't think they had ABS...

The wheels should not lock if the abs is working properly. (they may lock very brief but should not skid like non-abs cars)

is your car ABS equipped?

Okay, time for some clarification.

Yes, the car has ABS.

I feel that the ABS doesn't kick in because the brakes are so weak that it could never cause the wheels to lock.

Perhaps the ABS IS kicking in, but the car sure doesn't feel like any braking is going on in panic situations.

Although it could be expensive it would probably be wise to find someone with a tech 1, they can cycle the abs system and figure out if something mechanically wrong or just needs "reset".

I know my 95 cutlass had problems with both brake lights on and the back brakes wouldn't grab, it turns out after a month of being in a shop I took it to a gm mechanic with a tech 1 and he fixed it within a couple hours. A nut was loose in the master cylinder and wouldn't let fluid to the rear wheels nor let the calipers move either.

This might not be exactly whats wrong with your car, but the abs system should be able to tell the tech 1 whats going on with the system, hopefully this helps.

ill have to lookin to that...everything is working now, but i could take off the two center lines off the abs unit and you hit the brake and not an bit of fuild would come out...obviously the problem then i started the car took the seloniods out and cleaned them and hit the brake really hard and all the sudden fluid shot out from the two ones that werent working, now after flushing the whole system and bleeding the brakes they work great, but that might be what caused them to not work, if it happens agian thats prolly the problem