3.1MPFI GP falling apart!

mfewtrail

Ok, some of you may have seen the post where I just had to replace throtle body heater hoses(bypassed them with the bypass hose) and a t-stat. Now about 2 days ago I drive the car for the first time in about a week and I see the fu(king temp gauge going up again and I'm think wtf? not another t-stat or coolant leak.......so I just keep driving cause the temps not too high and I get home and open up the hood and sure enough, coolant is leaking somewhere in between the t-stat housing and throttle body up against the motor and by then I'm really pissed and don't try to figure out what the hell is wrong, slam the hood, and go inside. Now the ? is what the hell could leak coolant right there? I checked my oil and it is full and NORMAL color so no coolant is in it(or yet anyway).....so could the lower intake gasket leak coolant in such a way that it doesn't mix with the oil(isn't it usually the headgasket that causes it to mix with the oil anyway?)? I'm going to pull the motor this weekend(not cause of the leak) and start tearing it to start my rebuild that I have planned(3400 top end, forged pistons, rods, the works!) and was wondering what is the best way to relieve the fuel pressure before removing the rails, etc.? I think I seen on here something about pulling the fuel pump fuse and letting the car die/stall? I'd appreciate any/all info about this..and thanks again.....by the time I get done with this car, its going to be new..hehe

Best way, is to disconnect the fuel pump plug at the fuel tank. This can be done without jacking the car up. Just lay near the driver rear tire, and reach your hand up towards the rear of the tank. Follow the wire loom to the plug, and un plug it. The run the car until it quits, and start it a few times to make sure it's empty.

Jason

couple spots to check for the leak is 1- where you just bypassed the lines...2- the fitting of the black metal coolant pipe into the engine...3- the coolant temperature sensor that's right below that. Also did you make sure the t-stat gasket was seated properly?

the thermostat housing isn't leaking and neither is the throttle body hose that I bypassed, I made sure to confirm this when I looked at it yesterday........Also I didn't really pay attention to where the black coolant pipe runs into the engine or the temp sensor(I'm think this is to blame.....anyways I hope so)......but if its the intake gaskets then oh well, I am gonna be doing my motor work starting this weekend since I'm jobless :D......getting price quotes for now from the reputable machine shops that I know of in the area to do some head work for me and bore the block .040'' over......I would try my hand at this stuff but I figure I might take off a little too much or whatever and I want it done RIGHT the first time. Also thanks for the info Brian!!!! I'm checking to see what is actually leaking today.....lol...haven't so much as touched the car yet since I've been busy getting price quotes and other stuff.

Yeah, where the pipe goes into the top of the head or water pump on the LH side, there's a gasket that blows sometimes. When it goes, it'll leak like hell-check it out. Easy fix.

heres a f****** picture of where the coolant is pooling......I still can't tell 100% where its coming from, I know its not the sensor on the thermostat housing, and I do not think it is where the coolant pipe runs into the front of the t-stat housing.....I'm clueless.....freaking o-ring is leaking like mad so I'm gonna go ahead with my plans to pull the motor, replace all sensors, hoses, and whatever else needs it 265887_9_full.jpg