Nasty suspension problem; need help

DakotaMatt

Hey guys, thanks for clicking on my topic. Here's my problem: I've got a '94 Lumina. No, I'm just kidding, I like the car a lot :wink: . Seriously though, I have a '94 Lumina sedan with the 3.1MPFI, 91,000mi, and a major suspension issue. I noticed the problem last September when I bought the car from my uncle. When I drove 57mph steady, my steering wheel would shake and I would hear a "wobble" noise from the front of the car. I could also feel the shaking through the floor. At any other speed, the noise, vibration, and steering wheel shimmy would disappear. If I accelerated from any speed past 57, I wouldn't feel the vibration. Under braking, no problems either. A few months ago, I upgraded from my steel wheels and mismatched crap tires to decent performance tires on the 16" Euro/Z34 wheels. Since then, the problem has become more severe. I feel the vibration at almost all speeds now, when not seriously accelerating or decelerating. A few weeks ago, I replaced my driver's side wheel hub, as it was complaining loudly. This week, I replaced my passenger wheel hub for the same reason. The bad hubs' loud scratching squeal has gone away again, but my chronic suspension issue is still there, and as bad as ever. I had my car on a lift to replace the hubs, and when it was up both times, I inspected the cradle bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends and suspension arm bushings. Everything looked like 91,000mi suspension components, but there was no obvious cause for my problem. I also fooled around with my CV halfshafts, or axles, but they seem ok too. I know it would be smart to replace all worn components anyway, but I'd like to make sure I hit the problem part when I get in there and start wrenching. Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch guys,

Matt

Guest Keith66

Have any of these wheel/tire combos been balanced? From what you first described, sounds like a imbalanced wheel/tire.

It's cheap to get them balanced. Start there. Even the new combo could be out of balance as well.

I would think if it were suspension, it would do it at most speeds. If the struts are shot, it would cause wheel hop also. Look closely at the tie-rod ends too.

Good luck.

Yeah but it wouldn't make sense that it only does it at that one specific speed. If the tires were imbalanced, the shaking would get progressivly worse as the speed increased.

i would check closely to all front suspension components. check all nuts and bolts and what not. make sure not too forget about the wheel bearings!! this would be my check list, or what i would do if a got a car like this in the shop at work:

1)check tires-even tire tread see if its coppy or nice and smooth

2)check balance

3)check tie rod--inner and outer

4)check bearings

5)check struts

6)check sway bar if applicable

7) all nuts and bolts and bushings, the little things

i wouldnt do these in that order but thats what i would look at

I think I may have found my problem today. I was pondering the situation last night, and went outside to kick some tires. I did, and my right front wheel moved! I pushed on the top of my wheel, and it moved about 3/4 an inch, and clicked as well. I didn't see anything wrong with that ball joint when the car was in the air, but it sure feels sloppy now that I push on it. I am going to replace that part tonight after I get off work. BTW, I bought a new set of 4 tires to go on those Z34 wheels I bought, and had them professionally mounted and balanced. I am pretty sure they aren't at fault. I appreciate all the brainstorming, and I'll let you know how it goes :D

Matt

It turns out that the problem isn't my balljoint. I can still move my wheel by pushing in on the top of the tire. I had my brother do this while I looked at the suspension from under the car, and as I watched, the strut moved in and out. The top of the strut is bolted firmly to the tower, and the balljoint is solid, but the strut is moving in the middle, right above the lower spring perch! I doubt this is normal, considering my left wheel and strut don't move like this. I guess I need to replace my strut assembly... but like the wheel situation, if I'm going to do that, I am going to upgrade. Does anyone have a gen2 driver’s strut? I have a passenger side, but need a set of 2 before I can throw them on, obviously.

Matt

Nix on the Gen2 strut comment. What I meant to say was I need a post-94 GP (till 96) or Cutlass (till 97) Fe3 suspension driver's strut assy. They use slightly larger brake rotors ( about 3/4 of an inch, yes) and a redesigned strut assy. I already have one, and just need to make that two so i can replace my blown-out strut. I popped the dust cover off my problem strut assembly, and omg is there lots of nasty goop in there. In addition to the strut being blown, the shaft has worn the cartridge housing, which is where my slop is comming from. I know I could just look for a new insert for my strut, or get a new assembly for my year car, thing is I checked at the local yards using car-part.com, and it is quite a drive to the nearest place that has one.... arg. I'm just gonna drive out and get one I guess. Has this happened to anyone else??

Matt