Maroon 5 Spokes are on! No more rubbing problems!!!

dbtk2

Today I went to discount tire and got my new 225/60/16 Bridgestone Potenza G009's mounted on my Maroon 5 spokes. The car looks much better than it did before and it gets much better traction. I haven't pulled a wheel off the car yet to weigh it, but I am curious to see what the wheel/tire combo weighs. The stock wheels with VERY BALD 225/60/16 Goodyear Eagle RS-A's weighed 43lbs. I would bet that those weigh about 35lbs, but i'm not sure yet. Whatever the weight savings is, it should be good for like 5 hundreths to a tenth in the 1/4. The awesome traction of these tires compared to the ones that were on it have to improve my 60' like 2 tenths or more.

I know that the 5 spokes I put on are 16X7 with a 25mm offset. The stock wheels said they were 16X6.5 with a 44mm offset. The stock wheels rubbed on everything. The splashguard on the front of the front wheelwells, the inside of the front and back of the wheelwell in the front. In the back the tires sat so far in that they rubbed on the trailing arms. The 5 spokes now from what I have seen so far don't rub on anything at all. They clear the trailing arms by a good inch, maybe more. The tightest spot I saw in the front wheelwells they cleared by 3/4". It seems like they are gonna be much better than the stock ones.

I am VERY pleased with it. I will take some pictures soon, but I would like to wash the car first because it is really dirty. I should have pictures of it up by Wednesday. It looks pretty sweet IMO.

Shawn

Nice. Just wondering, why did you go with 225 and not 235?

Actually, my dad got new tires for his GTP at the beginning of the year (like March or something) and I needed new tires really bad so we just mounted the stock tires from his GTP on my wheels until I could find a tire that I wanted and have the money for it. I found that the 225/60/16 tire made my speedometer completely accurate (it read slightly fast with the 215's, which as you know is VERY common with TGP's). So I figured why not keep the size that makes the speedo right, even if it isn't exactly the right size, and its a popular size so its easy to find, and its not too big so it isn't very expensive, but its still bigger than the stock 215's so it *should* get better traction and handle better.

Don't worry, I will post pictures, but its the middle of the night right now and the car is filthy. Like I said, I will have pics up by Wednesday.

Shawn

How did you you use to measure your speedometers accuracey? Hand held GPS reciever?

Screw 235s.....245/50/16s are where its at........although, your wheels are only 7" wide....its a good think you stuck with 225s.....because my 205/55/16s on my Beretta fit nice and straight...I'd hate to think what 245s would be like.

Sidewall buldge is bad foir cornering.

How did you you use to measure your speedometers accuracey? Hand held GPS reciever?

Screw 235s.....245/50/16s are where its at........although, your wheels are only 7" wide....its a good think you stuck with 225s.....because my 205/55/16s on my Beretta fit nice and straight...I'd hate to think what 245s would be like.

Sidewall buldge is bad foir cornering.

I measured the speedometer on the numerous things on the side of the road that tell you how fast you're going. They always say what my speedometer says with these tires, and with the 215's my speedo always read fast.

245's would fit just fine on my wheels, afterall I had 225's on my stock 6.5" wheels. My dad has 245/50/16's on his GTP as well as his TGP coupe. His GTP has 6.5" wheels and his TGP 8". However, I would need to go with 245/55/16's for the speedometer accuracy (and I would like my speedo to be accurate), and again they would be more expensive, and 245/55/16's are very difficult to find...they aren't a common size. It would've cost me over $50 more to go with the 245's and the lower profile the more they cost as well and I don't really need them, thats why I have 225's. I don't need to take corners fast, and neither 225's or 245's are goona grip in straight line acceleration anyways, so being 16 years old and on a tight budget, it wasn't worth the extra money to me. I am pleased with the tires on it, they are plenty of tire for me.

I wish I could put pics up right now but I can't. The car is filthy, it is raining out, and I am in the middle of doing some brake work and replacing a halfshaft, so I can't drive it anyways. Like I said, I will put pics up tommarow (wednesday).

Shawn