89BuickRegalGS

Hey man, I have always liked your Regal. I have always wanted mine painted black. As you can tell from my screen name here, I have an 89 GS model. It has the ground effects, 4 place bucket seats, adn the digital sprt dash. Also like I said, if I had the money...

nfortunetly, teh cars paint is really messed up. The clear coat looks "blistered", teh blacked out trim has black paint flaking off, the wheels are scarred from the previous owner hitting curbs, adn I got rear-ended, but didn't get any money, so the bumper fit is just slightly off. Kinda exspensive car. hahah but on the bright side, I bought the car for $1!!! Waht did you do to your car to get it in the shape its in now?

First, thanks for the kind words, I put alot of time into the car and when you say nice things it justifies that time. I appreciate that. In regards to the car, when I got it, it had 17000 miles, so I was lucky in that respect. But for what I have in low miles, you have in options. My car had cloth velour bench seats, a crummy radio, 14 inch wheels, hubcaps, and butt nasty chrome trim. the whole car looked crappier that Brian P's does now ( :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: ). The paint, however, was really nice except from some spots where bird poop had been left there for months (it really ruins the clearcoat in that little spot) So.....after I got it, the first thing I put in was my stereo because I already had it from my previous car, and it was the only thing I could afford to do. I saved up a bit, and bought the 16inch wheels and tires (the wheels I have now), and then saved up again to buy my cutlass interior. Think about it, you already HAVE the nice interior AND the wheels. You've got a good base to start with. then, I save up some more and bought my KYBs and lowering kit, and after that, I got my addco swaybar and my exhaust. It was a gradual process...$300-$500 every 6 months or so. After being rear-ended by a TOW TRUCK (which then towed me), I had the whole car repainted , and the GS parts put on, because they were the same price from the salvage yard as the non-GS ones. used parts are wonderful!!! Earlier on, I took my grille and side rub rails off, sanded them, and painted them with rustoleum satin black enamel, which is still on and looking excellent today. For your car, you could paint your trim pieces, remove your wheels, strip them, and repaint them (ask Brian P about this), or look for a set of American Racings at Sears (thats where I got mine dirt cheap). Put on some meaty 235/55/16 tires to give it some presence, and get the lowering springs for $80 from JCWhitney. Get the car buffed or learn to wetsand it and do it yourself, if that doesnt work, sand the whole thing yourself and then take it to maaco and have them paint it (you do the prep). Steam clean your interior and take a day to take it all apart, clean each piece, and put it back together tightly. I think in the end you will like the car alot more. as far as going FASTER, thats the tough part, I believe you have a 2.8..(?), if so, you don't have much in the way of getting alot faster unless you pull a Lorenzo (GPSE3200, our resident automotive engineer) and completely spec the thing out. Maybe a swap someday down the line?? The first thing for me is to make the car look the way I want it to, and for me that was clean, black, and no frills (no badges or chrome crap). I think that your car has a lot of potential, put in the time and clean it up and make it the way you want it to be. you can do it.

Do you have any pics of the car at all?

-Tom

I wish I had a digi cam right now! Its raining, and my car looks shiny new. hahaha The interior is in pretty good shape except form werre I slammed my door hard to fix teh door lock, it destryed amost everything in the door, all the plastic rivets that is. Its kinda tacked on with wood screws right now, but I did a good job of hiding them. Pretty much the only things I have done to the car are: rear stuts, have the tranny rebuilt, installed a head unit myself, ran the wires and installed an amp and 2 subs myself, changed the fog lamps because the stock ones had cracked and leaked water, painted the chrome out on the grill to match the body color (it was teh only chrome on the car), and changed all the interior lighting to match the green glow of the dash. I bought the car with 152,000 miles on it, and now its just under 175,000 (owned it now for a year and 2 months). I have recently been thinking about choppiing the front springs, but I don't know if thats such a good idea. I am gonna scan the only pic of my car i have and I guess I'll e-mail it to you.I am waiting to take more pics of my car when i get teh digicam back.

After being rear-ended by a TOW TRUCK (which then towed me), I had the whole car repainted , and the GS parts put on, because they were the same price from the salvage yard as the non-GS ones.

:lol:

talk about running out of business!

nah, no offense man, i was laughing at the irnony of it all

talk about running out of business!

nah, no offense man, i was laughing at the irnony of it all

None taken, it was a rather ironic scene to get smashed into, call triple A, and then have the radio in the guys truck ask him to pick up a smashed buick regal at the corner of Route 9 and overbrook (right where we were when he hit me).

-Tom

yeah i really really like ur car. Its exactly what i like in car, its differnt, its not a POS, its not a ricer, and you did a really really awesome job of turning it from grannymobile to cool ride...the black paint rocks, the rims go great and it looks good lowered, i can only image what you did to the interior....great job

Yeah! show us some pics of the inside.

I really love the black paint. Thats what I have been looking at for My Cutlass for a while (since I got it), the darkest, glossiest black immagainable. For some reason, that paint looks unbelievable? How was it done? Any tricks? Where at?

Jon

---------

1996 Cutlass Supreme, Series III

Medium Green Metalic

yeah i really really like ur car. Its exactly what i like in car, its differnt, its not a POS, its not a ricer, and you did a really really awesome job of turning it from grannymobile to cool ride...the black paint rocks, the rims go great and it looks good lowered, i can only image what you did to the interior....great job

Thanks for the compliments, and as soon as I get time to take pics I will post them for you guys.

As far as the paint, it is Buick factory metallic black (metalflake) with lots and lots of zymol carbon on it. I had it done at the local oldsmobile dealership, a reputable shop in the area (as evidenced by the loads of expensive cars out front - Porsches, BMWs, Benzs, etc.) After being rear ended all the dings were pulled and it was primered, painted, wetsanded, clearcoated, wetsanded, clearcoated, and then wetsanded and buffed again. By buying used parts (i.e. 1989 GS rear bumper and fender) I was able to save costs from the new parts he wrote me up for, and I used that $$ to get the paint and other bodywork done. The front clip of the car is just original paint that was garaged and waxed its whole life, so there is no telling the difference. Truth to tell, as nice as it looks in the pics, and it does look that nice (to me at least) in real life, it is EXTREMELY hard to keep looking nice. black is so high maintenance, and when you've seen it new and perfect, you notice EVERY little tiny itsy bitsy thing, down to little specs of dust. Its one of those things that looks so damn nice when polished and shiny (and I keep it like that all the time), but for a daily driver I'd rather have a different color. Unfortunately, my daily driver (the Z34) is also black, so its a lose-lose situation for me. If I were you Jon, I would go and ask them to paint your car with the same black I have (1990 regal black metallic), as it really is VERY VERY BLACK, and the very slight metalflake (barely noticeable) gives it amazing depth of color. Polish it up with some zymol (best stuff I've used on black cars), and then start drooling over it!

-Tom

i think i like the idea of black, if i get the money, i am gonna try modifying my luggage rack spoiler to be just the spoiler, have the front holes bondo-ed over (might be able to do that myself). right now my grill is the same color as my car, that would go black

I say you should boost the whole thing right off the car. I think regals look cleaner without any add-ons. Spoiler included. come to think of it I wish my Z34 didn't have a spoiler. You could definetely bondo it yourself, then sand it down nice and smooth. All it takes is time, and if the paint is already crappy its not like you're ruining anything, right?!?!

-Tom

I love metalic paint. Curently, its a Meduium Green MEtalic. WHen its freshly washed, or beter yet, pollished and waxed, its almost blinding.

While im not a big green fan, lord do the flakes help it. I agree, it adds some depth to the paint. The only thing Is i cant find ANY touch up paint for it.

Jon