bigger '95+ front brakes

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

i got some front strut/knuckle assemblies from a 49,000 mile '97 Olds Cutlass today :) i wanted to get the front brake upgrade done before i get new tires (don't want to get it aligned twice). i'm also going to chop 1/4 coil off of my Eibach lowering springs when i have it apart and install new KYB GR2 strut cartridges. anyways - does anyone here have any recommendations on what type/brand of rotors or pads to use? i need to get new brake hoses too. anyone here using '95+ 11.25" GM Durastop rotors? thanks,

joshua

btw - is the improvement in braking performance over the 10.5" '88-'94 front rotors very noticable?

Ive had a good experience with performance friction carbon metallics from autozone. Also the raybestos ones from Pep Boys, NOT the $19 ones but the ones thatll cost around $40. As for rotors, the replacement ones that Pep Boys carries are holding up well in my car. Just a HINT of warping after 40k, but barely anything

I've actually forked out the cash ($75) for the Durastop pads once...I was quite impressed. I don't know if they were worth $75, but they were pretty fucking good.

And yes, the improvment between the old brakes and the new brakes was noticable. Go ahead and get yourself the bigger booster while you're at it. That is the single BEST improvment for the W-Body brake system. It came on the 96+ W-bodies...compare it with the old smaller one, you'll be amazed. And even though it looks like it won't fit, it will. You will need to clear some firewall insulation to make it fit though.

Jason

I have the bigger booster and I can say although its got a bigger diameter, its not as thick. Anyways I think its how the way its works. The smaller one is on of those Tandem units I belive, actually more expensive than the other unit. I noticed better consistancy day by day. Other than it changing the pedal feel...if it did it wasn't much. As for pads The Raybestos quiet stops are pretty good. They are very quiet and they last a very long time. It's a ceramic compound with little copper flecks in it. Its also got a center cut groove and is chamfered. Infact I wonder if its similar tot he stuff that OReilllys carrys. Overall stopping and recovery was pretty good. As of now I'll be trying out the Raybestos PGs. Onlast thing, bleeding the brakes thouroughly and getting rotors new or cut with a cross hatch patter will help the break in process immensly.

Have any of you tried the EBC GreenStuff pads?? I have them on my '90 TGP and love them!! They stop better than the Raybestos Brute-Stops and have about 1/8th the dust as the Raybestos... 8)