brake light comes on when i hit the brakes, very spongy.....

m0sh_man

When i hit the brakes on my 91GTP my brake light comes on, i feel the pedal make a grumbling noise and then the light goes off, and the brakes stop alot faster, ive bled all my brakes, and i noticed that i can bleed the front brakes with out the car running..... they work great, but ive also noticed that if the car isnt running and i hit the brakes, the back wheels spin freely like there is no brake applied. the emergency brake works fine however... and yes i know its cable operated... all my brake pads are new, and one rear rotor is new, when the car is running and i bleed the rear brakes, i have my fiance press the brake in and hold it, then i break the bleeder loose, and fluid continuously spews from the bleeder, i think the power assist thing just makes the fluid continously come out, there didnt appear to be any air in the lines....

does anyone have anything to add to help me with my problem?

matthew

what is the powermaster III? i figure with the $$ you put in there, its very expensive..... any idea's on how much, and what kinda cars i can pull it from? or is it possible to convert this car to a regular brake type setup.

matthew

A new PM3 unit is around $700. (at the dealer it's more like $3000). Might be the accumulator or pressure switch. Accumulator is the most common failure it's like $100 for the part.

OT: A 91 GTP must be expensive to own, not only do you have timing belts and alternators, the damn PM3 is still there!

Where is the accumulator located and the pressure switch? let me know so i can check them out....

what year model w-body's would have the same parts that way i know what to look for at the junkyard.... as in the brake assemblies

matthew

If a PM3 is what you have (and that's what it sounds like), it only came on 89-91 Grand Prix and Cutlass, and 88-91 Regals.

Even then, it wasn't a very popular option so you'll probably only find it on fully loaded cars.

If a PM3 is what you have (and that's what it sounds like), it only came on 89-91 Grand Prix and Cutlass, and 88-91 Regals.

Even then, it wasn't a very popular option so you'll probably only find it on fully loaded cars.

so what, you could get an optional brake system??????

When i hit the brakes on my 91GTP my brake light comes on, i feel the pedal make a grumbling noise and then the light goes off, and the brakes stop alot faster, ive bled all my brakes, and i noticed that i can bleed the front brakes with out the car running..... they work great, but ive also noticed that if the car isnt running and i hit the brakes, the back wheels spin freely like there is no brake applied. the emergency brake works fine however... and yes i know its cable operated... all my brake pads are new, and one rear rotor is new, when the car is running and i bleed the rear brakes, i have my fiance press the brake in and hold it, then i break the bleeder loose, and fluid continuously spews from the bleeder, i think the power assist thing just makes the fluid continously come out, there didnt appear to be any air in the lines....

does anyone have anything to add to help me with my problem?

matthew

abs light on also?

Yeah, PM3 = PowerMaster III. It's the optional ABS system used on the cars I mentioned above. In 1992 it was replaced with Delco ABS VI.

PM3 was an early ABS system. No vacuum booster. It had a nitrogen-charged accumulator and an unusual master cylinder.

my ABS light does not come on at all, and never has, HOWEVER when i hit the brakes the brake light comes on, then i feel the pedal grumble for a half second, then the brake light goes off, and it does this EVERYTIME i hit the brakes..... im pretty pissed off about this damn braking system.....

so anyone have any idea's on what i should replace first?!? and where is located.

matthew

Yeah, PM3 = PowerMaster III. It's the optional ABS system used on the cars I mentioned above. In 1992 it was replaced with Delco ABS VI.

PM3 was an early ABS system. No vacuum booster. It had a nitrogen-charged accumulator and an unusual master cylinder.

interesting. thanks shawn