PMIII overflowing when depressurizing.

RareGMFan

Well, after getting the front brakes done a few weeks ago, I noticed the brake light on at the beginning of this week (which didn't even come on when I was riding the front rotors metal to metal). I didn't think much of it initially because they were still operating fine, and I could still hear the accumulator charging (I was afraid initially that it had gone out). I went to check the fluid anyways. I shut the car off, and started pumping the pedal to depressurize it. After about 20 pumps, smoke started bellowing out of the hood vents on my side. I was like WTF??? I popped the hood, and noticed the brake fluid was coming out the cap, and dripping onto the downpipe. I got freaked out because I had never seen anything like that during depressurizing. So, I left it alone.

Well, the brake pressure just kept getting worse and worse until I could barely bring the thing to a stop with my foot planted to the floor. I called up the guy who did the brakes, and he said

"you have no pressure AND it's spilling when you depressurize it?"

"yup"

"ooooh, that's not good!"

"why?!?!"

"your mastercylinder is most likely shot"

"$(* (*#($&^@^!"

He told me to bring it in to double check. I went ahead and depressurized it with all the fluid spilling over, popped the cap, and found the side closer to the front was empty. I refilled it and had total pressure again, so I took it over to him. He got it up in the air and checked out the wheels, and said "yep. It's the mastercylinder. You're not leaking anywhere else."

Say it ain't so, guys. Say it ain't so! This would not be a good time to need to shell out another $800 or whatever Prior is charging now. I still have the crossover pipe issue on both cars, and complete over haul of plugs, wires, coils, ICM, crank sensor, struts and mounts all the way around, all vacuum lines/hoses, etc. I'm about ready to sell off all the cars and just go get a new Infinity G35, or something. I know cars like these are a labor of love, but they're wearing my love very thin lol.

Well, mine overflowed after pep boys overfilled it. They don't listen good. Maybe try to rtv the crap out of it as a temporary solution if that's what you need.

Well, it runs fine when it's filled up and ONLY spills like that when depressurizing, but obviously the fluid from the other half of the reservoir is running somewhere. He didn't find any fluid on the brake lines, so that's what confirmed it's the MC itself, for him. I'm hoping there's something else that can be changed. He said some sort of ring is shot inside which is allowing the fluid to go past it or something to that nature, and leak right out the back. He's very good with brakes, but as we know, the older ABS systems are....a...."unique" work to put it mildly, so maybe there's some intricate details he possibly doesn't know about? You think? Maybe? PLEEEASE??? :shock:

Unfortunately I am unable to help due to the fact that I know noddadamnthang about this brake setup (but I've been reading my manual trying to get acquanted w/ it :D ) but I MUST commend you on not one single slang badmouth term for the wallet-thinner3, I mean powerbastard3, er... walletmasher3. DON'T SELL, KEEP. (Or give to me :wink: ) All else fail, and you have time and not money, might I say vacuum. If you have neither, or less of one or of the other, that might answer your question. Good luck.