god910

Well, I am seriously thinking about taking the TGP back to the track tomorrow, but I want the problem fixed before I go, because there is no point trying to make a car w/ problems go faster. SOOOO, I thought hey, what if the fella before me used the wrong plugs or something of that nature (I thought of this as I was making room for my L36, I was moving a spare set of turbo heads and there were platinums in them) I pulled 2 of the front 3 plugs tonight and they both came out VERY hard. (I thought anti-seize was supposed to keep them from seizing :lol: ) No damaged threads though, I was concerned. They are AC rapidfire #8's. So they are the proper plug, but man O' man were they in trouble. The electrodes were burnt, and one of the 2 was actually slanted from burning. :shock: 1 had a .055 gap :roll: and the other was about .050. The plug wires grenaded themselves when I tried to coax them off the plugs. They looked damn near brand new. SO, I THINK I have found my problem, but we shall see. I don't have enough time tonight to finish the task, and since the strip opens at 5:00 I won't be able to finish them for race time tomorrow, but you better bet I will be there on saturday. (If this fixes the problem) Also, every anti-seize I have seen is a silvery color. I am using copper based anti-seize. Is there anything wrong w/ that?? TIA.

Thats good, because I hate to say it, but the car was embarassingly slow before. I have since I visited the track with my TSTE figured out how to launch the car even better, and I think I can help you pull off VERY low 15's at the worst. I don't know if this will help or not, but here is what I will do NEXT time:

1) Lower front tire pressure to ~24psi

2) Raise rear tire pressure to ~42psi

3) Remove spare tire/jack from trunk & everything from glove box/center console

4) When you get ready to launch (since reaction time doesn't matter) hold your left foot HARD on the brake and when you see the 2nd yellow hit the gas and rev to ~2500+rpms. If you do it fast enough it will allow you to get a good launch before the computer pulls boost and timing. As soon as you get the car revved where you want, let off the brake and put the gas to the floor. Also make sure the car is in 2nd gear. Hold it in 2nd until ~6000-6100rpms, this will get it closer to its powerband once it shifts into 3rd. (I did this last time and noticed ~2 tenths improvement in times)

5) Run with like 1/3 tank of gas or a little less.

Don't know if that helps you any, but suggestions don't hurt, thats for sure!

Knowing how to drive the car will significantly lower your times. Now that I have realized/figured out a few things I think my TSTE is capable of running equal to or better than the Coupe's current best time. But I won't find out, because its getting AT LEAST a chip before the next time I run it. And if I don't gain 7 tenths I'll be VERY pissed!

Shawn

So which TGP was this on Jay, the 5 speed?

I just changed mine a while back as well. The car seems to like the Platinum #8's quite a lot. 8)

Well its good to know you found the culprit...well kinda.

I've heard someone here mentioned that platinums should be gapped a tad more than normal copper ones...????.

I've also found my culprit...no intercooler...LOL. When it got cold out here...the engine had lottts of pep. No misfires or timming pulling out. Just raw power.

On a side note...this tranny went bye-bye. HOW IN the HELL does the tq converter lock itself..???(3t40) I stoped at a intersection after a highway blast and the engine turns off. I put it into drive and it fells like its a manual tranny engagine itself hard in second gear killing the engine. Then again this tranny was slipping in third realllly bad. Good thing I got warrenty from the J/Y.

No this was the auto. I sure hope it is the problem. I will be able to finish them tonight and see if that was it. If so, I will be back at the track on Saturday for a real set of times. (Hopefully, my luck something else will go wrong.) :lol:

The back 3 plugs were near impossible to get out, but I used the 'ol CLPF17 (17" Matco Profile Plus ratchet 8) ) and they came right out. All 3 were gapped between .060 and .070 :x I put her all back together in a hurry and drove it just now. (WAAAAAAY past my bedtime) It's running just fine but not building more than 3-4 psi. I probably missed something or cut my I/C to upper I/C pipe hose while taking it apart. (It isn't in too great of shape anyhow.) I guess we'll see how she runs tomorrow.

The back 3 plugs were near impossible to get out, but I used the 'ol CLPF17 (17" Matco Profile Plus ratchet 8) ) and they came right out. All 3 were gapped between .060 and .070 :x I put her all back together in a hurry and drove it just now. (WAAAAAAY past my bedtime) It's running just fine but not building more than 3-4 psi. I probably missed something or cut my I/C to upper I/C pipe hose while taking it apart. (It isn't in too great of shape anyhow.) I guess we'll see how she runs tomorrow.

How long did you drive it for? Enough for it to warm up? I know in both TGP's if the engine isn't warmed up to a certain temperature it will only get 4psi boost. You probably already know this, but just a suggestion.

Shawn

Yeah, it was the control sol. I removed the line that applies to the sol. and it got instant boost, which means, it's capable of making boost. Then I messed w/ the connector and tapped it a few times, and it's all good.