92 lumina 3.4 , What generates RPM for ecm?

badforu

Using a otc mind reader i was looking at the data stream .... There was one line that said "crank rpm" and it read what the tach on dash read .. and thats the crankpositon sensor ... Then on another line it reads "engine rpm" and these reading are wrong ... they are normally moving in increment of 25 up to 175 .. i think this reading and what ever generates it, is bad....

From what i understand there is only one crank position sensor ... and that one is on the balancer/crank pulley ... and there is no cam sensors.

So what generates this bogus engine rpm reading???

I looked at the wiring and i can see ckp sensor runs to the tach and the IM ... So this leads me to believe that the ignition module must be jumbling it as it sends it to the ecm...

This problem has lead me to this site ... so i need to read some because my 3.4 hasnt ever really ran right .. horrible gas milage tops the list... high idle ... changed every major sensor and ecm.. now im on to fixing this line... so ill post this and go read..

Thanks

The (one) crank sensor is hooked up to the ICM, the ICM generates the pulses for the ECM. The crank sensor on your motor is in the rear of the block. The 24x crank sensor in the dampner pulley wasn't introduced till 94.

What scanning program are you using?

the scanner is an otc mind reader... it does the american cars before obd 2 ... The book says it does cars up to 95' ... next time i start it up ill see what it says ...

well i guess ill take off the coil pack and check out the whole thing .. heard napa can test the icm ... and ill test the coils... Since the crank sensor data isnt scramble , and because of where its at ... ill leave that alone for now.

This car run well, especially if u put foot in it. and the suspension is so nice and tight.. holds turns , allowing u to power ur way through.

Most of my problems have been idle related, and very bad gas milage.. Changed all the sensors that cover the idle... and recently it started leaking from the oil drive ... and guess what ??? you cant pull out the oil drive to put a new oring on it because the head is covering it... So i cleaned and plastered the whole area with rtv... see if that will work ... so i have just replaced the intake gasket.

Now i want to fix this data line "engine rpm" ... then i will see how it runs.

Even with these problems i like this car .... it has pick up and go..

changed tps, map, idle air, o2 sensor, egr and ecm .... no real difference in the running .... and evrything looked good in the data stream i was looking at... i just noticed that the engine rpm was scramble with this scanner... used snapon before.

It will be a few days before i pull that coil pack and check it... but when i do ill post the results..

Any suggestion on hwo to fix the oil drive from leaking??? so far the rtv is holding ... but thats pretty cheesy ... would of rather replace the o ring....

Thx