What to look for....

Aaron

Hey all.

Can you guys give me some things to look for in a TGP that I'm gonna be looking at? Problem areas?

It is a 1990 Red/Tan TGP. Cloth interior, HUD, DIC, quad buckets, etc. It sounds like it runs ok, but I have yet to drive it. 137k miles(is this ok on a Forced Iinduction motor?) It has an aftermarket blowoff valve(not sure what kind). Interior is perfect, outside could use some help. Driver front 1/4 panel has a few dents, and it is missing the front valence ground fx.

Sound good or no? I won't say the price yet, but how much would you guys pay for it?

Thanks a lot, I look forward to cheating on my 3.4 and joining the 3.1 Turbo world and add to it another owner who cares about the car! 8)

Here are the things I would check for:

-leaking x-over -> all stock ones leak, so if it's stock it leaks no matter what the owner says

-abs light -> if it's on then it could be something as easy a bad wheel sensor or something as bad as it needs a new PowermasterIII ($$$)

-abs pump cycles -> how many pedal presses before the pump cycles

-tranny-> check to make sure the tranny shifts pretty good

-burning oil -> if it seems to be burning oil it could just be the oil return line from the turbo as they are known to clog and the oil then forced through the seals into the engine

Otherwise, just check all the regular stuff you would check out on a used car. I would look over at http://www.turbogpgarage.com as Chris A. as a lot of really good info on his site as problems and how to fix them. I wouldn't worry about the engine having that many miles on it. My nice TGP has about 125,000 on it now and it runs great (14.6 @95 with only a chip and K&N filter)!! It all depends how the car was taken car of in terms of oil changes and things along those lines. Now, I haven't seen the car and it's hard to say what a car it worth without seeing it. I paid $990 for my first one with 95,000 miles on it, but the car was about a 3 out of 10 as it was beat to hell(ran good though). I paid $2800 for my second one with 112,000 miles on it and it was repainted the original metallic black and is probably a 7.5 out of 10. 8) :D

Looking forward to meeting you at the 60degreev6 meet this summer and I plan on laying down some good 1/4 mile times. :twisted:

Can you guys give me some things to look for in a TGP that I'm gonna be looking at? Problem areas?

It is a 1990 Red/Tan TGP. Cloth interior, HUD, DIC, quad buckets, etc. It sounds like it runs ok, but I have yet to drive it. 137k miles(is this ok on a Forced Iinduction motor?) It has an aftermarket blowoff valve(not sure what kind). Interior is perfect, outside could use some help. Driver front 1/4 panel has a few dents, and it is missing the front valence ground fx.

I know the TGP you are looking at..I think. A kid who works in Fountain at the Texaco has it. Has dent in the front drivers fender...purple window tint? If this is the car...I drove it last week. :shock: The kid is a nice kid, just bought it and is in love with the sound of turbo's!! :wink: He called me asking if I wanted to buy it as he wants an Eclipse. He said he has to get $1600 out of it which I think it too steep for that car. Needs some tweaking and tinkering to get it to that price. I will say that the turbo spools great and the tranny shifts nice and firm...two major issues to look for right off the bat. NO ABS light was showing which is another good thing...but maybe the bulb is burned out?? 8)

yeah i would deffinetly take some screw drivers and take the air box part that is right in front of the turbo off and check for any play at all in the shaft. believe me it a bit** to find help with these turbos for a decent price. other than that i think everything has already been mentioned. Good luck with it!!!!! :cheers:

Hey all.

Sound good or no? I won't say the price yet, but how much would you guys pay for it?

Thanks a lot, I look forward to cheating on my 3.4 and joining the 3.1 Turbo world and add to it another owner who cares about the car! 8)

So what the rebuilt motor wasnt good enough for ya?

Once you are beaten by a TGP...you will crave a TGP!! :wink:

shut up. I beat it by over a half second in MO. LOL!!!

Yah that is the one, he is a nice guy. "I want an Eclipse, this thing weighs too much." 1600 does sound steep, the paint is really faded and there is dings like hail damage all over the 1/4 panels. It spools REALLY well, I heard it from a mile away. I am going to call him and test drive it, maybe I can talk him down a few hundred. We are probably going to try and look at it Thursday or Friday.

walk with a grand cash, see what he says.

btw, I thought ya 3.4 would be covered by warrenty up2 14lbs of boost,

so mod ya 1/2 ass done :lol: headers and put a t3/t4 on there.

-Jeff

walk with a grand cash, see what he says.

He just bought it a week ago and has to get $1600 from what he told me. I told him I would give him $1250 cash on the spot and he said he couldn't... :cry:

shut up. I beat it by over a half second in MO. LOL!!!

No offense to Luke...but if I was driving, I would have spanked your car's ass and kissed your girlfriend at the finish line!! :lol: That car was pulling consistant low 15's at Bandimere...it should have been running low 14's at or near sea-level easy! 8)

Yea, that was my first time at the track with that car. I think it'd be a DAMN good match for you now Aaron. You remember how fast you thought it was when you were riding with me? Now double that, that's what it's like now. 8)

It was defiantely a fun ride. I didn't say it was wicked fast, I just said the torque is unbelievable. It just nailed you in your seat at any point in the rpm. My 3.4 didn't feel that power ful, but was fatser due to a highe nd.

In that condition if thats the car its not Worth more then 1200 IMO, but then again I get offered TSTE's 4 so far for 1000-1500 from people But I need a Better Job if IM going to be Picking these cars up....

hey aaron I'll Race you with my 148xxx mile STE but not in the 1/4, hows about the 1/2 or full mile....? My car only Runs a 15.00 1/4 and by your sig it says your faster...of Course if I could get a Better Launch I might have you at the 1/4 or if you let me we could Run the 1/4 in the 1983 Ghetto stang? or in the 12.5 sec 1/4 VR4

okay Im just Trying to get a Rise out of ya... :lol:

You can try in your TSTE, I'd LOVE TO RUN you in the full mile. Sorry, but a Z34 in the full mile will OWN. No doubt about it, the high end is too storng for the turbo to overcome.