Problems Guys PLease Help (Motor Struggles)

SmokinTGP

Ok im new here but owned 2 TGP,s And this is my second well at the moment me tranny is slipping and i know i need a new tranny but would that cause the motor to lag or backfire alot meaning when i give it gas it boggs like its getting to much fuel or somthing or like its missing... So i went out bought a fuel filter plugs wires and replaced all and still the same i dont get it i never had this problem b4... And if someone could tell me were to get a tranny for my car or if someone hase onre for sale in good condition with nothing wrong with it please email me michael.schwartzbauer@comcast.net I will really appriciate all the help i can get...

THANKS IN ADVANCE

PS i also need a front bumber driver side fender and i can fix my hood but could use a hood to for a good price.... LET ME KNOW

Well how can i test the coil and if posible i know what plug goes were on the coil but cant seem to fint what cylinder is what on my motor not meaning i moved them.. I replaced the wires one at a time so i didnt get comfused.. But to make sure can u give me a diagram of what wir goes were.... That would be greatly appriciated and how can i test the coil....

front of the motor is 2, 4, 6; back of the motor is 1, 3, 5. Those orders are looking at the car from the nose and moving left to right. The coils looking from the nose of the car and moving left to right are as follows: #4, #1, #6, #3, #2, #5. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong!! That's what my service manual says. Dale, Omaha NE

ok guys i have chanhed the fuel filter and checked my wiring and everthing is were itsa supposed to be so i also put some fuel injection cleaner as when i removed the fuel filter the gas was black like dirty or something could i have just got a bad batch of gas... Also i was reading about the crossover making the car run funny well it seams that if i dont press on the gas that much that it runs fine but when i give it gas and the turbo spools up wich i can hear a little high pitch wistle if that is norman ok but when i get into boost the car boggs like eather its gettin too much or noyt enough fuel, and sometimes i can smell the gas... PLEASE guys with all the knollegd here someone got to know

P.S theres a really nice TGP on ebay heres the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6422&item=2460124192

If you have a stock air filter, could be the intake hose from that air filter box to turbo is collapsing, pull off the intake hose from the turbo and go for a quick test on non-dirt(y) roads. Crossover can be the cause but typically shows up at around 4,000 to 4,500 rpms unless you have run with a cracked pipe long enough and the catalytic converter is plugged, this will (heard from other owners) cause a shifting problem as well. Is the shifting problem only during wide open throttle conditions or all the time? Need for details!!! The ignition coil layout is printed in small legal contract size letters on the sticker on your front clip.

Jeff M

ok all the plugs r right and like i said it seams that it boggs down when the turbo gets into boost. as far as the air filter its brand new.. Well i have no cat as it was taken off about a month ago and ran fine since that and just out the blue this starts happening... Now when i put in first and get to about lets say 5000 rpms i hear like a sputter comming threw the pipes but still no power . B4 this happened the car had alot of power, you all know the power of this car so no need to explain... Now when i floor the gas on a roll it shits to 1st and the struggles running till 2nd and so on meaning it feals like im driving an old sunbird with a 4 cyl.. LOL ..

Well id like to tackle the problem b4 i go and buy a o2 sensor and would like more input or things to check... The intake hose is liek brand new so i doubt thats teh problem as if i have a freind hold the brack and slam the gas the turbo spools and motor runs in its spuratic way but the hose is fine.... Also if its in nutraul and park the motor runs Fine even when i rev it up....

THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS

ok all the plugs r right and like i said it seams that it boggs down when the turbo gets into boost. as far as the air filter its brand new.. Well i have no cat as it was taken off about a month ago and ran fine since that and just out the blue this starts happening... Now when i put in first and get to about lets say 5000 rpms i hear like a sputter comming threw the pipes but still no power . B4 this happened the car had alot of power, you all know the power of this car so no need to explain... Now when i floor the gas on a roll it shits to 1st and the struggles running till 2nd and so on meaning it feals like im driving an old sunbird with a 4 cyl.. LOL ..

Well id like to tackle the problem b4 i go and buy a o2 sensor and would like more input or things to check... The intake hose is liek brand new so i doubt thats teh problem as if i have a freind hold the brack and slam the gas the turbo spools and motor runs in its spuratic way but the hose is fine.... Also if its in nutraul and park the motor runs Fine even when i rev it up....

THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS

(Sorry to be blunt, pressed for time here at the shop!!!), I don't care if the air filter is new or whatever, pull off the turbo inlet hose and test anyways! :twisted: As I said, if the rpms struggle around 4,500 rpms, then running rich from pipe, simple $20 o2 might allow you to test this, lot less money than new coils etc!.

BTW, code 31, turbo overboost, which means you ARE SUCKING hard enough to suck the inlet hose with the new (stock????) air filter.

Good luck!

Jeff M

Guest TurboSedan
as when i removed the fuel filter the gas was black like dirty or something could i have just got a bad batch of gas... Also i was reading about the crossover making the car run funny well it seams that if i dont press on the gas that much that it runs fine but when i give it gas and the turbo spools up wich i can hear a little high pitch wistle if that is norman ok but when i get into boost the car boggs like eather its gettin too much or noyt enough fuel, and sometimes i can smell the gas... PLEASE guys with all the knollegd here someone got to know

my car (my Turbo GTS that is) does exactly the same thing when i floor it sometimes. it happened *once* when i was adjusting the grainger valve (boost control - i hit overboost), but it also happens when there is not enough fuel in the tank. the idiot that owned the car before me didn't position the fuel tank sender/pump correctly so the car will run out of gas just below 1/4 tank.

anyway, sounds like overboost with that code 31, but if not that it might also be starved of fuel somehow. i can't believe the gas was black when you changed the fuel filter :!: could the sock filter in the tank be plugged up? have you checked fuel pressure?

joshua

could the sock filter in the tank be plugged up? have you checked fuel pressure?

I was just thinking the same thing. No one's mentioned the fuel pump yet. When a car struggles while being pushed (unless it's a 4 cylinder Sunbird, then it's normal :wink: ), fuel pump is usually at the top of my list of things to check for possible causes.

Ok guys i changed the o2 sensor (jeff) pulled the intake hose took for a ride still same thing ... car loses all power as soon as the turbo begins to spool.... 2500 rpms.... ????? What gives.......... Also checked all vacum lines even the ones under intake manifold and replaced with new gasgets.... still same prob...

Any i deas guys???????? <bump> Also my car dosnt want to stay running in park at idle it seams to stall out... It kind of fluctuates in rpms then stalls alla the time..... even after warmed up.... I really want to get this problem fixed....

PS (jeff) how much is your crossover....

Like stated before....fuel pump. Well after soo manny years...the pump will loose its presure. Also....the fuel dampener will leak presure. Check the fuel presure!. It will deliver fuel at low boost...but when the boost kicks in....the pressured air will try to craw into the injectors since they don't have enough presure....which may cause a backfireing...or detonation cuz of not enough fuel.

Like stated before....fuel pump. Well after soo manny years...the pump will loose its presure. Also....the fuel dampener will leak presure. Check the fuel presure!. It will deliver fuel at low boost...but when the boost kicks in....the pressured air will try to craw into the injectors since they don't have enough presure....which may cause a backfireing...or detonation cuz of not enough fuel.

Could that cause the car to wanna shut off because with mine...its fine until about 75% throttle and then it wants to shut the car off and the gauges start going all crazy on me. :? I hooked up a scan tool to the car and there are no trouble codes and whenever it plays its little game and shuts off on me, the scan tool loses power...so obviously i cant tell what the fuck is going wrong!

well fuel pump seems right ... i PUT A PRESSURE GAGE ON THE FUEL RAIL AND WITH KEY ON I GET 34PSI while in park idle 34psi and when i put in drive and give it gas i get 45 psi... so let mwe know if this is ok....

aLSO FROM UNDER THE HOOD I WILLING TO BET MY CROSOVER IS CRACKED as when i give it gas i can see exaust smoke come from there .....

well fuel pump seems right ... i PUT A PRESSURE GAGE ON THE FUEL RAIL AND WITH KEY ON I GET 34PSI while in park idle 34psi and when i put in drive and give it gas i get 45 psi... so let mwe know if this is ok....

aLSO FROM UNDER THE HOOD I WILLING TO BET MY CROSOVER IS CRACKED as when i give it gas i can see exaust smoke come from there .....

WELL, not that we have something more to go on (GOOD STUFF!!!), lets try this. Keeping in mind your fuel filter was full of junk, and that there may be more in your tank, maybe even plugging up your new filter. Do this test with your fuel pressure gauge hooked up:

Attach fuel pressure gauge, start engine and note reading at idle, should be between 40 to 45 psi (stronger the better), now find the rubber fuel line in front of the ABS Unit and pinch the fuel line return hose noting the fuel pressure as you do this. If your reading shoots up and holds at 75 psi then good fuel pump/bad (again) fuel filter. If the pressure is less than 75 say 60 or even 50, then replace that damn fuel pump and while there flush the tank clean and install a new fuel pump sock filter and in-line fuel filter. If the fuel pressure with the fuel line return hose pinched you got 65-75 psi then bad fuel filter, again meaning your fuel tank is full of junk and you can swap new filters for a while till it's all cleaned out, or flush the tank to clean it out!

Keep going, stay off the frustration and keep pushing the determination!! Reward is the results of a good running car, yours 8) !!

Jeff M

LOL Thanks Jeff ill do that and let you know.... This car is frustrating but cant wait to get it back running right and by the way jeff email me with some prices on your crosover as i know mine is cracked and for the K&N kit with Top Gun Chip let me know.... After the car running right ill get that stuff off you LOL..... michael.schwartzbauer@comcast.net

WELL, not that we have something more to go on (GOOD STUFF!!!), lets try this. Keeping in mind your fuel filter was full of junk, and that there may be more in your tank, maybe even plugging up your new filter. Do this test with your fuel pressure gauge hooked up:

Attach fuel pressure gauge, start engine and note reading at idle, should be between 40 to 45 psi (stronger the better), now find the rubber fuel line in front of the ABS Unit and pinch the fuel line return hose noting the fuel pressure as you do this. If your reading shoots up and holds at 75 psi then good fuel pump/bad (again) fuel filter. If the pressure is less than 75 say 60 or even 50, then replace that damn fuel pump and while there flush the tank clean and install a new fuel pump sock filter and in-line fuel filter. If the fuel pressure with the fuel line return hose pinched you got 65-75 psi then bad fuel filter, again meaning your fuel tank is full of junk and you can swap new filters for a while till it's all cleaned out, or flush the tank to clean it out!

Keep going, stay off the frustration and keep pushing the determination!! Reward is the results of a good running car, yours 8) !!

Jeff M

Ok I checked with the gauge again and heres what i get..

At idle i get 34psi and after i pinch and hold pinched with a hose crimp i get just under 60 psi about 58 to 59psi it fluctuates.. so from what u telling me my pump is bad.....

Let me know what to do should i go and buy a new pump... Stock pump or after market or buy a better pump let me know ASAP

THANKS IN ADVANCE MIKE

If it was a good pinch (return hose completely blocked) then the main problem is your fuel pump, though if you have a ton of crap in the bottom of the tank, will plug up the sock filter there and gunk up the pump innards, either way you got to drop the tank and replace the fuel pump and sock filter (and in line fuel filter). Stock fuel pump EP375 is an upgrade as it comes on the TGP, taken from the Vette’s Parts Bin, so a good choice for stock, chip'd hp and up to 350+. NOTE, many times the large O-Ring that comes out with the fuel pump unit that seals to the top of the gas tank is better than the one included with the new fuel pump, long as its not dried up or damaged, just remember to blow the rocks etc off that area before and during removal of the collar that holds the fuel pump into the tank!

If you do the same pressure test to the new fuel pump, it will dead head the pressure at 75 to 80 psi and flood/stall the engine at idle, that's a good pump :lol:

Better luck now!

Jeff M

Ok new pump in and seams better and when i block the return i get like 75-80 psi so its good ther was nothing in my tank it looked brand new inside but i flushed it any ways and got barrly anything out so i know theres not a dirt problem any more but im dtill gettintg the problem... But i did need a fuel pump as mine was getting week so no big deal.... well what about the fuel presure regulator could that of caused my pump to go bad or is it bad... What should i do... PLease get back asap as i have time to work on it Monday and Tuesday.... I hope im getting closer... Get me running right and im buyin the crossover chip and K&n from u jeff... Well the frustrating level is gone as i feel im gettin closer lol.... Well give me some more thing to do or check and ill get them done....

Thanks In advance

Mike....

Ok new pump in and seams better and when i block the return i get like 75-80 psi so its good ther was nothing in my tank it looked brand new inside but i flushed it any ways and got barrly anything out so i know theres not a dirt problem any more but im dtill gettintg the problem... But i did need a fuel pump as mine was getting week so no big deal.... well what about the fuel presure regulator could that of caused my pump to go bad or is it bad... What should i do... PLease get back asap as i have time to work on it Monday and Tuesday.... I hope im getting closer... Get me running right and im buyin the crossover chip and K&n from u jeff... Well the frustrating level is gone as i feel im gettin closer lol.... Well give me some more thing to do or check and ill get them done....

Thanks In advance

Mike....

That was one of the lowest readings I have seen or heard from a TGP owner, got to get that done especially if you want to run faster :), sorry it was THE main cause but was a (bad) contributor. Since the tank was clean then the inline fuel filter is still good. To test the FPR, grab a short piece of spare vacuum line and attach it to the port where the engine's vacuum line is attached, just follow the very first/closest to you vacuum hard line down to where it turns into a rubber T, pull it off the FPR and attach yours, suck and check for it holding a vacuum, if it holds then its ok, if not then out with it, AND the best time to check the ohms of the injectors (and make sure they are all stock), a couple of bad/very low ohm injectors could take out the injector driver but when that happens, the ECM will shut down and need to cool off before it will return to letting your engine run. Backing up a little, pull some plugs and check their condition and report back, all should be white or near white on the ceramic part and electrode tip, some colors of reddish brown is fine (gas additives) but sooty or oily let us know, like I say, all should look the same! Ok to have some soot/carbon on the ridge at the end of the threads. Would not hurt to do all the plugs and gap them while you are there (.045 stock .040 chip'd), also a small amount of anti-size on the threads, not near the end, just a little in the middle to keep them from freezing up, someone on the other board is screwed from a frozen plug/dead threads in the head :cry: . Even ohm out the wires while there, good to get all this out of the way, and only good for you down the road if you find and fix a problem now, good piece of mind! For some odd reason there might be some turbo hose loose or nearly loose or split you cannot see, pull them all off and clean all that oil off with some contact cleaner (carb cleaner is tooooo aggressive), then inspect for splits. Also check the main engine grounds at the block where it bolts to the tranny case, quite a few down there (front of engine bay area, down and to the right of the starter area.

Keep us informed, good luck!

Jeff M

Ok its fixed....... It was a bad coil..... Got the idea from a Turbo buik guy.... Thanks for all teh help guy and JEFF email me a price for the parts ill buy lol..... Topgun 160 chip , crossover, Intake, etc.....