any grainger valved TGP's out there?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

anyone here running a grainger valve for boost control on a TGP?

just wondering what kind of boost you were running, how it works etc. considering how well they work on my turbo dodge (and my brother's TD's), i am definately planning on running a grainger valve on my TGP engine. it seems so simple w/ a G-valve, but at the same time i want to experiment with chip tuning and wonder if i would be better off controlling boost thru the memcal, and not pneumatically like a grainger valve :?: :?: i'm sure it will probably be quite awhile before i dare run my own chip on a 'good' engine......

today i installed a lower IC hose with a 1g DSM BOV onto my Lebaron GTS, and then installed a grainger valve off of a McMaster-Carr manifold distribution block that i installed onto the intake manifold. this distribution block has several ports for boost gauge, MAP sensor etc. i drove around in the car and frequently tested how the boost felt (w/o a gauge), and went up until i hit overboost cut-out at low RPM in heavy load, at which time i turned it down until no over-boost cutout. my GTS is hella fast now! :) holy crap! altho, i previously had full manifold pressure going to the wastegate so obviously there was alot of room for improvement.

joshua

The stock chip will cut fuel at only 1.5psi over stock (9psi), and a TopGun chip will do the same. You have to get a custom chip for it to do much good. However, on my STE I drilled a hole in my boost controller so that it would leak vacuum, and now it gets ~8.5psi, and I can feel the difference so it helped a little. I have another boost controller with a bigger hole in it, but I hit the fuel cut on cold days with that one, so I only put it on for warm days. But, 1.5psi doesn't do much, so for most it wouldn't be worth it.

Shawn

Guest TurboSedan

good to know that, thanks for the info. i suppose i could get an adjustable overboost eliminator (zener diode between MAP & ECM), but i would still have to find some way to add fuel. i wonder if an alcohol injection kit would add enough fuel for 4 more psi over stock (13.5 psi), or would i have to plumb in a 7th injector?

joshua

with them stock injectors, your not gunna get over about 11#s, so id start off with swapping them out. a 7th injector isnt a bad idea, but im not sure how ya would do it on our motors. Good luck and keep us updated.

-Jeff

I can tell you from experience that it can run 16#'s on stock (Well, stock size :wink:, I have 3800S2 injectors in Black Sunshine) The biggest problem w/ that much boost is there is no timing for it, and because the computer doesn't know what to do, it's not gonna do you any good to get up there. I just happen to have an overboost problem (If you wanna call it that :twisted: ) I can feather the throttle and hold ~15-16 psi. (YES, feather, it sucks my ass) God himself only knows what kind of boost I would hit, if I eliminated my boost fuel cut. I would not suggest it. If you're gonna program yourself, you can go as high as you want, just gotta give it fuel, and timing.