89 cutlass

As far as it being a 5 speed car yes they made them in 89 with either the 2.8 or the quad 4 engines in them. Now for the hurst option no I dont think they made a hurst olds in our year or a 442 option in them either though I have seen the 442 logos on the 89s people put on them. I have a five speed International Im parting out there kinda hard to find. Post some pics of your interior and I think theres 2 other guys on here with 5 speed Internationals and they could tell you or I can tell you if it looks stock and not put in. :D

In 89 the 'HO' car was the calais with a 'high output' version of the Q4 - named MTs best bang for the buck car to boot.

The 3 stick lightning rod car was the 83-84 G (previously A special) body cutlass with the 9 code 307 (C&D found that the sticks made no diff over just letting the valve body shift)

I almost got one of these cars in 88, but the dealer never showed for the appointment so I took the downpayment to a boat show at the mall and the rest is history...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 89 cutlass

• supreme_style21

• 89oldscutlass

• quaddriver

most yenkos came with iron block/head 427's.

the all aluminum ZL1 was a FACTORY option in 69 on vettes and camaros. they made 69 camaros and 2 corvettes with it(or 67/2 but i forget).

CORRECT!!!

they made yenko nova's too

and copo camaros

and dana camaros

the Yenko Camaro was a car converted at a dealer (weren't they in Cali ?)...the car was equipped with an all aluminum big block V8...ZL1 427 I do believe. If I'm not mistaken, one was recently showcased in the movie "2Fast 2Furious". I do believe one of the cars used for filming was an actual Yenko Camaro. They are highly prized by collectors and worth a small fortune IF you can find one. Probably closely followed by the whole group of aftermarket modified Chevy musclecars by "Motion Performance"

nope, they were made in pittsburgh pa as was I(my dad worked for him at one time and there is a photo of a 3yr old me standing next to him)

As far as it being a 5 speed car yes they made them in 89 with either the 2.8 or the quad 4 engines in them. Now for the hurst option no I dont think they made a hurst olds in our year or a 442 option in them either though I have seen the 442 logos on the 89s people put on them. I have a five speed International Im parting out there kinda hard to find. Post some pics of your interior and I think theres 2 other guys on here with 5 speed Internationals and they could tell you or I can tell you if it looks stock and not put in. :D

In 89 the 'HO' car was the calais with a 'high output' version of the Q4 - named MTs best bang for the buck car to boot.

The 3 stick lightning rod car was the 83-84 G (previously A special) body cutlass with the 9 code 307 (C&D found that the sticks made no diff over just letting the valve body shift)

I almost got one of these cars in 88, but the dealer never showed for the appointment so I took the downpayment to a boat show at the mall and the rest is history...

are you talking about a Hurst Olds Calais in 89, if you are there is no such thing. 84 was the last production HO

OK....

just picked out the word VIRGINIA in that ...someone shoulda emailed me!!!

If you know where this HURST place was/is, let me know...we can possibly find it.

I can tell you that there is one large Olds dealer in Richmond...Royal. Been here forever, and we bought 3 Cutlass Supremes(mid 70's through late 80s), a Calais, and my CS was bought from there.

let me know...ill ask my dad if he has ever heard of it. Also, since you said you know the car was bought here, what about any other dealership names, or part of Virginia

jon

are you talking about a Hurst Olds Calais in 89, if you are there is no such thing. 84 was the last production HO

The calais I am talking about is not a G body 'cutlass calais' (although it *was* called the cutlass calais near the end of the run) but a regular calais - a GM N body avail with 3spd auto, 5 spd stick, and the duck, Q4 (2 versions) or a buick 3.0v6

the 'HO' package appeared sporadically, supposedly james garner (jim rockford, maverick etc) had a 2.7L Q4 version in 85 that was done up in HO-pace car paint to mimic the 72 and 74 Indy pace cars but Ive never seen a pic. In 90-91 the HO paint was dropped for 442 paint but in neither case was the car HO or 442 under the hood - it was appearance package only, all the 'stuff' could be had on a 'regular' calais.

How hard would it be to find and purchase those decals and badges on that hurst cutty convert? I know my car isnt one, but i wouldnt mind replica badges on my car. It would be kind of stupid to do a replica of the car completly, but those badges look awesome, i like the 3.4HO badge on the back and the bird on the side of the car.

Respect the Vairs....

I'm with you on that one...I used to own a 66 corsa...that car was such a blast to drive! I was a member of the central virginia corvair club for year or so (before I got laid off from work and had to sell the car)...other than no A/C it was a great little car.

I've actually got a 66 Monza ragtop, 110hp. Marina blue with the blue interior, needs some work.

On the note of the Calais Pace car, I've got a trading card set of Indy cars and the pace cars. I have the '88 Cutlass, and I think the Calais was in there too. I'll find them and scan a few choice pics when I get back to my apt.

The calais I am talking about is not a G body 'cutlass calais' (although it *was* called the cutlass calais near the end of the run) but a regular calais - a GM N body avail with 3spd auto, 5 spd stick, and the duck, Q4 (2 versions) or a buick 3.0v6

the 'HO' package appeared sporadically, supposedly james garner (jim rockford, maverick etc) had a 2.7L Q4 version in 85 that was done up in HO-pace car paint to mimic the 72 and 74 Indy pace cars but Ive never seen a pic. In 90-91 the HO paint was dropped for 442 paint but in neither case was the car HO or 442 under the hood - it was appearance package only, all the 'stuff' could be had on a 'regular' calais.

this is the 85 pace car driven by James Garner

1985oldsmobilepacecar.jpg

90-91 442 were done like this

johncfront.jpg

this is the 85 pace car driven by James Garner

well hell that does not look anything like the 72/74 HO pace cars - they were white over gold with tan interiors

btw I have the last cutlass - the 98/99 L/N platform, the only cutlass bodies I didnt have was the 63-67 A or the 88-97 W

Yea, they shamed the name with those Chalais getting "the Packages". The 442 should have gone on the 2dr. Cierra in my opinion but they had the "GT". It also was Buick powered so maybe thats why they choose the Chalais because that was the only all Olds car they were producing. The Supremes would have been good also but they were Chevy powered. Chalais should have been a "452" four cylinder, 5sp. twincam. :lol: But on that body :shock: ? Atleast maybe a special fastback version or something sporty.

The ZL1 427 was all aluminum, and it actually made nearly 600 hp, not the 430 that was in the books... talk about underrated. They had em in the COPO Camaro ZL1 and the Corvette L88 ZL1, only two of which were made. One ran a 10.9 sec 1/4 STOCK, except for drag radials.

That's one damn nice Corvair... my friend Jimmy has a rare 66 Monza Corvair, it has the N/A flat 6 engine.

I think the way those Lightning Rod levers work is you just pull back on the one for the appropriate gear, and it goes into that gear. Strange, but cool. Very cool.

By the way, the Camaro in 2f2f wasn't a genuine Yenko, it was just a Camaro with a 427 swap (not ZL1, either) Most of the 'yenko' camaros used for filming were merely 350 models, with stickers.