89 cutlass

Hi! I just bought a 1989 Cutlass International from a neighbors brother. He bought the car new and there's a few things I'd like to clear up. This car has a 5 speed manual transmission, is this factory? It also has a metal Hurst equipped badge on the console just behind the 5 speed shifter and a larger metal Hurst equipped emblem on the right side trunk lid. On both quarter windows there's etched in H/O with Hurst spelled out in the 'H' and Olds in the 'O' etched right in the glass. I have the original window sticker if anyone needs that info. The original owner said it's an International series with the Hurst options. I've never heard of it and I know of no factory 5 speed Olds Cutlass of this body style [or never saw one]. There are 'International' emblems on the hood, trunk and doors. I'm wondering if this is all true or what and if so how rare is it? It's a real cool car!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 89 cutlass

• supreme_style21

• 89oldscutlass

• quaddriver

Really, it is real then? The window sticker shows the International package and I've heard of and seen them before but I've never seen or heard of a 5 speed manual trans Cutlass. The car was advertised in the paper and when I went to see it I was absolutely shocked it was a 5 speed. I was thinking of the 442 which I understand means 4 barrel, 4 speed and 2 [dual] exhaust but Hurst and 442 are different. I bought it after 2 days of pondering, glad I didn't miss out. I was thinking of making some $ on eBay but I like it so much I've decided to sell my newer Grand AM and driving the Cutlass. Thanks

As far as it being a 5 speed car yes they made them in 89 with either the 2.8 or the quad 4 engines in them. Now for the hurst option no I dont think they made a hurst olds in our year or a 442 option in them either though I have seen the 442 logos on the 89s people put on them. I have a five speed International Im parting out there kinda hard to find. Post some pics of your interior and I think theres 2 other guys on here with 5 speed Internationals and they could tell you or I can tell you if it looks stock and not put in. :D

I was answering supreme_style21's first post when I looked and saw more. No, it's not the Lightening Rods just a straight 5 speed. To answer 89oldscutlass, I don't have a digital camera [unless Santa brings me one] but it's definately a factory International, 5 speed getrag and a 2.8 V6 after reading the original window sticker. There's no mention of any Hurst option other than on the little dealer options sticker listing dealer prep $280, rustproofing $150 and Hurst package $120.00

other than on the little dealer options sticker listing dealer prep $280, rustproofing $150 and Hurst package $120.00

Ahha.. I bet its just some junk the dealership threw on there. Ordered a couple badges.. etched some stuff into the window.. badabing.

I've seen them in the older Cutlass's, like in 1984/5 with the Hurst Olds special paint and such.

There's no special striping on this car other than it's a darker gray with lighter gray on the bottom. There's no striping just the Hurst Emblem on the trunk lid and International emblems in various places. It has bucket seats in the front and back and an embroidered H in the headrests.

I just did a web search and saw a couple of those Yenko's. It looks like it was a dealer in Mechanicsburg, PA names Yenko. I also saw one '69 Yenko Camaro priced at $150,000! I've never heard of them before, looks nice and evidently rare. I'd take 5% of that for this Cutlass LOL! I paid $1500 for it and I believe I got a great deal.

I'd love to see some pics of that, I've got one of the 89 Int. series.

212886_13_full.jpg

Does it have a Hurst shift knob? If so can you feel through the shift boot if it has a round or flat bar shift stick? I believe all Cutlass's have the flat bar. I'd give anything for a Hurst shift knob set up for the flat bar.

EDIT: I am SO taking a new pic of the console, I've redone the carpet on the console and it's much cleaner, that pic makes my piece of junk look like a piece of junk.

The DEH-p77 LOVES CDR's oddly enough, maybe it's because it's a newer model. Great radio all around, love the remote, and no 1-din tiny face deck that sticks out an inch with an ugly plastic surround that doesnt match anything (Ive had my share of those)

EDIT: I paid $155 shipped, thru ebay, reman unit with new face and factory warr