Starting Sequence Gone Crazy

skippyarlva

I picked up a 1993 3.4 Cutlass Convert from a neighbor and it has been a great car. Red body, gray interior and black top. But, the car has suddenly gone crazy. When I start the car, it goes thru a sequence of tests quickly checking all the dash lights, radio and climate controls. The sequence just continues round and round. I pulled the fuse that stopped it, but now I have no climate control or dash gauges (except fuel).

I searched threads on the board to see if someone else has experienced the same problem, and I could not find one.

I disconnected the battery and checked all the connections. No improvement.

Electrical is my weakest area and I need some direction. Any thoughts?

loose auxilary post nut.

loose ground wire at base of column.

defective ignition switch.

Any of those three, and it that order from most to least likely, is your probable source of the issue.

the aux post is part of the electric box just to the rear of the battery. 94/95 and earlier cars use a crummy thin brass ring washer that loosens with age. Sometime during 1995, higher quality nuts were used in the same location. Second gen cars also use the same revised nut on the aux post(s) on the opposite side of the engine bay. Seek out a junkyard for one of these nuts.

there will be ground wires near the base of the column. make sure they are not loose.