Anti-Lock ABS light on after Battery Change

Afubar

I've done a search here and have not found my exact problem. Here's the story, I took car (1993 Olds Custlass Supreme Vert) in to have low coolant sensor replaced, I'd bought the part intending to do it myself, but never got around to it, so took it in. The next day I went to start car and battery was pretty dead (not totally, but close enough. Have never had problems before, but as I don't know how old it was, put charger on it, got it started, took to Advance Auto Parts store, had battery tested, dead cell, had them replace. Started car and noticed the Anti-Lock ABS light was on, figured that the computer needed to reset itself, drove around and light did not go off, took back to store and asked them what gives, they stated they could not scan a car older that a 96, stated sometimes computer needs to reset it's self.

So what do you guys, who know and love these cars think?

On a side note: Horn does not work, Yes, I know that the pads in the steering wheel is often the problem, here's the question, has anyone here ever run a separate horn button and if so How?

Many Thanks again guys, you are simply the best.

Kaye

Unbolt the negative battery cable and then rebolt and see if that helps, if not jack up both ends and check the sensors at each wheel and the associated connections and wiring. Is changing one of those sensors on a 3.4 DOHC that big of a deal? I never have messed with one so I don't know. I got a 3100. I would be worried when a car came back from a shop WITHOUT any new issues coming up, I`ll never take mine to one again.

I had an issue awhile back when I activated my hazards that my ABS would light up, inspection didn't come up with anything and I still had ABS functioning. It stopped after unplugging all off the whel sensors on inspection and some members have mentioned over the years that dirt and such can build up on them causing the light.

I've done a search here and have not found my exact problem. Here's the story, I took car (1993 Olds Custlass Supreme Vert) in to have low coolant sensor replaced, I'd bought the part intending to do it myself, but never got around to it, so took it in. The next day I went to start car and battery was pretty dead (not totally, but close enough. Have never had problems before, but as I don't know how old it was, put charger on it, got it started, took to Advance Auto Parts store, had battery tested, dead cell, had them replace. Started car and noticed the Anti-Lock ABS light was on, figured that the computer needed to reset itself, drove around and light did not go off, took back to store and asked them what gives, they stated they could not scan a car older that a 96, stated sometimes computer needs to reset it's self.

So what do you guys, who know and love these cars think?

On a side note: Horn does not work, Yes, I know that the pads in the steering wheel is often the problem, here's the question, has anyone here ever run a separate horn button and if so How?

Many Thanks again guys, you are simply the best.

Kaye

I don't know about YOUR specific YEAR/MODEL/and ENGINE.

But, yes, there are a "few" very odd/rare GM OBD-I ABS diag protocols.

I know very well!! :) I have a 92 and 94 Achieva, VERY VERY VERY FEW (get the idea :)) ABS code/scanners can read the 92-94 Achievas.

The good news is that any GM dealership should be able to read the codes. And, some better setup local garages.

There are also a *few* scanners that can read the odd GM 90's ABS codes.

Then, there are the "majority" of the GM ABS 90's systems. They can be read with a cheap LED blinking scanner, or some even with a paper clip.

Again, I do not know what YOUR specific YEAR/MODEL/and ENGINE require for in terms of ABS scanners.

The Older GM TECH-II Scanners can read all of the ABS codes and display data for the older GMs. :-)

My TECH-II CHINA CLONE (~$700) works fine on my Achievas. :)

Capturing an engine misfire because of a vacuum leak in the power brake booster of my Intrigue:

misfire_capture_sm.jpg

Fwiw, my older Scanmate Scanner (~$600+) can also read and record the weird GM ABS codes: :)

abs_error_92_olds_LF_motor_current.jpg

I know that there are other scanners that work.

But, I don't know first hand, and haven't seen any proof (as in pictures) of what does and does not work.

So, imho, pay the rip off ~$100 that a dealer/garage will charge, and find out what the codes are.

Btw, it's liklely coincidence that the ABS went bad. Could be many things (200++ tests are done).

For me, as the graph showed, I had a bad ABS main motor/module/controller (the part that that connects to the master cylinder).

Ebay, new module, bleed the brakes, been great. I also put a new MC on at the same time since it was cheap and I was bleeding the system anyway. :)

Btw, at 22+ YEARS OLD, don't expect these ABS controllers to last forever and forever. :)

Good Luck!

Edited by Cutlass350

Thanks for the replies, I have made an appointment for Thursday Morning to have codes pulled, will report back.

BTW, my local GM dealer stated they did NOT have the ability to pull the codes on a OBD-1.

Thanks Again

Kaye

I have seen scanners at AutoZone that said they read a `93 Cutlass, Surely they can read ABS codes as well. You should still be able to flash your codes on the dash with the paper clip trick. You might try a large used car dealership that has a dedicated garage that works on them. They might scan it for you.

Im slowly learning my way the a PC laptop program called TunerPro RT that can function like a scan tool with the right ALDL cable you hook your laptop up to your car. Unsure if it does ABS codes yet, im still a beginner at it.

Unsure if it does ABS codes yet, im still a beginner at it.

yes. could also do the functionality tests as well if one were to know the commands to do so(i have some of them figured out).

Here's the scoop. According to the scanner, I had a loose anti-lock ABS relay caused but the auto parts store employee that installed the new battery. Light is now off. I went back to the store and informed the manager, his response, Gee, I'm sorry. I informed him that in the future I would be taking my business elsewhere. Costs me 79 bucks to find out Advance Auto Parts sucks. Live and learn.