Regal gs suspension overhaul and options thread

Suedechrist

Okay starting this post to be more on the point of suspension issues with the w body regals and our options on what to upgrade. Please school me if needed and i do need some. I have in boxs kyb gr2 struts. Should i buy new stock springs? If i do go with lowering springs are the zzp ones a good option? I am only looking for the 1inch drop they advertise. Let me know what you think. I may be re-using the old springs depending on what you guys say.

Get a sway bar off a 2000-05 monte ss, front. Its 34mm. Grab a dorman rear bar. You can make a rear strut tower brace by using a stock front tower brace and drilling the hole in the rear strut towers. You already have the good 13.2:1 steering rack, thats wjat i put in my monte :). Unsure on lowering springs as i just cut mine :)

Okay starting this post to be more on the point of suspension issues with the w body regals and our options on what to upgrade. Please school me if needed and i do need some. I have in boxs kyb gr2 struts. Should i buy new stock springs? If i do go with lowering springs are the zzp ones a good option? I am only looking for the 1inch drop they advertise. Let me know what you think. I may be re-using the old springs depending on what you guys say.

you know i had a feeling these springs were the only thing saving my car at the moment, i am going to keep them because i have heard from a lot of people my stock springs are awesome and i should keep them to avoid having to buy dog bones in order to avoid excess cv stress.. looks like im keepin them.. i will look for that sway as well how ever the stock one i have is actually quite massive..

Monte ss bars are the gmpp bar

you know i had a feeling these springs were the only thing saving my car at the moment, i am going to keep them because i have heard from a lot of people my stock springs are awesome and i should keep them to avoid having to buy dog bones in order to avoid excess cv stress.. looks like im keepin them.. i will look for that sway as well how ever the stock one i have is actually quite massive..

Monte ss bars are the gmpp bar

k well mine is solid and over 1'' thick.. :P its flippen huge... i wonder if i should cut my springs to lower them? or just buy lowering springs.. blahh... ???

Unless youre wanting to slam it id buy lowering springs

k well mine is solid and over 1'' thick.. :P its flippen huge... i wonder if i should cut my springs to lower them? or just buy lowering springs.. blahh... ???

i dont see how that is possible unless it is stock?? the lady i bought the car off of got it from her dad because he died and he was blind so he never got to drive it, he only got to ride in it once a week lol.. thats how it lived its life until his daughter got it and she was a middle aged lady who sold it to me after puttin on a few k.. no work has been done to it other than servicing..

I know the original bars are bad about breaking(theyre hollow) and a new dorman bar is cheaper than a new stock bar. Mebbe a shop did it as a repair type service?

i dont see how that is possible unless it is stock?? the lady i bought the car off of got it from her dad because he died and he was blind so he never got to drive it, he only got to ride in it once a week lol.. thats how it lived its life until his daughter got it and she was a middle aged lady who sold it to me after puttin on a few k.. no work has been done to it other than servicing..

From what I've heard the Buicks do have a bit of sag in the back.

I'd probably just buy a new stock set of springs, I've heard (but have never conformed) that Intrigue springs make the back of the car ride a touch higher. However I just put new stock springs on the back of my buddies GP GT and that brought the ride height back up so take that for what its worth.

I don't know what direction you intend to go with the car, but In my experience lowering springs generally make the car ride like total junk. Not a route I'd take.

But yeah new struts, I'd buy someplace other then ZZP unless they actually are the cheapest. The GR2/ExcellG are widely available.

As far as springs go, the Regal's do tend to sag in the back. I'm currently using a set of Intrigue springs in the back of my 99 and they took care of the sag my car had. You can also find similar springs in the police Impala's too. If your rear springs aren't sagging yet, there's a really good chance that they will start to down the road here. It might be worth doing it now while you're working on the car rather than waiting for it to happen.

As far as lowering springs go, I've heard that most of them out there will tend to sag too after a while too. Also keep in mind with lowering springs you'll have to raise the motor and transmission to correct the CV joint angle. You'll also want to get anti-pogo washers for the struts.

From what I've heard the Buicks do have a bit of sag in the back.

I'd probably just buy a new stock set of springs, I've heard (but have never conformed) that Intrigue springs make the back of the car ride a touch higher. However I just put new stock springs on the back of my buddies GP GT and that brought the ride height back up so take that for what its worth.

I don't know what direction you intend to go with the car, but In my experience lowering springs generally make the car ride like total junk. Not a route I'd take.

But yeah new struts, I'd buy someplace other then ZZP unless they actually are the cheapest. The GR2/ExcellG are widely available.

for shipping to canada and prices around here yeah zzp is the cheapest by far!! .. local guy wants 140 a piece for the naked strut.. zzp wants 239 for 4 and 95 shipping and handling. .. only thing killing me is the weak canadian dollar right now.. dropped from par down to 90 cents on the u.s dollar in less than 2 months.. WTF!!! ..

lowering springs make it ride like junk?? i know the fenders are built so the crown of the fender is higher on the front than the back ,, giving it a sagging look.. my buddy says his gtp handles crazy now that it is lowered.. i would think the same for my regal? ? l67ss also told my stock springs are already awesome.. checked them out today and yeah they are a heavy duty spring.. i think to save money im just going to keep old springs.. if i hate the height.. i will change it ..

lol.. what if i currently like where the back is but i want the front to look the same?? only lowering the car an inch with lowering springs shouldnt be to harsh.. wont the shorter dog bones take car of where the motor sits in comparison??

for shipping to canada and prices around here yeah zzp is the cheapest by far!! .. local guy wants 140 a piece for the naked strut.. zzp wants 239 for 4 and 95 shipping and handling. .. only thing killing me is the weak canadian dollar right now.. dropped from par down to 90 cents on the u.s dollar in less than 2 months.. WTF!!! ..

lowering springs make it ride like junk?? i know the fenders are built so the crown of the fender is higher on the front than the back ,, giving it a sagging look.. my buddy says his gtp handles crazy now that it is lowered.. i would think the same for my regal? ? l67ss also told my stock springs are already awesome.. checked them out today and yeah they are a heavy duty spring.. i think to save money im just going to keep old springs.. if i hate the height.. i will change it ..

Ride quality =/= handling.

Yes lowered cars handle significantly better. My GTP is lowered, it has GMPP front and rear sway bars and strut braces, and it handles very well. But it rides like complete trash. Every little bump is miserable and thanks to the worn out struts the car then continues to bounce after the initial bounce. I describe this is a brick on top of a bowl of jello.

My B&G springs should be coming off some time this year. I have a set of GMPP springs to throw on it (not as low but very good ride quality) and I will buy a set of KYB AGX adjustable struts. The car should ride and handle supremely well then.

Also GTP stock springs >> Regal GS springs. Just changing your car to GTP springs would improve ride and handling.

Checked rpo codes on a stock gtp, fe1

Ride quality =/= handling.

Yes lowered cars handle significantly better. My GTP is lowered, it has GMPP front and rear sway bars and strut braces, and it handles very well. But it rides like complete trash. Every little bump is miserable and thanks to the worn out struts the car then continues to bounce after the initial bounce. I describe this is a brick on top of a bowl of jello.

My B&G springs should be coming off some time this year. I have a set of GMPP springs to throw on it (not as low but very good ride quality) and I will buy a set of KYB AGX adjustable struts. The car should ride and handle supremely well then.

Also GTP stock springs >> Regal GS springs. Just changing your car to GTP springs would improve ride and handling.

Means regal springs are stiffer

Actually does not necessarily mean that, the 3 digit code on the spring itself tells you whats going on, However you'd need to find a spring code table to give you an idea of exactly whats going on. I'd find it hard to believe the Buick's got stiffer springs then a Pontiac. Though a GS may. All I know is when my buddy and I put GTP springs on his GS (with new struts) ride quality improved dramatically.

Actually does not necessarily mean that, the 3 digit code on the spring itself tells you whats going on, However you'd need to find a spring code table to give you an idea of exactly whats going on. I'd find it hard to believe the Buick's got stiffer springs then a Pontiac. Though a GS may. All I know is when my buddy and I put GTP springs on his GS (with new struts) ride quality improved dramatically.

I would hope so :P.. Lol.. I mean it is all brand new and remember buick may be labeled an old person brand but there products were built to a much higher standard and quality than the rest of GM.. It doesnt surprise me at all especially with GS and its bragged about grand touring suspension.