Optional (tach-amp-oil) cluster drop in or require more wiring? 92 GP LE

aaron7

We've got the good ol' base model LE 92 Grand Prix and there's one in the local boneyard with the optional tach/voltage/oil gauge cluster.

Our odometer is dead anyways and our shift indicator doesn't work so I have good reason to swap it for a replacement.

Wonder if (as with other cars I've had) the cluster just swaps out and works (as it's prewired) or would I have to wire all sorts of stuff and add sensors?

I think you just have to change out the oil pressure sender

We've got the good ol' base model LE 92 Grand Prix and there's one in the local boneyard with the optional tach/voltage/oil gauge cluster.

Our odometer is dead anyways and our shift indicator doesn't work so I have good reason to swap it for a replacement.

Wonder if (as with other cars I've had) the cluster just swaps out and works (as it's prewired) or would I have to wire all sorts of stuff and add sensors?

if the wires are present in the harness, it should plug in without any kind of rewiring. will need the longer oil pressure sensor at the very least to get that guage functional.

i don't know if the base clusters had issues with them, but expect a possible combo of problems with the sport cluster, including tach/speedo reading incredibly off and check guages/low fuel light going on and off whenever they feel like it. i've seen cracked odometer drive gears in more than a few as well, along with the trip reset function not quite working due to broken "fingers".