'91 GTP 284 Weirdness..

GP1138

So, this morning I went to move the GTP off the street to take a look at the shift cable and see if I could patch it.

History: the car has a possible bad 1/2 syncro, that seems to come and go. The shift select cable let go right as I took possession of the car.

I go to put it in gear, and all four gears I can reach are all grinding at a stop. I cannot put it in gear. Additionally, it's a bitch to start. I had to pump the clutch and slam it a couple of times to get it to start. I started it in first and managed to get it up the block, but once I did, same thing, could not shift gears because they were all grinding. Had to shut it off again and start it in first, which it barely wanted to do.

I'm thinking the clutch is out of adjustment and that's why the gears are grinding. I'm seriously wondering if the 1/2 synchro is fine and the clutch is just majorly out of adjustment and that's why 1/2 grind sometimes. Still wouldn't explain why all other gears engage OK no matter what, I guess, but stranger things have happened.

Anyone with this transmission have any insight? I'm going to search a little on how to adjust the clutch engagement, but does this sound familiar to anyone else?

There is no adjustment to the clutch hydraulics. remove the small black plug on the front of the trans so you can see the clutch fork and have someone else work the clutch so you can watch the amount of movement.

will the car try to move if you have it in first and try to start it (foot off brake, clutch pushed in)?

No, it does not. It appears to work properly, unless the clutch is TOTALLY fucked, but it stalls readily if I do not give it enough gas when engaging, so I really don't think that's the case.

Something is strange about it though. I notice when driving, sometimes 1/2 can be shifted into just fine, sometimes they spin and I have to wait for them to stop. I don't know if that's par for a 284 but it doesn't do it every time.

The more I read about clutch drag, the more I think that's what's going on here. I'll have to read up some more to see if air is getting into the system. It would explain a lot of things I've noticed about this car's shifting strangeness.