1990 Lumina: Spongy brake pedal

LUMINATOR

Hey guys! I just picked up a 1990 Lumina, Base model with the 3.1 in it. It needed some brake work when I got it. So I replaced both rear calibers with re-manufactured ones from O'reillys with new rotors, and pads installed also. I took a peak at the front calipers and they seem fine, no signs of leaks. The pads on the front also had plenty of meat left on them!

Once I got everything buttoned up and installed, I started the bleeding process. Everything was working properly fluid was coming out of all calipers around the car with no air bubbles noticeable. Put the tires on, hoped into the car checked the brake petal nice and firm! So I fired it up to get it out of the garage and the brake petal was spongy. Took it for a spin the petal stayed the same, spongy and not responsive. Then I tried a test, I shut the car off pumped the brakes up until the petal was nice and hard. I kept pressure on the petal with my foot started the engine and the petal fell close to the floor(About halfway down). I also tried pumping the brakes when the car was running that didn't help ether, they were still spongy. Could this be a sign of a bad master cylinder or brake booster? If you guys could help me I would really appreciate it! Thank you.

1. Rear brake calipers are adjusted by using the park brake. Replace the calipers, you need to stand on the park brake a few times. I'd start there, and go to the master cylinder or booster only if adjusting the rear calipers doesn't work.

2. Take the flowers out from under the dash. Shouldn't be any petals, just the gas and brake (and maybe clutch) pedals.

1. I need to to hit the emergency brake a few times to adjust the rear calipers?

2. What are flowers? And where is it located underneath the dash? I have no idea of what that is or what it looks like.

Thanks Schurkey

1. I need to to hit the emergency brake a few times to adjust the rear calipers?

While you're at it, make sure your park cables are all free and working properly and you can adjust up the cables, they need to be to ensure that the park brake levers apply & release all the way. When all is doing what it should be doing your *pedal* should at the top of it's stroke.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just going to post about this same problem. Im having the same issue with my 92 cutlass it always had a funny peddle but now that i just did new rear rubber lines i barely have a peddle when the engine is running. I bled the system 5 times and they are good quality lines and i have no leaks that i can see so im thinking the only other option wold be the master cylinder idk about yours but mine looks pretty old