Vin X engine with bad oxygen sensor- Symptoms?

95LQ1VERT

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 95LQ1VERT

• Galaxie500XL

• RobertISaar

• Schurkey

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the 24x sensor last night, what joy, anyways I still am having an intermittent missfire at idle. Scantool is showing bad cyl #6 and code p1640 (QDM) A. Also in the data stream every so often it shows "QUAD DRIVER 1: BAD" but sometimes it says its OK? Getting pretty damn irrated at this SOB

EDIT: My Hanes manual says nothing about he DTC im having.

Went ahead and replaced the evaporative purge solenoid, codes are no longer present. Missfire is still F*cking there. Im guessing I have a burnt valve or a plugged injector:shrug:

I had to do the same to mine when I first bought it...apparently a fairly common problem with the purge solenoid. Most frustrating was I couldn't find any detail WHAT devices the Quad driver ran..

Sorry to hear about the misfire..I'm assuming you've already tried a different coil, and ICM?

Went ahead and replaced the evaporative purge solenoid, codes are no longer present. Missfire is still F*cking there. Im guessing I have a burnt valve or a plugged injector:shrug:

I had to do the same to mine when I first bought it...apparently a fairly common problem with the purge solenoid. Most frustrating was I couldn't find any detail WHAT devices the Quad driver ran..

Sorry to hear about the misfire..I'm assuming you've already tried a different coil, and ICM?

Not yet I havent, dont really know how to remove them as I can't see the bolts.

I'd recommend a patient friend when you go to reinstall the parts. The six bolts that hold the coils in place also hold the ICM in place..when you go to reassemble, it can be rather challenging to hold the ICM, and the first coil in place, while simultaneously starting the bolts in the first coil. What I did was remove the cooling fan to gain space, then started a couple of bolts on opposite corners of the ICM, starting with the middle coil as my first to install. Careful not to overtighten the coils, please don't ask me how I learned that lesson. :roll:

BTW, 3400's use the EXACT same coil and ICM as the LQ1...my current set came from an Intrigue..got the entire set for about $40.00 at the junkyard. MUCH cheaper than buying new, and since the 3400 coils sit on top of the motor, much easier than other 60 degree V-6's to harvest.:thumbsup:

Thank you Al! Now I just have to get the parts lined up and find some time.

Thanks for the tip Dan, There are plenty 3400 powered cars at the local upull it. All I need for tools to take to the JY is a 5.5mm deep socket, maybe an extension and a ratchet right?

You could do it that way, but I took the entire bracket, and left the coils and ICM attached to the bracket...the junkyard charged me less that way..they didn't seem to realize (or care) that I was also buying the ICM..besides, that made it less likely I'd damage the parts before I installed them.

Thanks for the tip Dan, There are plenty 3400 powered cars at the local upull it. All I need for tools to take to the JY is a 5.5mm deep socket, maybe an extension and a ratchet right?

Okay well good! Now we all know that we can use the same ICM and coils from majority of the 60* 6! :dance:

Galaxie500XL did you remove both cooling fans or what? And when you did the coils/ICM, did you access them from the top or bottom?

I recall only removing the driver's side cooling fan, and I accessed them from the top. Way too much crap in the general area to get a good shot at them from the bottom. I used a helper (my son) to hold the ICM in place while I got a couple of screws started on the corners, then mounted the center coil first. After the first one is (finally) mounted, the rest are pretty easy.

Okay well good! Now we all know that we can use the same ICM and coils from majority of the 60* 6! :dance:

Galaxie500XL did you remove both cooling fans or what? And when you did the coils/ICM, did you access them from the top or bottom?

Im kind of skeptical of this misfire being coil/ICM related considering the fact that the miss is @ idle and not under load and its happening on just cylinder #6 (from what my scan tool is telling me). Unless a weak coil would cause this?

My ideas on why its missing:

- *maybe* dirty fuel injector

- *maybe* cam timing is wrong

- *maybe* weak coil

- *maybe* ICM

- *maybe* DTC p1640 - I will scan again after work to be sure if I still have this code

From what I understand, In my haynes manual electrical diagram it shows "canister purge sol ctrl" @ the PCM and it has a line that goes evap emis canister purge solenoid then it intersects into the EGR asembly for solenoids A B and C then returns to the PCM, power steering pressure switch which returns to the PCM, and the engine emis fuse 15a in the under hood electrical center #1.

What im getting at is that I dont have the variable orifice powersteering anymore, just a basic unit. Could this be my DTC p1640 im getting?

I've been reluctant to mention, a burned valve will cause similar symptoms...usually, you'll find that by doing a compression test...

Im kind of skeptical of this misfire being coil/ICM related considering the fact that the miss is @ idle and not under load and its happening on just cylinder #6 (from what my scan tool is telling me). Unless a weak coil would cause this?

My ideas on why its missing:

- *maybe* dirty fuel injector

- *maybe* cam timing is wrong

- *maybe* weak coil

- *maybe* ICM

- *maybe* DTC p1640 - I will scan again after work to be sure if I still have this code

The exhaust valves of my '93 Lumina looked terrible when I yanked the head to replace the head gasket. So did the exhaust valves of the spare pair of heads I bought.

After grinding, and before. All 24 exhaust valves looked like this:

Lumina_Valves_01.jpg

The exhaust seats, on the other hand, looked wonderful.

Thanks for the reference Schurkey, This week when I get paid I'll have to run a compression test. But im wondering how in the world would I be able to check the rear banks compression? Could I do the front three and get the numbers or do I need all six?

Thanks for the reference Schurkey, This week when I get paid I'll have to run a compression test. But im wondering how in the world would I be able to check the rear banks compression? Could I do the front three and get the numbers or do I need all six?

You'll want all six.

OTC and others sell a compression tester extension for recessed spark plug holes. The OTC version is imported from China or Korea--I forget which.

http://www.amazon.com/COMPRESSION-TSTR-DP-WELL-CONNECTOR/dp/B00C7JWV6I/ref=sr_1_38?ie=UTF8&qid=1366041056&sr=8-38&keywords=OTC+compression

I don't remember paying anywhere near $50 for mine, though. Shop around, I bet you can find 'em for half that much.

[EDIT}

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-5603-Compression-Tester-Connector/dp/B000R5ARJ2/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1366041173&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=OTC+5603