ricklovin93

One fan works the other does not, pulled the non working fan and connected to a spare battery and it does work, so im guessing its the relay for the one of them but my question is which relay is for which fan

post-7149-143689113661_thumb.jpg the fan that does not work is the one on the passanger side so im guessing its considered fan 2 when it comes to the relay, anyone know this for sure?

Also off topic a bit, theres a real nice regal coupe with 70,000 miles near my house, green,column shift, trailing arm mounts look perfect, paint is pretty good, and the interior is nice but needs a cleaning, have yet totalk to the owner but if everything runs good what price range should i be looking at?

Fan #2, and it doesn't kick on till very high temps. You can test the relay by putting a piece of wire in one of the sockets, putting the relay on top of it, and then touching the wire to ground. Would have to go out and look at my car to tell ya for sure, but wouldn't worry unless you're overheating.

fan 2 won't come on until you hit a ridiculously high coolant temp or have a really high pressure in the A/C system.

how are you testing them? just letting the coolant get hot? fan 1 is almost always sufficient to bring the temps back down, so fan 2 will rarely get turned on.

Fan 2 coming on usually isn't good news, in my experience...

As far as testing the relay for fan 2, out of an abundance of caution, why not simply switch the relays temporarily? The relays are the same for both fans...

fan 2 won't come on until you hit a ridiculously high coolant temp or have a really high pressure in the A/C system.

how are you testing them? just letting the coolant get hot? fan 1 is almost always sufficient to bring the temps back down, so fan 2 will rarely get turned on.

I'd like to have them both running and workin properly I recently was in a situation where fan 1 couldn't keep up and left me on the side of the road until it cooled down

which car is this?

and swapping the relays around will test the relays, but it won't test the relay wiring for fan #2, should the relay come up as good.

i have a 96 MC 3100 file pulled up

fan 1:

on at 108 (226)

off at 104 (219)

fan 2:

on at 113 (235)

off at 109 (228)

keep in mind, the guage isn't anywhere near as accurate as the ECM. grab the datastream value to be certain it's not coming on when the PCM commands it to.