Hi, Everyone,

I have a '94 Olds Cutlass with the 3.1 L engine. The fuel pump seems to be "growling" when the car is running. It's not terribly loud, but I can easily hear it at idle. I can also hear it when I first turn the key to the 'Run' position as the fuel pump primes. I noticed this on a friends '93 Lumina as well. Is this a common issue on our cars?

I removed the fuel pump from the tank and thought I had found the problem, but after installing the tank again, it still does it. When I took it down, it looked like the pump had turned enough that it was vibrating against the metal fuel lines. That didn't seem to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this? Thanks in advance.

Tony Graczyk

There is a part caled the pulsator, costs about $5 from the parts store. Its supposed to absorb the vibration of fuel movement from the pump, also there should be a foam sleve around the pump which dampens the pump's mechanical vibration. Another piece is a rubber isolator on the bottom of the pump, also used to dampen mechanical vibration. You should check those things out, but the pulsator is somthing you cant check, you just replace it.