Feels like a miss... in park?

alec_b

So on the '02 GP.... when I'm sitting and idling in park or neutral, basically no load on the engine, I can feel the occasional hiccup in the motor. Feels like random intermittent misfires. It idles butter smooth in any driven gear, forward or reverse.

I've also noticed when I'm heavy on the throttle, which is rarely, I can feel "spikes" in the power delivery, for lack of a better word. The best way to describe it would be like a turbo boosting on and off over the rev range. You can actually feel the car pull, then slack, then pull again. It does NOT misfire during these events. No CEL either.

From a visual stance, the ignition components look newer, however I haven't pulled a plug to check what kind/condition the plugs are. I'm willing to bet that at 194k miles the fuel pump is original, I'm almost wondering if it just can't keep up when demand is highest. I plan on doing a fuel filter soon just because I don't know when it was done.

Is there any other common issues with 3x00 engines I should look for? Dirty MAF perhaps?

My car has the same little hiccup at idle. I haven't had any other issues, so I haven't done anything with it yet. Like urbex said, it's probably just old plugs/wires.

It's not frequent enough to set a CEL.

I should also not that I took her on a trip today, and averaged 34.2 mpg on the way up and 29.5 on the way back, in a hurry. So mileage isn't terribly effected. And that's on shitty MN ethanol winter blend 87 octane.

Haven't done a damn thing to it except a t-stat. There's a ton of stuff that needs to be looked at and serviced, I usually do it to every car I acquire. Just preventative. It's just been slow at work and I'm poor so I can't afford to drop a couple hundred on repairs.

I'm pretty good at keeping good gas in it and I drive it easy. It never does it unless I've really got my foot in it, which i RARELY do. 195k miles on what looks to me like a well-cared for original engine/trans, with NO piston slap, I'd rather just err on the side of caution and be easy on the old gal. Plus the wheel bearings are really starting to howl.