1988 Indianapolis 500 Cutlass Supreme PACE CAR Tribute!

1988PhantomFE3

Okay, there's a bunch of 7mm screws that hold it on. I think 2 in the glove box (under the actual storage piece), you have to take out the defroster opening and there's 2 7mm screws there too, and then there's a 7mm screw on the left of the instrument cluster and 1 to the right of the radio. At least that's what I remember, it's been a few years since I've been in a CS.

Oh yeah, forgot the one by the headlight switch. But I don't remember the one to the right of the cluster.

Edited by ManicMechanic

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1988PhantomFE3

• ManicMechanic

• j_mezz

• 94 olds vert

You might have seen this before Ed, but there is some spectacular home video footage of the pace cars here, both hardtops with sunroofs and convertibles.

But all the GMC trucks shown are RED...

[video=youtube;4tnrmTrE5Yg]

I think I found the HUD harness? I thought it went to the HUD area, but it makes sense that it would go to the HUD control area...silly me.

I'm going to invest in that Service Manual so I don't have to bug everybody here. I really want to thank you all for your undying support and firm commitment to this great nation of ours, ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can find in a service manual so you can let others go on with their lives!

(kinda went off the deep end with that speech) LOL :)

post-5754-143689095526_thumb.jpg

Yup, that looks like it to me. The other one should be tucked away under the gauge cluster or behind the head light switch. This is what the other plug looks like.

1994cutlass240.jpg

The service manuals are so recommended Ed. I have 1988, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, and 1997 CS manuals but I can't make myself let go of any, they're too full of great info.

We're breaking a huge promise we made to NEVER let this pic get out in the open. This is one of the HIDDEN Actual SHOW CARS made for media purposes of the 1988 Indianapolis 500 Cutlass Supreme Pace Cars, as far as we've learned there are only 2 or 3 of these in existance, only 2 with the HUD {to be added later} (and no one knows where they presently are located). You might be able to guess from the surroundings in the picture that this truely is a super super rare photo...they took this photo of their car just for us, concerning our Grandpas Tribute Car build! It was suppose to show us what we need to do in order to match the exact look-a-like Pace Cars produced. This car does have the non-turbo Quad 4 Engine, it's completely different from the replicas with the 3.1 motor. I lost my phone with their contact number, hopefully they call me back to yell at me for posting this!

We feel very privledged to have contacted these owners when we did back in 2007, and I am heartbroken that we failed in a promise to not let this photo out...but..."I'M A FAITHFUL W BODY FAN !!!"

post-5754-143689095538_thumb.jpg

post-5754-143689095549_thumb.jpg

post-5754-143689095552_thumb.jpg

I want one of these...:lol:

88paceCart.jpg

What I do find interesting is that at least one of the actual Pace Cars started out being gold and then one ended up being gold when it was used in the 1992 CART season.

Joe owns the actual #2 1988 Cutlass Supreme Race Pace Car. It is gold now in 1992 Cutlass wrap, and he's going to put it back to 1988 specs. I would love to be a part of that rebuild!

post-5754-143689095557_thumb.jpg

post-5754-14368909556_thumb.jpg

post-5754-143689095562_thumb.jpg

Jay, I liked seeing all the stuff you posted. I've got all if it and seen the commercial and home footage too, but it's still nice to see everytime I do!

I looked up the 1994 service manual for the Cuttlass on ebay and they're around $50. I have to get one, I didn't even know how to remove the defroster grill on the dash pad! I was looking thru the windshield to try and find tiny screws...geeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz

That's actually the reason I come to this site eveyday (several times) there's a lot of knowledge & experience here, not to mention LOVE for the W's!

Sure can Ed :thumbsup:. Involves some pin swapping and you lose a couple of lights, namely airbag and security. Plus the mileage will be off.

Wow you guys, this is probably not the best time to tackle this project. I left a message for someone here to see if they'ld build me an adapter. I was thinking I could do all this, swapping the digital instrument cluster while I had the dash apart, but I'm over my head on that!!!

I'll be referencing all the post on the site concerning the UB3/DIS and digital dash in the future.

Thank you for your help!!!

Wow you guys, this is probably not the best time to tackle this project. I left a message for someone here to see if they'ld build me an adapter. I was thinking I could do all this, swapping the digital instrument cluster while I had the dash apart, but I'm over my head on that!!!

I'll be referencing all the post on the site concerning the UB3/DIS and digital dash in the future.

Thank you for your help!!!

Ed,

Don't feel over your head too much. There's lots of good people to walk you through stuff around here.

I get overwhelmed just as easily. Helps if you have some phone numbers handy, and it's not your only car that you're disassembling.

And some things need to be walked through that aren't precedented . . . for example, my rear package pad wouldn't come loose. It was free fastener-wise, but because of the tint it was completely sealed onto the window (took a hairdryer to get it free - no heatgun).

Thanks Breakdown, It really is cool to have a place like this to go to for help. Back in the day, we had to find ads in Hemmings Motor News that had their phone numbers listed and we'd call them. That was the only way to find out info on a car that was over 20 years old....we felt so smart cheating like that, but the dealers always wanted a ton of money for the simplest advice.

This place is way coolest!!!

LOL JAY! The logo on the 1988 pace car jacket, YUP, I'm a Indy 500 Nut! We had some embroidering done on a Pennzoil Jacket for when we show the pacer tribute, jus cuz Rick Mears won that year.

Have you ever seen the Aurora that they opened the whole top on? WHOA! Glad that thing never rolled over.

post-5754-143689096071_thumb.jpg

post-5754-143689096073_thumb.jpg

post-5754-143689096076_thumb.jpg

post-5754-143689096085_thumb.jpg

post-5754-143689096093_thumb.jpg