TGP/5-speed in an L body?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

i REALLY would appreciate ANY info i can get about installing a TGP turbo engine/Getrag 282 5-speed into the L-body (Beretta/Corsica models). sure, an L-body isnt a W-body, BUT it IS a W-body specific engine....

iTurbo (my brother) *might* buy a very rare Cars & Concepts modified 2.8/5-speed '88 Corsica XT, which has a clear title and is not totalled at all. it needs a tranny but there is another car there that i can get an L-body specific V6 Getrag 282 from. iTurbo obviously wants to turbocharge this rare Corsica later down the road, and is considering buying my extra TGP T-25 turbo/crossover pipe.....

BUT, if we can't do this with the Turbo 3.1 *together* with the Getrag 282 5-speed - we'll scrap the idea. IOW it pretty much *has* to be a TGP engine with a Getrag 282 5-speed. we don't want to have anything to do with any automatic transmssion :) i have some questions for some of you that have put TGP's engines into your L-bodies (or others that have ideas to throw in feel free):

how & where did you mount your turbocharger? was it a stock TGP turbo or other? is there any way i can i use a stock TGP crossover pipe? my brother and i were checking out a Corsica LTZ today and it looks like it would mount where the air box was, and maybe re-locate the battery. comparing my TGP turbo/rebuilt crossover to the LTZ gave us a better idea of what might fit in there, and it looks like the turbo would hit a tranny mount on the drivers side. hopefully the Getrag mounts somewhere else? someone please tell me it does and that i can use a stock TGP downpipe!!! :) hopefully i can rid the car of that drivers side fender mount (the one in the where the turbo would be going) and hopefully running the small Getrag 282 tranny will give more clearance with the shifter cables.

TurboGTU: what tranny are you using? do you think this is possible? and what do L-bodies weigh?

any ideas/help much appreciated, thanks

joshua

Well, i don't know about a TGP swap, but my Lumina has a 3.1 out of a Corsica. To do the swap you just have to change some brackets and engine mount brackets, and i changed the intake manifold over, and also the fuel injector wiring harness... Good luck.

Oh, and you would have to put on an oil filter adapter (which is not hard to find i'm sure, but i have one for corsica if you want it), but remember this is all for a 3.1, i have no idea about a turbo 3.1. Clearance might be an issue (but i doubt it)

well i know that in the j-body you have to modify the tranny bracket because of where the turbo sits. might have the same problem with the l-body. its a very tight fit in there.

Nathan

Guest TurboSedan

looks like all my questions were answered on Waskie's Turbo Grand Prix forum, on this thread:

http://www.netavalanche.com/tgp/viewtopic.php?t=685&start=0

thanks to all who contributed their info there! i think iTurbo is buying that Corsica XT, along with my turbo/crossover pipe + whatever else he needs that i have like my extra TGP charge pipes or whatever. and of course, we'll be staying with the Getrag 282; the car came with one anyway. we'll try using my extra TGP radiator but we're doubting it will work. we'll try to get pics soon....

joshua

Well since your useing the 5spd..my setup is irelevent. I am useing the 3t40 with a late model (92 I think)Lbody trans mount set up. I removed the stock transmounts and frame mounts, and welded the late model ones. BUt since your going 5spd...the ass from the trans will stick out quite some into the fender...right where the late model trans mount sits. Have you looked at Domenics Cavi...he had posted a x-over he has custom made for his cavi and 5spd...search for his posts on waskis site and copy his x-over and trans mount moddification. Everything else is a bolt on...that engine oil cooler won't fit...nither does the intercooler,turbo intake flex pipe, or lower pipe. Some intercooler setup will have to be fab. Im guesstimating Im at 2900lbs... Since yours is a 4or5door...it'll be close to 3000-3200.

I looked in Beretta.net...but it seems I know more or the same....LOL. I need to find a way to stand out more now... :shock: 12s here I come. 8) .

I think we could achieve the needed clearance by using the W-body 5speed mount. Both W-body (TGP) and L-body (Corsica) use the Getrag 282. I've noticed that the W-body has the transmount bolted to the bottom of the case. The L-body on the other hand has a topside mount, which completely interferes with the turbocharger and downpipe.

I think it should be possible to mount a 'shelf' on the Corsica's frame extension so that it could accomodate the W-body bottom-side mount. If that works, you could use a sawzall or cutoff wheel to cut away the uneeded topside trans mount bracket. Then the TGP x-over and turbocharger should fit in the Corisca. After that, the TGP downpipe may need to be tweeked to fit the Corsica.

http://www.bstuff.com http://www.beretta.net I am a member of bstuff. There's a few problems i could forsee with the l-body. 1: The engine bay isn't as big, meaning you would really have to stuff that crap in there, and 2: The engines sit just a bit differently in these cars. Me and a beretta(both 94 with 3100) were sitting at a parking lot, and we were checking out each others cars. My engine and his engine sit differently in the engine bays, which may also cause clearance problems. But hey, if you get it done, that will be awesome. Just join http://www.bstuff.com so they know it can be done, and tell them i refered you!