Which 5.25 & 6x9 speakers are you using in your 95-99 Monte?

80sselky

Crutchfield doesn't show hardly any 5.25 speakers fitting in the front under the door panel and their 6x9's fitting under the rear deck. The Retrosound speakers they show fitting look pretty awful close to stock & I would think aren't worth the swap. I've known their fitment records to be wrong in the past. What are you guys running that works well without cutting up the door panels and/or rear deck? I really like polk speakers in my current home theater setup so you could say I like a warmer sound. Thanks.

The rear speakers should be no problem IIRC. There's not much to get in the way there.

I've never messed with the door panels on a 1.5gen, but if they are like my GP in that the speaker is mounted in a plastic pod, any 5.25 will work. If it is mounted in the door, I would pull the panel and the speaker, lower your window, and measure how deep you can go and still clear the window so you have a good ballpark of mounting depth. I think you should be able to clear most standard 5.25's though.

Well i'm running pioneer's in the front, which sound pretty good for $30 speakers. :lol: I'm running 5-way kenwoods in the rear, the front and rear speakers both clear with plenty of room left. The front door panels are cake on gen 1.5's, my window came off track a few times so i am able to get my door panel off in about two minutes. :lol:

From the looks of it pretty much any 5.25 should fit no problem, same goes for the 6x9's. Which by the way you do have to remove the rear seats to replace, you have to remove the bottom seat to remove the back rest, then you can get to the deck cover. Not a hard job at all, just make sure you have a decent set of hand tools. Good luck! :D

On a side note: To remove the door panels you will need a torx bit, not sure of the size. One of my flathead screwdrivers fit perfect so i just use that. :lol:

Quick edit: As white4d96 said, they DO mount in plastic pods in gen 1.5's as well as 1st gens. :thumbsup:

Edited by MonteCarloDude

I'd make a plate and put 6" speakers in the rear unless you're going to drive the 6x9's to use more as subs and you should be able to fix 6.5" in the front if you do some modifications to the speaker cup.

I am running Infinity Kappa 2-ways - 5 1/4 doors and 6 x 9 rear deck in my 99 Regal. No fitment issues and sound fantastic with the stock radio. I did however see the new Pioneer "AppRadio" and might Have to upgrade :)

If you don't mind doing some modifications to the front door panels/speaker cups then you could fit 6 1/2" speakers up front. I've got a set and they provide a much better overall sound compared to my 5 1/4"ers I used to have.