Z34guy

Just got back from the store and noticed that the speakers in the doors of My Monte Carlo finally are starting to die. I'm too lightheaded and out of it right now to go out there and measure it by myself (had my wisdom teeth removed yesterday. All 4 at once. 2 impacted, one had to be drilled out. still on percocet).

What size are the door speakers on a 1.5 gen Monte, and what bolt in replacements do you recommend? I'm not looking to spend a fortune, just something that sounds somewhat nice, preferably cheap and/or oem replacement. I understand you get what you pay for but I'm not in a position to be picky so long as it sounds like stock or somewhat better. Rear speakers were replaced 20,000 miles ago. I know those were 6X9.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• Garrett Powered

• Z34guy

• white4d96

not really.... however, if it's sold at wal-mart, there's a pretty good chance you'll want to stay the hell away from it. :lol:

also: U62, UX7 were the RPOs for different speaker codes for a 95MC. UX7 are referred to as "extended range" and U62 is "coaxial".

the extended range seems to be the economy option, and are what i pulled out of the pile in mah sig, they have a weird foam covering going across the cone and generally sounded pretty weak. if you have the U62s(being a Z34, i would assume it does), then it sounds like you have factory 2/3-way speakers and won't notice as much as an improvement over the low-buck system.

5-1/4" in the front doors. Anything is going to be better the stock. You should be able to pick up a set of Infinitys or JBLs for a resonable price.

What's the budget?

This. If you're on a budget I run $30 eBay closeout MB Quart speakers and they sound decent. If you have more money to spend, there are other speakers that will sound absolutely amazing.

not sure at the moment, but probably $40-50 at most. yea. I know I'm a cheap bastard, I also have to get some other parts to fix some other little things that are bugging me (passenger power window switch finally started to die. replaced the driver one a few years back. apparently a dealer-only part. There's other little nit-picky things but these 2 are at the top of my list)

not sure at the moment, but probably $40-50 at most. yea. I know I'm a cheap bastard, I also have to get some other parts to fix some other little things that are bugging me (passenger power window switch finally started to die. replaced the driver one a few years back. apparently a dealer-only part. There's other little nit-picky things but these 2 are at the top of my list)

I would fork over the extra $10 (and get free shipping) and get these:

http://www.amazon.com/Brand-Cadence-Cwm6kit-Component-Speaker/dp/tech-data/B0053A3UF4

They've been very well reviewed over on diyma.com. Definitely a value leader and highly recommended.

If you have a GP, you dont! :showoff:

But if memory serves the MC doors looked like they had room to clearance the door panel and/or the metal to fit a 6.5.

it's been a while since i had the door panels apart, but i don't remember there being enough room for another 1 1/4" for a bolt pattern in there.

EDIT: and components in place of composites?

MDF rings is how. A little patience and you can make almost anything fit so long as there's enough depth.

And yeah, you can place the tweeters anywhere you want. The component set receives the signal through the crossover, so the wiring will be no different.

I would prefer to stick to 5 1/4" thank you...

Its not really that complicated, and they sell the rings online, but if you want to take the easy way...

Install is everything. At the at the very minimum, seal up your doors with some sound deadening or they'll barely sound any better than new factory replacements.

ha that for some reason reminds me of a guy I know who has a turbo grand prix. but at the time he had a toyota turdcell which he wanted a cheap system for it. we made the badesst ass getto system for it. sounded great for years. all stony equipment. amp and getto walmart speakers. and a depthcharge 10" sub.

we rolled that shitbox all the way down half way through california a few years ago just to look at this one tgp. bumpin tunes on that system the whole way.

but yeah mdf rings are where its at. fuck all that sound deadening in the doors though. coupe doors are heavy enough. if you can get away with a small high range mid why not save the door the weight?

FWIW when I deadened my trunk I had enough left over to put a little bit on one door (like a third of a layer) and it made a noticeable difference compared to the undeadened one.

BTW Andrei I may need help with getting these 6 1/2's in the car. I think I got meself in over me head here. Thinking my only options now are 'glassing.

[/threadjack]

ha that for some reason reminds me of a guy I know who has a turbo grand prix. but at the time he had a toyota turdcell which he wanted a cheap system for it. we made the badesst ass getto system for it. sounded great for years. all stony equipment. amp and getto walmart speakers. and a depthcharge 10" sub.

we rolled that shitbox all the way down half way through california a few years ago just to look at this one tgp. bumpin tunes on that system the whole way.

but yeah mdf rings are where its at. fuck all that sound deadening in the doors though. coupe doors are heavy enough. if you can get away with a small high range mid why not save the door the weight?

Deadening is required. Ever heard of panel resonance? Ever heard of sealing doors? Ever heard a car with some REAL midbass? The purpose of a speaker enclosure of any sort is to first and foremost separate the front waves from the back waves. Past that, its all excursion control and output. Sealing a door with sound deadening is an excellent way to get a more prominent midbass, which is VERY lacking in our w-bodies.

As for sound deadening, Adam here will vouch for the difference it makes. You'll never go to an SQ competition and find a SINGLE car without sound deadening. It makes a huge difference in absorbing panel resonance and is a required part of a proper install.

FWIW when I deadened my trunk I had enough left over to put a little bit on one door (like a third of a layer) and it made a noticeable difference compared to the undeadened one.

BTW Andrei I may need help with getting these 6 1/2's in the car. I think I got meself in over me head here. Thinking my only options now are 'glassing.

[/threadjack]

Have you already tried MDF rings?

I'll have to take a pic of what I'm looking at here. Basically the speaker is bigger than the door panel where the stock speakers mount :lol:

Z34guy, I unfortunately can't find an eBay link to the speakers I used. Not surprising since IIRC they were a factory closeout when I got them 3 years ago :lol: There are MB Quart comps on eBay for $60 shipped though: http://cgi.ebay.com/MB-QUART-FSB-213-5-25-2-way-Component-Car-Speakers-/290581890525?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item43a807c5dd

whatever dude. its not required when you have a sealed enclosure for your mid. that is completely a retarded thing to say when you know my mid is sealed off from the door anyway. How do I "require" it if I have a sealed enclosure for my 4" midrange in my W? :lol:

just wait till you get crocodile door try and bite off your leg. :lol:

one of the reasons I prefer the 88 body style over the 90 tgp's. the door is lighter and easier to use because no body cladding. no way I will be putting a giant magnet 6 in the door and a shitload of deadening material in to poop up the doors.

I am not mad though. feel free to do as you please.

PM me if you want to discuss my point against installing woofers in doors. I have plenty of evidence from my past experiments.