Suspension overhaul, UPDATE: Parts on!!! PICS

Psych0matt

Nicely done, stance is hot. I need to do poly control arm bushings and some new lateral arms as well.

We need an auto cross shoot out at a meet.....could be fun.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Psych0matt

• BXX

• Twenty

• Venom

Glad you got it all back together Matt considering you blew a brake line about midnight last night and the Snap On guy around the corner was sleeping :lol: Def keep us updated how the front end rides with the way the front plates are mounted.

His 245 tires on the xlaces were rubbing so I had offered him my "first gens":rolleyes: because I hate those wheels and they didnt rub as bad so he took those home and I (actually BXX at this point) have them so I had something to drive home on... The good thing is we were able to repair his brake line leak... Mine was not that lucky

Looks great. Can you tell me more about the rear suspension/disc/hub swap? My rear wheel/hub bearings on my Monte die pretty rapidly and cost a small fortune. If there was a better gen 2 set of components, I would be all over it. Thanks.

Tim

Question of the day:

So with the 10" springs, the rear is as high as it will go, and I still rub on bumps. I have the option of 12" or 14" springs. The adjuster sleeve is 5", so to get It this low with the 14" springs would put me at 1" up on the adjuster. also, they're cheaper. Would there be any reason to get the 12"s? It's not like I can go lower, so might as well leave room to adjust up? :dunno:

Ordering 14" springs right now. That'll give me the low I want, but still plenty of upward adjustment. As opposed to right now, I'm maxed out as high as it will go, and it's still too low by about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch :lol:

Yeah, that way you can always go higher for some reason if you decide to, but you can still go as low as you are now (which is too low)... And for the price being cheaper, win-win!:thumbsup:

Let me know if/when you do, I'll definitely come out and help. Well, by help I mean at least come out and hand you tools and tear apart the stuff I know how to do :lol:

Let me know if/when you do, I'll definitely come out and help. Well, by help I mean at least come out and hand you tools and tear apart the stuff I know how to do :lol:

....and show massive amounts of ass crack :lol::lol:

Damn you and your massive wheel arches making your car look lower than mine, lol.

Sorry, I must have missed it, but what weight spring did you go with for the rear? I used a 350lb 10" in the rear and it doesn't scrape at all with plenty more height adjustment in both directions.

You make plans for those poly control arm bushings yet?

I used 10" 400lb in the front, and 14" 350lb in the rear. As far as the bushings, money and time are holding me back, so it won't get done before dayton. Ken's bringing me the 22mm sway bar, so that'll get done during Dayton :lol:

I used 10" 400lb in the front, and 14" 350lb in the rear. As far as the bushings, money and time are holding me back, so it won't get done before dayton. Ken's bringing me the 22mm sway bar, so that'll get done during Dayton :lol:

Nice. I'm using the same 400lb in front, and (I don't recall what Bob put in there), either a 10" 350lb or a 10" 400lb in the rear. In any case, I can raise my car off the ground and those springs don't budge.

FWIW, the poly control arm mod made just as big a difference as the addco bar did. People really don't seem to realize how much dynamic camber our cars really have as a result of those gigantic rubber control arm bushings, and how much they're responsible for the understeer that plagues our cars.

Someone else who did this mod put it very well. The car is very "neutral" now in corners. It doesn't understeer or oversteer, it just starts sliding sideways.

I'm gonna possibly attempt a home alignment (for the time being, since I still have the control arm bushings and rear sway bar to put in), and see if I can get it better.

• 2 weeks later...

Ken (and his all knowingness) helped me get it fairly decently aligned. I was actually able to relax and enjoy the drive back from the Dayton meet :thumbsup: