Problem with Dash ABS and Brake warning lights

rich_e777

I`m thinking this is an electrical problem but its about my brakes so I m posting here. About a wee ago here in TN we had alot of snow and the streets were pretty slick so i had to go have some fun in my Cutlass, pissed alot of people off that were stuck in the ditch while i was just sliding on by. Any ways i power slid around an icy corner going about 10-15mph and my amber ABS light and the red BRAKE lights have both come on and will not go off. I have no problems with the regular or parking brake, they both work fine. Any idea about WTF is going on? Its colder than a witchs tit outside and I cant find any indication on the brakes and i topped the fluid off. Ideas people?

One of the wheel speed sensors probably got snow in it

Thats what i thought to but everything has melted and its been in the 50`s for a couple days. No mud or other indicators to the problem. I have her jacked up and the wheels off and everything looks good.

Only time i have seen the ABS and the Brake light both come on together is with the ABS pump relay removed/failed.

I would check that out first. I can't tell you where exactly it is...but it's worth checking out.

Wouldn`t you believe i got frustrated and gave the driver side rear wheel a little kick and both the lights went out! Glad i had all those hard to find tools for the job.

my ABS light has been on and off all summer and fall, but as soon as the ABS got a workout in all this Ohio snow, it corrected itself! Also, the BRAKE light came on for a couple months, only when the ABS light was also on...I figured it was my left rear caliper failing to clamp, which it still may be doing when the brakes are applied, but the parking brake pulls both calipers equally ( I know this from my snow tracks:biggrin:).

I have this same problem, I'll check into this relay. both my anti- lock and brake light come on. but the brake light on the dash sort of cured itself.. I did a brake job and all this started.:biggrin:

im going to guess bad connection in the wheel hub you kicked. it will probably fail anyways... just for warning.

In cases like this, at least one knows where to start searching when the problem DOES come back.

• 1 month later...

I have a 1995 olds cutlass and it does same thing but never at same time iv only had this car for about a month first night i brought it home abs light came on and my battery light would flicker on when i reved it in park i was pissed but after turning car off and then back on was off and it will come on from time to time of when i go drift around but i just reset it and all is well, and today i had my car parked on a slit incline nothing to put the brake on for so not sure why when i started my car it was on tried to push e brake in a few times to get it to turn off brakes all worked just fine so drove it for about 5 min and just as i was about to turn the car off the light turned off so no idea what it is doing just has a mind of its own.But hell i don't even know if abs works its snowy here and iv applied brakes hard on slick ice to see if they would turn on and noting sometimes my brakes so hard i cant push it in very far and feels like pads arnt grabbing but iv heard that common for 1st gen models so donno.

I have a 1995 olds cutlass and it does same thing but never at same time iv only had this car for about a month first night i brought it home abs light came on and my battery light would flicker on when i reved it in park i was pissed but after turning car off and then back on was off and it will come on from time to time of when i go drift around but i just reset it and all is well, and today i had my car parked on a slit incline nothing to put the brake on for so not sure why when i started my car it was on tried to push e brake in a few times to get it to turn off brakes all worked just fine so drove it for about 5 min and just as i was about to turn the car off the light turned off so no idea what it is doing just has a mind of its own.But hell i don't even know if abs works its snowy here and iv applied brakes hard on slick ice to see if they would turn on and noting sometimes my brakes so hard i cant push it in very far and feels like pads arnt grabbing but iv heard that common for 1st gen models so donno.

WoW, Anthony has some competition. Damn.