'95 Monte Z34 rear drum brakes

Z34guy

Me and my dad went to replace the wheel cylinders on the rear drum brakes oif my '95 Z34. We replaced it on the passenger side, but now we can't get it back together. The thing stopping us is a weird retaining spring (as the Haynes manual calls it) that just won't go into place. Anyone have any ideas how to get it back in place? Meanwhile, I'll start looking up the parts I need for a rear disc conversion. lol. Front brakes are already done (new rotors, calipers and pads). I can have pics posted upon request

Look at the other side, you'll figure out how and where it goes. Drum brakes can be a pain for most people because the springs normally have to go in a certain order and have a lot of tension.

Hell, im a mechanic, have done hundreds or cars rear drum brakes, and even sometimes I struggle to get a spring in place. Then again, nobody enjoys doing drum brakes.

And all you need to swap over to rear disc is the entire knuckle intact with everything from the junkyard, brake hoses, ebrake cables, and master cylinder.

My dad used to be a diesel mechanic for the army and has said he NEVER saw drum brakes like the Monte has. you don't have to worry about spring order as they've been replaced by one solid bent and shaped metal bar "tensioner spring". It's a bitch to get back in. And the Master Cylinder is a bitch to do. We've tried. it requires a special tool that we don't have. So anything with the master cylinder has to be done at a shop.

Edited by Z34guy

My dad used to be a diesel mechanic for the army and has said he NEVER saw drum brakes like the Monte has. you don't have to worry about spring order as they've been replaced by one solid bent and shaped metal bar "tensioner spring". It's a bitch to get back in.

Been a while since ive done early wbody drum brakes. Yeah thats the adjuster bar. What I like to do it put the shoes onto the backing plate, kinda force them out (dont brake the holddowns!) and shove the damn bar in there before I install any other tension springs.

Been a while since ive done early wbody drum brakes. Yeah thats the adjuster bar. What I like to do it put the shoes onto the backing plate, kinda force them out (dont brake the holddowns!) and shove the damn bar in there before I install any other tension springs.

this doesn't have backing springs. it's got 1 tension spring.

this doesn't have backing springs. it's got 1 tension spring.

What, the horseshoe looking spring??

Huh, coulda swore Gen 1 rear drums didnt use the giant horseshoe spring, but then again its been like 4 years since I have even seen them let alone replaced them:lol: