1992 Chevy Lumina 3.1L Problems!

schultzie09

Hi, this is my first post on this forum i have been reading around and i recently had a problem with my lumina i had a tire go flat in the driveway so we took it off i grabbed one of my new tires out of the garage and took it to walmart and had it put on got home put the tire on pulled the car forward into my parking space and the next day went to get in and start it but, it would not start. Since this happened we changed plugs and wires, i checked the coil packs, fuses and relays and couldn't find a problem any where so we figured it might be the crankshaft position sensor. we know its getting spark and fuel its just not starting all we hear is it wanting to start but it never fires we even used some starting fluid and it would fire. i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on this it would be greatly appreciated

If its getting spark, the crank position sensor is good.

How did you check for fuel?

Sounds like you could have a shorted out injector. Can cause all of them not to fire, regardless of having fuel pressure.

hahah thanks like i said i've looked around and im a huge W-body fan and everyone seems to really know what they are talking about. how do i go about checking the injectors, and if i do find only one bad one can i just replace that one or do i have to do them all. and no it dont run on starting fluid we cant get it to fire period.

Ok then I misread your first post.

If it won't fire with starting fluid it sounds spark related. A failed ICM or crank sensor can cause a no spark condition.

Dumb question, but do you have compression? ( Failed timing chain - rare but possible )

i know i do have low compression the car had a bad piston ring when i bought(didnt know that at the time of purchase) but its ran fine ever since i got it until the day it quit i paid $500 for the car and its lasted me a year and has like 160k miles

If it was an injector ( which now it doesn't really sound like) you can ohm them out with a multimeter, and replace the one that reads bad. (Don't remember the specs - lying in bed , can't sleep,

hahah its alright yea im greatly stumped on this cause my uncle broke the crank shaft position sensor off and we were going to try and push it though by taking the oil pan off but when i read the chiltons book it says you have to take off the front sub-frame to even take the oil pan off