Need Advice, and expertise on Transmissions

xtremerevolution

oh geeze don't even get me started on that one. for the 284 specific slave cyl basically once air gets in it, it does not get back out. $300 at the dealer later and I have a good slave cyl :roll:

oh geeze don't even get me started on that one. for the 284 specific slave cyl basically once air gets in it, it does not get back out. $300 at the dealer later and I have a good slave cyl :roll:

So its only a problem with the 284 and not with the 282? I'm just trying to figure out what I'm in for really, lol, so if this little problem doesn't apply to me, then I'll have one less thing to worry about.

The oil filter adaptor was a custom made deal by me. He took an adaptor off a lesabre or what have you and I had to cut a protruding piece off and weld an aluminum cap in its place for enough clearance.

Rear motor mount was custom as well.

The oil filter adaptor was a custom made deal by me. He took an adaptor off a lesabre or what have you and I had to cut a protruding piece off and weld an aluminum cap in its place for enough clearance.

Rear motor mount was custom as well.

So you're telling me that in order to get a 5 speed to work in my car, I'll need a custom rear motor mount as well as a custom oil filter adapter, and there's nothing that will... "just work?" Would you be willing to make another one of those adapters in the event that I need one (obviously not for free)? Is there no other adapter that will work? Apparently Bob is going to be in the same boat as well since he's also bolting a 282 to a 3800.

Why GM didn't put bleeders on the slave is beyond me.

My Fiero has a slave with a bleeder on it and it was cake to install.

Someone has yet to tell me if this is an issue with both the 282 and 284. Keep in mind I've never worked on a manual transmission car before. I don't even know what this thing looks like, and how it is even possible to mess one up. Is this something I have to budget for, or something I have to be careful while working with?

Edited by xtremerevolution

the 282 and 284 use different hydraulic setups. the 282s is far less retarded.

Thank you! That's the straight answer I was looking for. :lol:

I'm seeing a ton of these oil filter relocation kits all across summit racing and ebay, such as this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OIL-FILTER-COOLER-RELOCATION-4-PORTS-10AN-ADAPTER-KIT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aBuickQ7cModelQ3aReattaQQhashZitem2a094151c1QQitemZ180543902145QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

While they claim to be universal, its questionable if they really are. My question is: would something like this be an option? Or will it not work since we're modifying the adapter itself and not trying to relocate the filter.

So why is a custom rear engine mount needed??

Last time I checked, Andries car no longer has the passenger side front and rear engine mounts like the LQ1 and L27, just one mount in the middle. My CS is the same way.

Last time I checked, Andries car no longer has the passenger side front and rear engine mounts like the LQ1 and L27, just one mount in the middle. My CS is the same way.

Sure would help to not need that! :biggrin:

We'll have to work together to figure out an easy way to get an oil filter adapter to work. Any ideas on what adapters from other engines would fit?

I hardly see the OFA becoming a rear issue with the 282. There are about 30 different fucking 3800 OFA designs out there, just a matter of finding the correct one.

And having a custom made OFA hardly seems like any rear work.

I hardly see the OFA becoming a rear issue with the 282. There are about 30 different fucking 3800 OFA designs out there, just a matter of finding the correct one.

And having a custom made OFA hardly seems like any rear work.

Well we're in the same boat so when one of us figures it out, we'll be good to go. If I find a trans at a junkyard tomorrow and have time afterward, I'll see what kind of OFA's I can find.

I think they are taking the engine to transmission brace, not an actual something to frame mount?

There are 10 88-90 Cutlass Supremes in junkyards within a half hour of my location, 6 in Summit, IL and 4 in Hammond, IN. There's also 1 89 Grand Prix in Hammond as well. That makes 11 possible candidates. I'm going to run down to Summit during lunch to scope the place out, and if I find what I need, I'm going to get to work really early and leave early so I can run to the yard.

Does anyone have a rough idea as to how long it should take me to get everything pulled? That includes everything needed for the swap.

What kind of axles can I use? Rockauto wants $50 per axle so I'd be more than happy to re-use old ones. Can I just pull axles off any abs equipped 1st gen w-body?

There are 10 88-90 Cutlass Supremes in junkyards within a half hour of my location, 6 in Summit, IL and 4 in Hammond, IN. There's also 1 89 Grand Prix in Hammond as well. That makes 11 possible candidates. I'm going to run down to Summit during lunch to scope the place out, and if I find what I need, I'm going to get to work really early and leave early so I can run to the yard.

Does anyone have a rough idea as to how long it should take me to get everything pulled? That includes everything needed for the swap.

What kind of axles can I use? Rockauto wants $50 per axle so I'd be more than happy to re-use old ones. Can I just pull axles off any abs equipped 1st gen w-body?

i have 3 sets of 282 axles. 2 of those sets are bad, but I saved them so I could rebuild them in the future.... they are not the same as used on any other W car no matter the transmission option.

i have 3 sets of 282 axles. 2 of those sets are bad, but I saved them so I could rebuild them in the future.... they are not the same as used on any other W car no matter the transmission option.

how do you rebuild axles?

would you be willing to rebuild me a set of axles?

would you be willing to sell me a good set of axles?

If so, how much?

I think they are taking the engine to transmission brace, not an actual something to frame mount?

thats what i was thinking. The mount that goes from the rear of the motor. to the deferential cap.

xtreme:

I've been thinking about your question for several days, unsure whether to really put in my 2 cents...

A lot of what to do kind of comes down to how you use the car.

If you're like me, and drive your W daily, because you don't have other options, I'd rebuild the automatic.

If you drive it occasionally, I'd put in a manual now.

If you do drive it daily, after you rebuild, start gathering parts for the manual swap. This gives you plenty of time to get what you want, how you want it, and I'd almost guarantee you'd be able to sell the fairly low-mileage automatic to someone on the list for a good price.

That way, your car is running right away, and you've bought time to research and gather parts for your ultimate swap to a manual.

This is the path I intend to take with my '95 LQ1 convertible, being limited on being able to be down a car while it's being fixed.

I'll figure it out.

This yard was a disappointment. 2-3 old GP's and only 2-3 Cutlass Supremes, not 6 like the inventory online said, and not a single 282 in any GM car, let alone a w-body. Screw that. 1 junkyard down. I'm going to wake up super early tomorrow to hit up a couple junkyards before work.

xtreme:

I've been thinking about your question for several days, unsure whether to really put in my 2 cents...

A lot of what to do kind of comes down to how you use the car.

If you're like me, and drive your W daily, because you don't have other options, I'd rebuild the automatic.

If you drive it occasionally, I'd put in a manual now.

If you do drive it daily, after you rebuild, start gathering parts for the manual swap. This gives you plenty of time to get what you want, how you want it, and I'd almost guarantee you'd be able to sell the fairly low-mileage automatic to someone on the list for a good price.

That way, your car is running right away, and you've bought time to research and gather parts for your ultimate swap to a manual.

This is the path I intend to take with my '95 LQ1 convertible, being limited on being able to be down a car while it's being fixed.

The transmission runs now, I just need to stop every day at least once, pull off to the side of the road, and clear the TCC stuck code to allow the transmisison to stay out of limp mode, and after that it works fine. Its not like I can't drive it. I drove it to california and back, and all week to work last week, and today as well.

The problem is time and money, both of which I don't have. That rebuild will cost a lot of time, and a fair amount of money, all for nothing if I'll be swapping transmissions anyway. I have options too; I have a 2005 Bonneville that I can drive if need be. I'm not really that strapped for time as far as when it needs to get done, but it is a huge annoyance to have to pull over every morning to clear that code.

thats what i was thinking. The mount that goes from the rear of the motor. to the deferential cap.

I will prolly test fit my 282 and L36 within the next few days to see if that trans to engine bracket will be a real issue. My bracket is a repaired and reinforced stock 282 unit.

Very heavily considering driving up to Shepherd, MI to pick up that 282 for $125. Unknown miles, but it worked when it was pulled. Everywhere around here wants more than that. Only problem is that's 550 miles round trip, so ~$65 in gas and a day lost to consider.

Bob, can you get me that list of parts?