New TGP owner - need some help

Johnnystats

Hey everyone

I finally got my TGP today after waiting close to 3 months for it. They brought it out on a car carrier from the Mid West. The weather here in NJ isnt that great today, so I will post pictures soon.

My question is as follows - prior to buying the car, they had the ABS worked on - rebuilt actually - about 950.00 for the work. Anyway, when I got into the car and driving it for a bit - there was some sort of motor that went on when I stepped on the brakes (maybe a few seconds after stepping on the brakes) Once I let up on the brakes, it shut off. Would anyone know what that is?

Other than that - I think it needs some general maintenance items - a lot of noise from the rear - possibly struts or shocks.

I'm really not too mechanically inclined, so any advice would be most helpful.

Thanks

Well first off good luck with the car! I am looking forward to pictures... It must be pretty nice if your having it shipped... I'm not sure about the brakes but I bet the struts could use replacing as they are probably orignal

Its red with tan leather, sunroof - no CD. Its a 1990 - seems to be all original. I'm going to need tires, struts, an alignment - think that is it. Some other little quirky things that maybe I am making a big deal out of...

Congratulations on your purchase!

The motor noise you hear when stepping on the brakes is the pump pressurizing the brake fluid, it is totally normal to hear anytime the pump runs. Does the pump run everytime you step on the pedal, or does it just happen periodically? If it is running just every so often then you are golden.

Thanks so much! I hope I did a good thing :) - I heard the noise after I stepped on the brakes - maybe about 10 seconds afterwards. I dont recall if it was each time I hit the brakes or after a couple of times - would that matter? I know that once I let up on the brakes, it did stop.

If the brake pump runs every 3-5 presses of the pedal, it is working properly. If it runs more frequently, ie. every time you press the pedal, your accumulator needs replacement.

I think your brakes are good, you would probably notice if it was every time.

Also your "Anti-Lock" light would be blinking, hard to miss that.

The brakes on my TGP, for example, need a new pressure accumulator (I have one, just have not installed it yet)... so the pump runs every time I press the pedal and like every few seconds when the pedal is held. The car allows me like 3 uses of the pedal, or a couple seconds of sustained pedal before triggering the Anti-Lock dummy light to blink.

Also, you bought a TGP... you absolutely did a good thing. :D

Yes, the accumulator is part of the PMIII. It is the round thing that threads into the bottom of the unit. Factory ones have a round yellow sticker on them.

Thanks - yeah when I first met the car this afternoon, it was so filthy and I was like - this car looks nothing like the pictures. I didnt see the car in person - so I was like - what did I do to myself. Despite the rain, I hand washed it 2x and it did look so much better. I just noticed those other items and I was going crazy - but I knew to turn to the forum for advice.

I think your brakes are good, you would probably notice if it was every time.

Also your "Anti-Lock" light would be blinking, hard to miss that.

Unless someone pulled the bulb! ;)

Well, I do know they sent the PM3 out to be rebuilt - well I think that is what it was. It cost them 950 just for the rebuild - and it took them forever to do it.

So let me ask you guys another question (s). The signal lights are very slow when they are on. Is that something that can be fixed? Also, any tricks in getting out condensation in the rear tail lamps?

Awesome - thanks. Is that something that someone who isnt too mechanically inclined can do himself? :)

Yup really easy. Its under your dash by the steering column. It's like a couple dollars at your local parts store. You pull it out and plug the new one in.

OK, I started her up in the garage - pressed the brake pedal 3x - ABS motor/pump kicked on. Once it went off, I hit it 3x again, ABS motor kicked on. That ABS motor is loud when the windows are up/radio is off.

Here is one pic I was able to take - more to follow soon

post-5444-143689053304_thumb.jpg

post-5444-143689053321_thumb.jpg