Oil coming out of the breather

94GPGTP

So i am driving my 5 speed TGP as a DD right now since im down a car.. I had the engine rebulit no less than 1500 miles and just about a year ago.. I changed the oil 2 days ago.. but ever since i had this engine running i had oil coming out of the breather.. It wasnt alot but now its alot and drips onto the Manifold and creates smoke.. I have no clue what it can be since since its all brand new.. PCV has been changed so thats outta the question.. here is a few pics of how bad it is.. There is a puddle on the valve cover..

DSCN0336.jpg

DSCN0338.jpg

DSCN0339.jpg

DSCN0340.jpg

DSCN0341.jpg

DSCN0342.jpg

mine does not blow oil but I made a catch jar I used a baby food jar and ran the tube in through the metal lid. from the lid there is another tube that feeds in the end of my K/N filter. I can stick it on any one of my cars and test for blow by. if there is any you will see how much and it will keep it out of the turbo at least.

If it was rebuilt your rings probably are not seated all the way. So you are gettting a little blow by. Normaly your pcv keeps pressure on the crankcase but when you are under boost it doesnt so that is probably when it is blowing out. That is part of the reason the factory on hooks to the in take before the turbo.

Brent

If it was rebuilt your rings probably are not seated all the way. So you are gettting a little blow by. Normaly your pcv keeps pressure on the crankcase but when you are under boost it doesnt so that is probably when it is blowing out. That is part of the reason the factory on hooks to the in take before the turbo.

Brent

How long does it take for rings to set? But wouldnt my engine be circulating the oil then? more less burning it??

Depends what kind of rings where used. Cast usually seat faster than chrome moly. What do you mean by circulating? Its normal for a fresh engine to burn a little bit of oil during the break in period. It won't be enough to where you would see it coming out the tailpipe or anything. Your oil level would probably just go down a little. Have you over heated it at all since the rebuild? What all was done? New pistons stuff like that? Or just rings and bearings.

Brent

It was a full build by a well known machince shop.. Here is most of the build.. http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=77243.15 Sealed Power Pistons were used.. Clevite 77 Bearings Mains and Rods were used.. Engine Pro Timing Set.. Melling Oil Pump.. Cant remember the cam or lifters used but the whole engine was Rebuilt..

Engine has not overheated at all since the build.. By circulating i mean coming out of the valve cover going through the intake and then burning in the combustion and going out the exhaust..

The reason I asked about overheating is sometimes if you overheat a engine that hasn't been broke in yet it can glaze the cylinder walls and the rings will not seat in properly. The stock aircleaner setup keeps a vaccum on the crackcase under boost and if any oil comes through it will burn it. Because it feeds off the intake side of the turbo. I would keep driving it and just keep an eye on the oil level and how much is coming out of the breather. I never had any problems with my 3400 turbo cavy but the engine had 30k on it so it was broke in. Give it a few thousand more miles before you worry about it too much. I wouldn't beat on it to much till its broke in better. How many times have you changed the oil since the rebuild. Should have been once after the first start up and cam break in, and again around a thousand miles.

Brent