1993 GRAND PRIX - PURCHASE STAGGARD WHEELS - HELP - AWEB AND OTHERS

GP4U2NV

But whats the whole point behind going to a fatter lip in the rear?

On RWD cars it happens as a default to get wider tires on the drive wheels. A properly done stagger on a FWD car would be a bigger lip on the front wheels and IMO would look even more stupid than a bigger lip on the rear.

To be honest I am not a big fan of a lip over 1.5-2 inches. But if you want the fatter lip look, do it equally.

I'm going to have to agree with xtremerevolution on this one, and everyone knows how much him and I agree on stuff.

Going for the RWD staggered look on a FWD car is a poser move (excuse the 90's terminology)

Jamie

Guys Guys Guys.........

First, if we all wanted to do the same thing as everyone else we sure wouldnt have W-Bodys.

Now, I dont want a monster lip. I would just like a lip. The same on the front and rear is fine.

But, I want a wheel that goes out to the edge of the body and I want a WIDER wheel / tire in the rear.

Sorry I just went back and read the OP, your not looking for wheels your looking for fitment instructions?

You are going to be hard pressed to get a wider wheel in the back, unless you roll the fender lip. As it is cross laces with a 255 tire rub on the back, at least for me. So right there you are pretty much at your limit for moving outward. The only option is to move inward which really, there's not much point, you won't be widening track width at all. But I will humor the idea. You will have to get under the car and look at how much deeper you can get, it won't be much, you might be able to get an inch.

As for the front, go with your standard 8" wide, like a cross lace, we know they fit, if you go wider than that your less likely to get an even wider tire for the rear.

I think the hard part for all of this is going to be finding wheels you like in the same size with differing offsets.

FWIW cross laces with a 255 did not rub in the front for me, but they rub in the rear quite bad. Keep in mind, just because something rubs for me doesn't mean it will rub for you, I don't know how low your car is... When I had the 255s on the car I was quite low, I'm even lower now that I went to a 245/45/16 tire. My current set up a 255 on cross lace would rub non stop, rolled fender lip or not.

Jamie

I still don't get the point of a wider wheel in the back on a fwd car, lol, but I'll drop it...

Whats your budget?

Jamie

Ill try to explain. I am running a 245-35-zr18

Now look at this picture.

TOO THIN

0807260062_std.jpg

OK, I see now on that website the pic is hosted on... How wide are those rims?

They look to be 6.5" wide, which is way too narrow for a B4U GP... find a good set of 8" wide with the same offset as a cross lace.

Jamie

Noted: I now have coil overs and 2nd gen laterals and spindle.

I am running KMC Suicides 18's w/ 245 35 zr 18 unknown offset.

I know that the fronts need a 1/8 inch spacer to fit over the calipers.

What is the center to center distance on those lateral links? Any chance you can get under the car to measure?

I'm running coil overs on all 4 corners along with the Held Trailing arms and Lateral links. Somewhere in my e-mail I have the stock length of the lateral links. From that you can figure out how different the 2nd gen ones are and figure out how much offset you need.

Edit, that is a 7" wide rim, still too narrow IMO.

Jamie

Any remotely educated car enthusiast will laugh at you.

Not necessarily. It is becoming increasingly popular for FWD cars to run a RWD staggered offset, although obviously for aesthetics instead of function. It can still look very tasteful.

Increasingly popular with who? Last time I saw a staggered look on a Civic I laughed. Nice aftermarket low profile rims on the *back* and steelies on the front. If we're all about aesthetics, might as well put 2 foot high wings on the back of our cars, neons underneath, spinning rims, and spray "Fast and Furious" in green with a stencil across the doors. But why stop there? We could also cut our springs to lower the front of our cars, fill our trunks with sand bags to lower the rear, plaster VTEC, GREDDY, and NISMO decals on all body panels, install fart cans to make our exhausts louder, install a fake BOV, bolt a chrome fire hydrant to one of the front pillars, glue air scoops to the roofline, and stick on fake hood pins. After all, all of the above are becoming increasingly popular for FWD cars. I'm not being ignorant, I'm being realistic. There are enough ricers on the road to make fun of.

Now if both rims will look exactly the same, I'm all for that. I would love to see a w-body with nice rims with a nice fat lip. IIRC Kuntzie's TGP looked pretty good.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=85025.0

Actually, no they are not. Yes, there will always be some cars driving around similar to what you have described, but as a whole imports, euros, and the like are being built cleaner and to much higher standards than before; regardless of whether they're FWD, RWD, or AWD. Even the smallest details aren't being overlooked.

Part of the attention to detail is making a note to properly 'fill in' wheel wells with wheels of the right size, width and offset. With a lot of FWD cars, that ultimately means either using spacers in the rear, or running a RWD staggered fitment. Yes, it's aesthetics over function, but not everyone is a diehard form-follows-function enthusiast. It's also not to 'trick' others into thinking that a FWD car is RWD.

In all honesty, the two camps will never see eye-to-eye on this. Some will always aim for function and performance first, while others don't mind some compromise, in trade for wheels that fit the car.

In GP4U2NV's case, if he wants a wider lip/wheel in the rear, then go for it. He mentions it's his show car. Unless it's also his track car, I see no negatives. Even if it was, he could swap out the wheels when needed.

As an example, I found this picture. Honda Civic coupe (FWD obviously) with a lower offset in the rear. It's still very clean and well-built, and the wheels fill out the fenders, which is what GP4U2NV is looking for. This particular fitment also requires some fender rolling and proper tire sizing, but it's a great reference.

FlushCivicCoupe.jpg

In GP4U2NV's case, if he wants a wider lip/wheel in the rear, then go for it. He mentions it's his show car. Unless it's also his track car, I see no negatives. Even if it was, he could swap out the wheels when needed.

As an example, I found this picture. Honda Civic coupe (FWD obviously) with a lower offset in the rear. It's still very clean and well-built, and the wheels fill out the fenders, which is what GP4U2NV is looking for. This particular fitment also requires some fender rolling and proper tire sizing, but it's a great reference.

FlushCivicCoupe.jpg

I was thinking along those lines.

I would rather, the same size wheel.

Those are 19 front and 20 rears.

But, I like the bigger lip in the rear.

He thinks that the rear is a +38 and the fronts are +34

that sounds about right. i think the perfect rim for us would be a 17x9 at about a +35 offset. i'd love to find a set me rims in that size for a 255 tire

FlushCivicCoupe.jpg

I was thinking along those lines.

Ugh, tire stretch and screwed up camber FTL!

Some people have said stuff that doesn't make sense.

For one thing, for a tire to look fatter on the back, it has to be a wider tire to begin with. 245-wide tires on an 8" wide rim isn't going to be significantly wider than on a 7.5" wide rim. I think for every 1/2" difference in rim width, you only get around a 0.2" difference in overall width, if even that much. The only real difference rim width will affect is how much the tire bulges out past the edge of the rim. 245-wide are just that, 245mm wide and will be more or less 245mm wide no matter what size rim you put them on.

Are you sticking with 18"? If so, something like a 275/35R18 would be perfect. You can use a 9-11" wide rim with that size tire.

You can use some math and visualization to guestimate how wide of a wheel you can use in the back. The most important is to understand offset: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101&

If you go for a wider wheel, you'll want a higher offset so that they don't stick out as much past the fenders. You can't go too wide or too high of an offset though, because you could get close to the trailing arms.

FWIW, I think wide rear tires looks cool no matter what kind of car it's on.