1993 GRAND PRIX - PURCHASE STAGGARD WHEELS - HELP - AWEB AND OTHERS

GP4U2NV

Guys and Gals,

Been a bit since I have been on the board. My wife and I had the baby and everything is great.

I just now am getting to a normal life.

I had my show car in a indoor "autorama" show last weekend. The weekend was great with highlights being, a 1st place class win, a street achivement and lastly a sign up for a mag shoot in a "pontiac" mag. I can not disclose which yet.

Anyways, I have been offered to get a free or heavly discounted set of wheels.

I want the staggard look. With a lip. I know we can fit more in the rear.

I guess I am looking for some fitment help.

I do have the intraxx front springs and the coil over set up in the back. With KYB's all the way around.

Bigger wheels with a bigger dish in the back as compared to the front...

Or in our case, the opposite.

Basically, different widths and/or offsets between the front and back of a car.

co'mon peeps

For a start point start asking around about the Infiniti G35 Coupe, the top-end rims for those are just about perfect for a Grand Prix (specifically yours) and are 19" rears 18" fronts, just as a start point to work with some rim guys.

• 1 month later...

Just curious...do you still have the factory monoleaf with those longer gen 2 lateral links? I was wondering if that would move the knuckles out too far and then the monoleaf would not be long enough to ride on the knuckles.

IMO, if you want the RWD staggered look, start with a RWD car.

I would normally agree, but I have seen some pretty pimp ass +08 Accord Coupes with some incredible staggered setups

Please, do not make your grand prix look like a RWD car unless it is a RWD car. Any remotely educated car enthusiast will laugh at you. If you want to put bigger rims on the front, that's a different story. The Grand Prix GXP is set up in such a way, with 255's on the front and 235's (or was it 225's) on the rear, in order to reduce understeer and provide better traction.

Any remotely educated car enthusiast will laugh at you.

Not necessarily. It is becoming increasingly popular for FWD cars to run a RWD staggered offset, although obviously for aesthetics instead of function. It can still look very tasteful.

Please, do not make your grand prix look like a RWD car unless it is a RWD car. Any remotely educated car enthusiast will laugh at you. If you want to put bigger rims on the front, that's a different story. The Grand Prix GXP is set up in such a way, with 255's on the front and 235's (or was it 225's) on the rear, in order to reduce understeer and provide better traction.

Thats quite narrow minded. 1st Gen W's are way more sunken in in the rear, why not use that to your advantage. And alot of people think my POS is RWD anywayz

I wonder if there is there any way to get moar lip from the same width wheel since so many people are so quick to give you their opinion on how having wheels that are staggered on your car is such a bad idea

I might also check out the aftermarket available for crustangs Mustangs. Or even go oem looking mustang wheels. The offsets should be about right and bolt patterns are close enough.

I think youre having trouble with intelligent responses since you didnt really pose a specific question. Then again, this is W-Body. What is it that you want to know exactly?

If you are down with OEM wheels or if thats an option, I have always liked the Starion wheels and thought they would look good on W-Bodies. I dont think many people would agree with me. The BP is 5x114.3 and come in 4 flavors:

Wheel Size

Front: 7"x16" (7J-16) or 8"x16" (8J-16)

Rear: 8"x16" (8J-16) or 9"x16" (9J-16)

Wheel Offset

Front:

7"x16" mm (in.) 18 (.7)

8"x16" mm (in.) 18 (.7)

Rear:

8"x16" mm (in.) -10 (-.4)

9"x16" mm (in.) 0 (0)

Torque Specifications

Wheel Nuts

Nm 90-110

Ft.lbs. 65-80

8" front wheel:

Front back space 5 1/4" (hub to back lip of wheel)

Front front space 3" (hub to front of wheel lip)

9" rear wheel:

Back back space 5" (hub to back lip of wheel)

Back front space 5 1/4" (hub to front lip of wheel

IM000346.jpg

Thats quite narrow minded. 1st Gen W's are way more sunken in in the rear, why not use that to your advantage. And alot of people think my POS is RWD anywayz

I wonder if there is there any way to get moar lip from the same width wheel since so many people are so quick to give you their opinion on how having wheels that are staggered on your car is such a bad idea

Is it really? To have a FWD car that any enthusiast or mechanic knows for a fact is a FWD car and give it a staggered look to make it look like a RWD car? I'm missing the difference between that and putting a huge wing on the back of a FWD civic. Its fake and serves no purpose than to impress those who don't know any better.

Not necessarily. It is becoming increasingly popular for FWD cars to run a RWD staggered offset, although obviously for aesthetics instead of function. It can still look very tasteful.

Increasingly popular with who? Last time I saw a staggered look on a Civic I laughed. Nice aftermarket low profile rims on the *back* and steelies on the front. If we're all about aesthetics, might as well put 2 foot high wings on the back of our cars, neons underneath, spinning rims, and spray "Fast and Furious" in green with a stencil across the doors. But why stop there? We could also cut our springs to lower the front of our cars, fill our trunks with sand bags to lower the rear, plaster VTEC, GREDDY, and NISMO decals on all body panels, install fart cans to make our exhausts louder, install a fake BOV, bolt a chrome fire hydrant to one of the front pillars, glue air scoops to the roofline, and stick on fake hood pins. After all, all of the above are becoming increasingly popular for FWD cars. I'm not being ignorant, I'm being realistic. There are enough ricers on the road to make fun of.

Now if both rims will look exactly the same, I'm all for that. I would love to see a w-body with nice rims with a nice fat lip. IIRC Kuntzie's TGP looked pretty good.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=85025.0

Is it really? To have a FWD car that any enthusiast or mechanic knows for a fact is a FWD car and give it a staggered look to make it look like a RWD car? I'm missing the difference between that and putting a huge wing on the back of a FWD civic. Its fake and serves no purpose than to impress those who don't know any better.

Increasingly popular with who? Last time I saw a staggered look on a Civic I laughed. Nice aftermarket low profile rims on the *back* and steelies on the front. If we're all about aesthetics, might as well put 2 foot high wings on the back of our cars, neons underneath, spinning rims, and spray "Fast and Furious" in green with a stencil across the doors. But why stop there? We could also cut our springs to lower the front of our cars, fill our trunks with sand bags to lower the rear, plaster VTEC, GREDDY, and NISMO decals on all body panels, install fart cans to make our exhausts louder, install a fake BOV, bolt a chrome fire hydrant to one of the front pillars, glue air scoops to the roofline, and stick on fake hood pins. After all, all of the above are becoming increasingly popular for FWD cars. I'm not being ignorant, I'm being realistic. There are enough ricers on the road to make fun of.

Now if both rims will look exactly the same, I'm all for that. I would love to see a w-body with nice rims with a nice fat lip. IIRC Kuntzie's TGP looked pretty good.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=85025.0

Again you're being narrow minded, or shall I say, only looking at this from one angle. I dont think the OP's intent is to TRICK anyone into thinking his car is RWD. The bottom line it looks better in the OP's opinion and mine and many others as well. Thats why he wants it, which really isnt the topic at hand anyway. Its really not gonna hurt the car and need you be reminded that this is a SHOW CAR? Its not getting rated on MAKSIMUM JEE FORSES. A nice set of rims go a long way. And have you seen his car? Looks like the judges already like it and I dont think a disproportionate amount of lip in favor of the rear axle is going to make them like it any less.

I dont think he meant to ask if everyone thought staggered rims would look good on his car, but I cannot be certain. I dont know what your rant about being a ricer is, but like I said, this is a show car that the man has brought a long way to where he is winning alot now. If I were you, I'd give him the credit he deserves in his discretion to make modifications to his car that are aesthetically pleasing to him or the judges. The man just wants to further upgrade his already award winning car...not put up any RWD facade.

EVERYONE, I just want to establish right here that I hope you dont think my car is a BMW. I apologize if you may have thought that since I have such awesome BMW headlights rigged up to my car...but it is NOT! :lol: