May be buying 95 with 3.4L Engine... What to look for?

djrobnyc

I may be interested in purchasing a 1995 Convertible with 114,000 miles. Overall, the condition seems good. But the seller tells me that there are a couple of things wrong with the car 1) the power antenna doesn't go down - but he hears the motor 2) the start solenoid need replacing - he says you need to crank the car a couple of times to start it and 3) seems to "leak a little oil in the front."

I'm looking for some advice on what I should have checked out on the car by a mechanic before purchasing. What do I need to look for with regards to this oil leak? And how do I check the condition of the notorious intake manifold gasket? Thank you.

The power antenna isn't a big deal. If he can here the motor, clean the shaft off with windex or something similar.There could

be dirt in there that is blocking it from coming down.

DON"T lubricate it.

timing belt as it is near due again

and the intake manifold gasket doesnt apply to the dohc engines

that is a big assumption that the timing belt has been replaced at all...I would definitely removed the cover on it to visually inspect it and ask him if he has any documentation to it being changed (if so when)....that will be a big bargaining chip in price negotiations for you if he has nothing

....the LIM gaskets do go quite a bit on the DOHC, just not as much as the 3400 pushrods.

intake failure on a dohc makes it hard to start, but does not cause engine damage like the 3100.

there are good write-ups on doing the O-ring yourself... infact:

http://60degreev6.com/forum/f72/fix-top-side-distributer-plug-leak-t37004

inspect the VIN tags on all panels of the car for originality, including pulling back the rug at the upper corner of the trunk for the hidden tags there... you do not want to buy a car made from TWO cars welded together. REALLY.

inspect suspension areas of the car for rust damage, such as the rear trailing arm mounts

cv joints for tears

top motor for functioning

inspect for water damage to the rear seat area and the rest of the floor....

all four window motors for functionality... I've seen a high mortality rate for the rears..

both front seats for full functionality of the adjust and latch mechanism. I've seen them rusted solid from leaks in many verts.

I'd look up under the front and rear bumpers for signs of rust or impact damage on the rear, and for bent front parts...

3100 has a timing Chain not a belt which is why they don't break. The 3100 is your classic GM overhead valve design while the 3.4 Liter DOHC has "dual overhead cams" and has a timing belt.

Oddly enough, the DOHC has BOTH a chain, and a belt....

Check, too to make sure the air dam under the lower radiator support is present. The Cutlass doesn't have a grille, and if that air dam is missing, cooling problems are likely to follow once the weather warms up. You might have noticed the Cutlass has an air box in front of the radiator, and a strange-looking curved plastic piece from the bottom of the front bumper to help the air find it's way to the radiator. A bunch of these cars have broken air dams, because it sits very low, and people drive up onto curbs in parking lots.

3100 has a timing Chain not a belt which is why they don't break. The 3100 is your classic GM overhead valve design while the 3.4 Liter DOHC has "dual overhead cams" and has a timing belt.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What to look for? A car without the 3.4 in it lol

a vert without a LQ1 is like a TGP with a regular 3.1

As much as I like to bash the LQ1, I'll agree with this.

• 2 weeks later...

Ill admit, I like driving my DOHC car... Its alot of fun... However, I expected more out of it

LQ1's are a mixed bag. Some are quick and fun, others are slow and boring. I can't figure it out.

That statement is the truest words spoken here @ W-body. A vert with a 3.1 is a dog nothing more, maybe some less.

You sir deserve this: Hands_clap_2.gif

That statement is the truest words spoken here @ W-body. A vert with a 3.1 is a dog nothing more, maybe some less.

You sir deserve this: Hands_clap_2.gif

WIN! And sigged!

• 3 weeks later...

I almost bought one of these beauties, and would definitely have if the second owner and the dealership hadn't let it get all crappy. In general, just make sure it's not ridden with small repairs that will add up quickly. I could smack the second owner and the dealership for letting a positively gorgeous vehicle turn into a lemon. I really could. The tires were bare, the oil hadn't been changed in at least 2-3 years, the calipers were almost coming through the tires, the trunk button in the glove compartment didn't work, etc. As I said, seemingly small things that would have been out of my price range to fix. So yeah, excellent choice, just be careful, because some people are real crooks.

I almost bought one of these beauties, and would definitely have if the second owner and the dealership hadn't let it get all crappy. In general, just make sure it's not ridden with small repairs that will add up quickly. I could smack the second owner and the dealership for letting a positively gorgeous vehicle turn into a lemon. I really could. The tires were bare, the oil hadn't been changed in at least 2-3 years, the calipers were almost coming through the tires, the trunk button in the glove compartment didn't work, etc. As I said, seemingly small things that would have been out of my price range to fix. So yeah, excellent choice, just be careful, because some people are real crooks.

Well said Ariana. Also beware the dreaded alternator X_X