Turbo-Heads-Intercooler pressure and temp tests/abbreviated

Jeff M

Though there was a lot more time spent/data recorded, and a lot more details I could get into if I had the time, these are the more important end-results of my testing stock to upgraded heads and turbo, and the intercooler/mod’d with lab grade temperature and pressure probes:

Ambient conditions: air temp 88 degrees, RH 30%, Baro 29.96 steady.

Stock turbo/stock engine chip’d, condenser fins still in place, ran at 10 psi, max temp in was 265 degrees, out was 180. Fins removed temp in 265 out was 155 to 160, nice cheap mod. Pressure drop with 10 psi was 1 to 1.5 psi depending on rpm/total cfm flow as would be affected in the pressure drop/delta P.

Engine with upgraded UltraFlow Heads, upgraded 350 hp TGP turbo, condenser fins already gone, 10 psi, max temp in 220 degree, out 140 to 145 (explained later*), pressure drop 1.5 to 2 psi again depending on rpm/total cfm flow.

First, (*) number crunchers are going to see a lesser delta T/temp drop with the better turbo, but understand 265 degree cooled by 88 degrees can give a better delta T then 220 being cooled by 88 degrees outside air across the intercooler face. Now, better heads are going to show less back pressure ie manifold boost, boost mainly shows how much air is backing up in the intake side, including upper and lower intakes and most of all heads, and some of the actually combustion chamber where we are really most concerned. Now improve the flow with better heads and the air gets into the combustion chamber easier/less boost shows up in the manifold BUT, more power is made at a lower manifold pressure, AND running 10 psi now verses 12 psi is the differences of about 50 degrees of heat the turbo generates making those extra 2 psi, double win with better heads! Also a larger turbo will flow more mass air so 10 psi on an upgraded turbo will provide more power than a stock turbo at 12 psi. After this brief explanation I believe it can now be seen some of how all this relationship plays in if you understand and manage it as a symbiotic system or kit, and tune a chip to coincide with it, and “kit†is why so many companies urge you to get their “kit†as it has been very thoroughly tested for the best match of components/maximum hp per dollar. If you mix and match and you are on your own destined for some problems or more work on your part if you don’t mind and can handle it :) .

Now on to some emails that have been waiting 8) !

Jeff M