Sat for 4 years, anything I should be worried about?

PanamaZ34

Having replaced my tool kit and picked up a battery, I hope to be able to get the new alternator, radiator top hose and everything I need for an engine service (plugs, filters, fan belt, fresh oil and coolant) next week, with a view to trying to start the Z34 the following weekend.

At this point, all I want to do is get the engine running, after that, I'll worry about the brakes, cooling system, electrics etc while I'm saving up for a new set of tyres and windscreen.

It did occur to me that having been sat for 4 years with no fuel filler cap, there could be all sorts of crap at the bottom of the tank, so this weekend, I planned on disconnecting the filter (and maybe the fuel lines as well if necessary) and flushing the tank out (probably replace the fuel filter as well, once its had a chance to dry out).

If the engine management system is shot or there are other expensive problems, I'll find them soon enough, I just don't want to be mucking about all weekend because I forgot to check something as simple as the fuel line. Can anyone suggest anything else I should be thinking about at this stage? Would 4 years of inactivity cause any specific problems with the 3.4 V6? The fuel tank only just occurred to me today, so it is quite possible that I'm forgetting other basic precautions/checks that would maximise my chances of getting it running.

like any motor... the oil will have drained out to the very bottom, and a raw start will be a very bad start.

you could remove each of the spark plugs and spray a little wd-40 or PB Blaster in each piston, then turn the motor over by hand.... once you know the engine is 100% able to turn, then i would give it a starting crank with the ignition/ fuel system disabled so oil gets pumped everywhere in the engine. you can watch the oil light on the dash to see when it shuts off. repeat 2 or 3 times. you can put the plugs in after this and give it a real start.

I hate to sound bad on the fuel tank... but you may need to replace the pump since it has sat. however, by the auxilary battery post there is a single connector with a red wire. If you connect this wire to a 12volt feed and ground the car body, you can tell if the pump is working.

Thanks guys, very helpful. Since I'm going to replace the plugs anyway, hand-cranking it shouldn't be a problem. I know the engine turns, since the previous owner fitted a battery and tried to start it (before realising the tank was empty) when I first saw it, but it would certainly make sense to turn it over by hand once I've changed the oil. I'll check out the fuel pump this weekend, any ideas how much a replacement costs (no joy finding one on google)?

I paid about $75 US for a good Bosch unit.

also make sure your sending unit works before getting it all back together before realizing it ( I speak from experience) if the tank is empty and the gauge reads full... it is probably bad.

Just put a fresh battery in it, put some fuel in, turn the key, and go.

Oil should be just fine. Coolant doesn't just 'go bad' by sitting. It'll probably smoke for the first few minutes, and might run a bit rough until the ECU has reset itself, but otherwise, shouldn't be an issue.

Since I've no real idea of the car's history, when it was last serviced or anything, I think a basic service (including an oil change) is both a reasonable precaution and easy introduction to working on the car. Specifically in the case of the engine oil, I am worried that after 4 years of inactivity, the oil will all be sitting at the bottom of the engine and getting any sort of meaningful level from the dipstick (or any real indication of quality) is going to be impossible, so I might as well just replace it and know that I have the right level of good quality, new oil in it before trying to fire it up. I wouldn't be worried about coolant ........ if it had any! Unfortunately, the perished radiator hoses meant that there is nothing in the radiator at all (my suspicion being that it only had water in it before being laid up and that it all evaporated)!

Coolant does go bad just by sitting.. It breaks down over time even when not "in use"

x2 I was doing a LOF on a Blazer today that had been sitting and the coolant was very nasty and caked on the inside of the cap. Unfortunately the owner did think it was necessary to flush it :rolleyes:

Coolant does go bad just by sitting.. It breaks down over time even when not "in use"

x2 I was doing a LOF on a Blazer today that had been sitting and the coolant was very nasty and caked on the inside of the cap. Unfortunately the owner did think it was necessary to flush it :rolleyes:

Yeah, get used to that kinda shit at work :lol: He prolly had blown intake gaskets adding oil to gunk up the gunky coolant too :lol: