junkyard tgp, conversion bait for my 2003 gp 3.1?

alphaseinor

Newbeeee

I found a '90 tgp (reserved it, it's not in public view anymore), it smacked into a pole at ??? mph... in two peices, blood stains everywhere on the interior... front clip is quite complete (minus the wiring harness going into the rear :twisted: . I think it (was) a 4dr... sorry to break it to y'all

Is it possible to convert my 2003 GP SE (3.1L) to this turbo setup? I haven't seen anyone post about the differences between the 90's 3.1s and my 3.1.

Any reports on hauntings from engines whose drivers couldn't handle the HP? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I have done OEM turbo conversions on quite a few cars, but this one is special, it's mine (evil laugh). conversions done (1984 dodge colt (don't ask), '65 mustang to the 4cyl turbo, stuff like that...)

Anyways at 6,500 feet ASL, the N/A 3.1 sucks, or rather has a hard time sucking... depending on your point of view... it needs a turbo, or god forbid a supercharger or nitrous (bottles are for babies!!!!).

Thankz,

alphaseinor

You'd have to take the whole engine out and swap it with yours...as well as the wirring harness...the transmission...radiator...intercooler. There are many threads on this forum about turbo 3.1 swaps. The reason you would have to change most of those things, is because the N/A 3.1 and 4T60 transmission will not hold up long with a turbo on the motor. :wink:

Is the bellhousing bolt pattern different with the old 3.1? From what it looks like, it is the same pattern, so therefore the tansmission should just bolt up to my block.

The higher compression will not harm me at this altitude, cylinder pressure will stay in check...

So what you're saying is you want to but the TGP motor onto your tranny?? Thats going to be hard from a wiring standpoint. Your tranny is computer controlled, the auto on the TGP is not (minus the TCC). So, your tranny would need your ECM to function, but the TGP motor needs the ECM from the TGP to fucntion. You would be better off taking the TGP motor, finding a Getrag 282, and hooking that up, and making a custom wiring harness adapter so youre gauge cluster and HVAC stuff will work.

Or, do you want to just put the turbo on your 3100 you have now??

Robby

Hey if you get the car, I'll buy the rear buckets and rear console off of ya. Any condition, as long as they are fully intact w/ headrests, torn leather is fine. Respond in this post if ya wanna let 'em go.

lol, didnt he say there are blood stains everywhere? those turn orange after you wash them about 10 times, right norman? lol jk im sure the splatter didnt reach into the back seats, and if it did... :?

Alright.....now that I read this thread a little closer, you are asking about swapping a TGP setup into a 2003 SE with a 3100 motor. You WILL need to upgrade the transmission, as the N/A 4T60e is too weak to handle the boost. I'm just not sure how you are going to do this swap really. The PCM that you have in your car right now will not work with the TGP setup...but with all the other electronic systems on your car, I'm not sure if you can just wire in the TGPs ECM..or swap the wiring harness without some heavy modification. :shock: You'd be better off swapping an L67 into your car...less headaches :wink:

Ah the L67 salesman, listen man. I've heard your complaints and I understand barely but you should add to your notes that THE 2003 GRAND PRIX HAS THE 4T65-E AS DOES ALL W-BODIES SINCE 199fucking8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111

Ah the L67 salesman, listen man. I've heard your complaints and I understand barely but you should add to your notes that THE 2003 GRAND PRIX HAS THE 4T65-E AS DOES ALL W-BODIES SINCE 199fucking8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111

Hey...lay off me man. I was just trying to suggest an easier solution, rather than implementing the TGP components in a car that would need some heavy wiring modifications...especially if the person doing the wire modding knows nothing about the car electronic and engine management systems. And I know that a lot of SE owners complain about their transmissions on ClubGp, so I just assumed they were still using the 60...sorry...geez :roll: :roll:

SE owners actually complain about it? I'd think that trans would live forever when it's behind a mere 175hp engine. Only thing I can complain about it is the shifting is programmed wayyyyy too soft

The 3.1L should bolt in, but I would use the 3100's electronics if you want to keep the 4T65-E. I believe the MAF setup will accommodate some boost without needing an entire PCM code rewrite.

Probably best thing to do, would just be to use what TGP components you need to get that turbo on the 3100. Don't forget that turbo'ing a 3100 would also require lower compression pistons.

Guest TurboSedan
i dont think its a 4dr, TGP's didnt come in 4drs did they?

True tgps didn't, however TSTE's did! maybe thats what he meant??????

the TSTE is a 'true' TGP being it was an ASC/McLaren car. my TGP engine came from a '90 TSTE. i'm using a Getrag 282 (maybe a 284) with it so i don't have to worry about any wiring issues. i have had bad luck with the 282 but i'm willing to give it another chance.

alphasenior - try running a n/a 3.1 @ 7200+ ft above sea level. ugh!! btw i have alot of TGP parts for sale if you need anything in particular.

joshua