spoiler installation opinions?

ImJonahearMeRoar

Hey all. Finally got myself a w-body so now i can finally call this home!

So ive had the car about 3 weeks now and have finished almost all aspects of tuning up so now im gonna start having a little fun with

how it looks. but before i get too far, here is what I bought

92 Grand Prix 3.1L--- nothing special, but i got the car for a steel!

so my first order of business is whether or not to put the spoiler i have, on it and if so what do you think is the best way to apply (screws, glue, etc..)? it is just a basic spoiler off a different GP that my bro had laying around but not sure if i want it or not so let me know what you guys think.

ill try to get some pics up but i want to wait until i paint the hood (paint baked almost entirely off :cry:)

anyway just kindof introducing myself and getting a post up so let me know what you think!

didnt expect a reply so fast before i could hopefully get some pics up haha. shes a little dirty right now but not important in this situation. also... what would be the best color to paint spoiler?

IMG_0167-1.jpg

WITHOUT

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

thanks for the tips. yes, not sure what the factory calls it but its that dark blue/aqua color. any suggestions on the best way to mount the spoiler and possibly a place/way to get paint for the hood and spoiler? i have a spray gun and everything and was thinking about taking the hood off in the next week or so to paint it and the spoiler but need an exact or very close color to the car and since there is quite a bit of painting involved and i want to do it right without spending a ton of money, buying a bunch of cans of Duplicolor seems kindof unconventional. any thoughts?

this probably not the corect way but if i were mouting the spoiler i would through the trunk lid and bolt it on but i would put a some silicone on the bottom of the spoiler so it doesnt leak

also if you need the paint code or the name of the paint just call your chevy dealer and give the the last 8 of your vin and tey can tell you and to get paint just call some local paint shops and a lot of time they will mix you some around here a half a pint is about $30

cool i figured it would probably be best to go with bolts coming up. i was considering possibly some sort of industrial strength glue but with that chance of it flying off and taking the life of an unfortunate driver behind me on the expressway its probably not the best idea. im just worried about the leakage though because of the important equiptment in there but it makes sense that if you do it right silicone should plug it right up. also THANKS A LOT for the help with the paint, my last car looked like such a piece of crap because the paint was just slightly off and it looked aweful!

Any more pics of your car? It looks nice for being 16 years old.

Off topic: What year GA is that in the garage? Ive been lookin at gettin that generation with the 3100 as a different DD, how do you like it?

yeah it is actually in great shape (no rust at all woohoo!) the fun part is, is that i picked it up for $300 from brother's friend who got a new ride and was looking to scrap this! i gave it a good tune up and she runs flawlessly (havn't had a single problem yet). as far as pictures ill put up some more in the coming weeks after i throw some tlc into it and get stuff painted.

as far as the grand am goes, its actually a friend's. but i can tell you that he loves it. i believe its a 94 (?) and has roughly 210k on the engine and still runs beautifully. it drove without flaw everytime ive got behind the wheel and still looks great too. i personally like that gen of grand ams the most... only complaint about his, itd be nice if it had some power windows... or power locks... or power........ anything?!?

I put a 94-96 GP spoiler on my old 92 sedan and now my 90 STE. It's pretty easy, but from my experience the inside of the trunk lid is different on sedans than coupes. Thus, to get the spoiler in the right spot on a sedan you end up with holes through two of "ribs" in the inside of the trunk lid. What I did was after drilling the initial holes was to take a hole saw and cut out a large circle around the bolt holes which allowed me to put the nuts on the spoiler bolts/studs. I used washers on the underside as well as some RTV and it worked wonderfully.

take the hood and spoiler to a professional for paint. they can get an exact match for your paint, though it *might* not exactly match since your paint is 16 years old and likely faded. i cant imagine them charging too much for this if there is no body work needed.

as for spoiler mounting, find a GP in the junkyard with a spoiler, take its mounting hardware and measure where the holes are located in the trunk lid.

Awesome I'll look into taking them into a shop... It's save me some work and would look a ton better most likely. Also thanks a lot forthe detailed spoiler installation. Hopefully getting this all done this weekend.

Also hahahaha at the video! Very insightful as well... Now thinking twice beforethrowing it on there any ole way.

hahaha don't hate on ma $25 autozone cappers! The stocks look aweful though when I bought it... The three that were there. Hahaha bit yeh I'll get some nice rims when my bank account allows

Good luck finding the paint. I've been told by several dealerships they don't stock the paint for our cars anymore. No offense, but you paid $300 for the spoiler? That seems like rape.