Coilovers, Adj Mounts, Solid Cradle Bushings, UPDATE 3/25 Design Done!!!!

BXX

Well, some success!!!

My father will be indeed be doing the design in AutoCAD, Pro E, or SolidWorks.. He has 25 years of product designing and engineering so his experience and knowledge will help me decide on materials to use as well..

As part of payment and help, all I have to provide him is a copy of SolidWorks to play around with at home since Dana Corp layed him off a month ago.. He already has Pro E (which is supposed to be better than them all) so I hope shops or someone can use the design saved from Pro E (I imaging you can save it as a DWF file)

Expect some results of some sorts within the next couple weeks. I gotta drop off the copy of SolidWorks to him next Saturday and the measurements and how I want everything designed. Hopefully he should have everything done in a week..

Front Mounts

Rear Mounts

Solid Cradle Bushings

Heres a bit of an update...

I obtained a copy of SolidWorks Office Premium 2008... Was gonna have my father start this weekend drafting up the solid cradle bushings.. But I started to get the hang of using the software, so heres the update.

The rear metal bushings are done, both upper and lower. I still need to get the measurements for the front, and should have those done tomorrow evening maybe..

Heres a few pics for ya

SubframeSpacer2.jpg

SubframeSpacer1.jpg

hey if you need help, i have Pro/E on my local machine and at school. and access to all kinds of engineering software. as far as Pro/E being better...well that was true back in the day, but i think solid works is alot more intuitive and the software is more purpose built. Pro/E has alot of strange things about it mostly based on the fact that its older software that has been added onto many times.

hey if you need help, i have Pro/E on my local machine and at school. and access to all kinds of engineering software. as far as Pro/E being better...well that was true back in the day, but i think solid works is alot more intuitive and the software is more purpose built. Pro/E has alot of strange things about it mostly based on the fact that its older software that has been added onto many times.

My father snagged a copy of the Latest Pro/E when Dana Corp layed him off.. He's extremely proficient in it, but hasnt messed with SolidWorks much.. After trying to get my hand with AutoCAD and then SolidWorks, I have to say SolidWorks is more user friendly.. Of course it could be since im a learn shit again Noob. :lol:

If I forget to get measurements off the cradle to do the front bushings tomorrow (cradle is as work) I think I will just try my hand at dealing with the front strut mounts.. Starting with the easiest 1st :lol: I cant do anything complete with that until I can measure what angles the stock strut mount bolts are from the center point.. Suppose I could just bust out ye ol' measure stick :lol: and do some simple geometry :lol:

Yeah, 3D AutoCAD can kiss my ass :lol: My dad was right, AutoCAD isnt nothing compared to SolidWorks. He of course used Pro/E as thats all Dana Corp used and the place he worked at prior was Aurora Hydromatic Pumps and they used AutoCAD..

Im actually getting quite excited. With SolidWorks being somewhat user friendly, its allowing me to be able to get the hang of it a bit so I can get something accomplised without having to have my father draft everything up since he lives an hour away in Mansfield where I used to live.

Meh, im not tired and kinda bored, I suppose I can start on the beginnings of the front strut mounts on the adjustment plate that holds the spherical bearing

Oh yeah, im very suprised my P3 866mhz 512mb ram Tablet PC even can run SolidWorks, especially with the 3D...

Meh, Left work half day since we are so damn slow... so I didnt get measurements off the cradle for the front bushings, no biggie, once I have the sizes it will only take me a few minutes to draft them up..

Sooo, I started on the caster plate for the upper strut mounts. Its the one that will allow caster adjustment and holds the spherical bearing. Im a little shakey on my measurements, so i will end up maybe this weekend making one outta hard foam so I can mock it up on the car.. The adjust measurements as needed and complete the drawing.. After that, its just the main plate that will adjust camber..

Progress being made feels good :lol:

Hey, does anyone have a way that they can measure the angle of the strut towers compared to level??? I dont think they are parrellel to the ground and its kinda necessary to know appx to implement into the design. :willynilly:

Soo, is anyone still interested in this???

Done... Measurements should all be 100%.

Due to size constraints, only Caster adjustment is build into the new mounts. Camber adjustment will be handled how its meant to, but slotting the strut towers. GM says its the approved method, and most of y'all strut towers have prolly already have been slotted by now..

This way, there is a strong 2 piece mount, and you can still adjust camber and caster :wink:

No, I will not redo the design to have the mount adjust camber instead of caster, thats retarded. Caster will have a greater effect on the steering and response than the camber, and its ok to slot the towers for camber, not caster. Dont ask why you shouldnt slot the tower for caster, I dont feel like explaining it :lol:

-Bob

Mmmmmm, teasers :lol:

Main strut mount plate

casterplate2.jpg

Caster Adjustment Plate, holds spherical bearing.

casterplate1.jpg

Lower plate that bolts underneath the above Caster Adjustment Plate to retain and hold the spherical bearing in really snug

casterplate3.jpg

You can see in this last pic where the above Lower plate bolts to

casterplate4.jpg

how big is that upper hole compared to the spherical bearing? It looks small and i'm worried that the piece would interfere with the nut on top of the strut

That hole isnt muh bigger than the bearing OD.. There should be no clearence issue. I may go through and open it up a bit more..

When you are done with the SolidWorks files, I'd like a copy if you are willing to send them to people. I built all-around coilovers last year, but I'd like to do use different plates up front. Depending on the design of the rear mounts, I may be interested in those aswell.

Keep me posted :wink:

When you are done with the SolidWorks files, I'd like a copy if you are willing to send them to people. I built all-around coilovers last year, but I'd like to do use different plates up front. Depending on the design of the rear mounts, I may be interested in those aswell.

Keep me posted :wink:

Honestly, after all the work I have into these, im not sure im willing to give out the design for free... And I will have to put them through stout testing as well a them being fatigue tested with COSMOS before I sell any sets... Also, Im looking at the liability as well, but a good disclaimer should put that aside

Good for you, I would not give my files away for free, that's preposterous. Quick question, how do you plan on attaching them to the spring with the rotational bearing?

I am going to build my set no matter what, but your files look pretty sweet. I would suggest that if you are going to make that 90* piece, I would add a nice fat radius on that piece for security purposes..

Good for you, I would not give my files away for free, that's preposterous. Quick question, how do you plan on attaching them to the spring with the rotational bearing?

I am going to build my set no matter what, but your files look pretty sweet. I would suggest that if you are going to make that 90* piece, I would add a nice fat radius on that piece for security purposes..

I already have machinges upper spring seats, all I might need is a small spacer..

And the spherical bearing will be retained fine, what you arent seeing is there is a lip on the top of the one piece.. It will sit against that and a plate is bolted below it to retain it solidly...

I did notice on that bottom part I forgot to make the hole :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

See this thread..

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/44992-Discussion-Thread!-Front-Coilovers-w-O.E.M.-Front-Camber-Caster-Plates.

That shows the install with the front adj coilover mounts. made my mark aka dohcv6

He offers rear mounts as well. Not adjustable or course but they do have spherical bearing upper mount like these front ones.

• 3 months later...

I am curious, anyone know what HT Motorsports are charging for there Rear Coilovers with KNY struts? and they would be already assembled. I already bought the 2 trailing links and the 4 lateral arms. And how much difference between Coilovers and that Monoleaf? I think this is something I have to get done before replacing my 19yo exaust.