Coilovers, Adj Mounts, Solid Cradle Bushings, UPDATE 3/25 Design Done!!!!

BXX

PICS!!!!

Parts Layed Out

Picture028.jpg

Oops, Forgot some other goodies in there :lol:

Picture040.jpg

Springs

Picture029.jpg

Torrington Bearings

Picture030.jpg

Upper Spring Seats and Adjuster Nuts

Picture031.jpg

Picture032.jpg

Crusty Stock Gen2 Mount, Using these for Testing

Picture033.jpg

Picture035.jpg

If Needed, ES Spring Isolators ive had for a while

Picture049.jpg

How Everything Stacks Up

Picture038.jpg

Picture036.jpg

Picture039.jpg

And the Anger Ridden Madman behind this... ME!!!

Picture045.jpg

Picture047.jpg

Do those 2nd gen mounts bolt in to a first gen with no modification to the strut tower??

Jamie

They fit fine in my strut towers.. If there needs to be any elongating though, that is fine since I will have to do that to do the alignment anyway

That finger has been in your asshole.

no, it hasnt. Ive been scrubbing my linolenum (sp) floors today, my stove, and overall cleaning the entire house, along with handling old car parts. Nowhere in there did I mention my finger in my ass, so yeah, it has never been in there..

Your just jealous it hasnt been in yours homo, now get the hell outta my thread unless you have something technical to contribute... K, thanks

Do those 2nd gen mounts bolt in to a first gen with no modification to the strut tower??

Jamie

They fit fine in my strut towers.. If there needs to be any elongating though, that is fine since I will have to do that to do the alignment anyway

no, it hasnt. Ive been scrubbing my linolenum (sp) floors today, my stove, and overall cleaning the entire house, along with handling old car parts. Nowhere in there did I mention my finger in my ass, so yeah, it has never been in there..

Your just jealous it hasnt been in yours homo, now get the hell outta my thread unless you have something technical to contribute... K, thanks

Oh! Excuse me for giving you shit(pun lol) cause GOD KNOWS you have never given me any! Please, forgive me!

so thats what that is under his fingernail

Dirt... Prolly some left over from me pulling an engine out of a 91 Firebird. Im a fuckin mechanic. I get dirty, im quite busy even on my vacation, I dont always spend my time making sure my fingernails are spotless...

Jamie

Oh! Excuse me for giving you shit(pun lol) cause GOD KNOWS you have never given me any! Please, forgive me!

Yeah, but we keep it to the whatever thread. Now quit threadshitting.

Back ontopic

Yeah matt, im doing the fronts now.

One note, the upper spring seat hole may need to be drilled out to fit the strut rod snug, no bigger, 5 minutes top to drill them out.

Ok, next question, what keeping those thrust bearings from getting all crusty and rusty, especially if you winter drive this car?

I can see that setup working well brand new, but those thrust bearings won't like moisture.

n/m i see this is for the front

:lol:

welcome to the thread, pull up a seat and pay attention!

Jamie

:lol: :lol:

Oh, another thing, the reason I went with the upper spring seat instead of the hackjob from Held is to keep the spring as parrellel as possible to the strut rod. this is vital since when you hit a bump and experience a camber change, the held design allows the spring to comress unevenly which does interesting things with spring rate since you experience coil bind. Rates are figured in a linear fashion.. i.e. ZERO coil bind

Here is the bearing for the Held kit, it falls out when you jack up the car sometimes and can be a pain in the ass to put back in place... I often thought about putting it on the bottom mount but worry about moisture getting at it.

FWIW, my held kits show no signs of any sort of binding of the coils

Jamie

Ok, next question, what keeping those thrust bearings from getting all crusty and rusty, especially if you winter drive this car?

I can see that setup working well brand new, but those thrust bearings won't like moisture.

They will be greased for one thing. And they are a cheap wear item anyway. I will prolly scrap the car long before they need replaced, especially since they are stainless steel which will help the longevity. As far as retaining them when the car is jacked up, I wont be working on that issue since within a couple months, I will be going with variable rate springs once I do the calculations to determine the onces I want/need. With the variable rate, I can get a nice ride, with good handling, and when the car is jacked up, the spring will still have tension keeping everything put. I will be getting upper spring seats to use on the rear too since coil bind has been an issue, well for me at least since im very picky

Here is the bearing for the Held kit, it falls out when you jack up the car sometimes and can be a pain in the ass to put back in place... I often thought about putting it on the bottom mount but worry about moisture getting at it.

Jamie

You have coil bind, trust me. I mean bind as in the spring under linear compression experiences more compression on one side than the other, its inherent of the design that you have, and it screws up spring rate

Those thrust bearings are in a BAD spot...

If the spring comes away from the seat the thrust bearing could fall down and be offset from the spring and when the spring goes back up it will destroy that bearing.

I think you would be better off puting the bearing on the lower mount, MUCH less chance of that happening thanks you gravity

Jamie

Jamie

You have coil bind, trust me. I mean bind as in the spring under linear compression experiences more compression on one side than the other, its inherent of the design that you have, and it screws up spring rate

Honestly I held the plastic in my hand... if the kind of coil bind you are talking about was occuring that plastic would get obliterated.

Jamie

Ahh ok, didn't realize they were SS. Too bad you couldn't figure out a way to incorporate a bearing buddy type greasing system and they would last forever.

Sounds like with variable rate springs you'll have all your bases covered.

And regarding what Jamie is suggesting with placing the thrust bearing below the coil, you could machine a seat into the lower mount (threaded collar) to hold the thrust bearing in place from shifting side to side.

Ugh

No you have coilbind, think about it. When you hit a bump, the strut rod/strut itselft changes angle in relationship to the upper spring seat, but with that fixed, the spring is no longer parellel with the strut rod under compression

I'm not saying your wrong... just saying I haven't had a problem with it yet...

those white mounts aren't a tight fit, there is some play in them... I haven't heard any binding, nor have I seen any abnormal wear on the mounts.

I'm not gonna argue with you about it... I do like your idea better than the Held idea... the idea of an acrylic plastic upper mount wasn't good to me from day one... but what other options did I have...

Only think I think wrong with yours is that the seat should be deeper so there is less chance of the spring coming completely off it.... OR it should be conical shaped so if the spring does come off it gets guided into place by the mount.

Have you found variable rate springs? I wasn't able to find any with the correct ID... of course I wasn't looking that hard.

Jamie

i have found tons of them

Links? I've been thinking this for a long time!

Jamie