'92 LQ1 T-Belt failure, can it bend valves? Answer inside...

spiderw31

And the answer is yes :eek:

You might recall that several months back my car murderized the t-belt, and the shop told me it failed a leakdown test, indicating bent valves. Fast forward to last week, and I finally got the motivation to pull the heads, and I finally got them to the machine shop on Tuesday. Well today I got a call, and it appears a couple intake valves DID contact the piston surface. They were just a little tweaked, so after a little grinding they were OK. So I guess this shows that you can get piston to valve contact on an early LQ1 even at low revs, although it does seem as though carbon buildup may have been a contributing factor. Also, I dunno if this is normal as I've never torn into an LQ1, but the pistons definately are above the deck of the block!

Another thing the machine shp found when rebuilding the heads was that one of the coolant ports was severely rotten to the point that the intake gasket mating surface was half chewed up. He said that it was repairable, so that was good... I'm just glad that I won't be chasing down and fighting an ugly leak like that right after a project like this.

Should have the heads back in a couple days, and I'll be able to start reassembly... I'm looking forward to driving her again :biggrin:. That and getting the Fiero back in its rightful place hehe... the garage, out of the weather :willynilly:

I discovered an interference incident on my 93 international. I pulled the spark plugs... and number 6 was fubared. shined a light down the plug hole and can see something supercollided in cylinder 6 :eek:

engine is locked solid and the T-belt appears good.

• 2 weeks later...

Happened to me, too. The whole non-interference things a load of BS.

Mine didn't bend valves, when the belt exploded it was doing ~2,000 RPM's and didn't bend anything.

Haha, 2k rpms, pfft! I was going probably 75 or 80 down I-69, so probably around 3k-3500, snapped instantly, no problems at all, aside from having to sit on the side of the road for 3 hours :lol: I think it just depends on hundreds of variables whether or not you're lucky enough to not bend valves