Blower motor resistor

cramez

Hey all -

I'm working on my 99 Grand Prix GT and need to replace the blower motor resistor. Problem is, all the parts places and even the dealer here claims that all models 97-05 used the same resistor with a 7 prong connector. This car has a 3-prong connector (4-prong plastic clip, 3 wires actually going into it), which I'm assuming has something to do with the ATC option that this car has as opposed to the manual fan speed switch.

Anybody have a part number that I can give the dealer or any other source for this part?

Thanks in advance...

Really? I'm not sure how the ATC system works yet, I haven't found a wiring diagram for it. Everything else is the same as the normal 7-prong blower motor resistor, with a two-wire hookup coming out of it that plugs directly into the blower motor.

If it helps, the other thing that I've noticed is that the 7-prong part that I've been shown for the car has a resistor at the end of a piece that sticks out 1.5" or so into the heater box, while the one in the car is actually really shallow.

sounds like the internal temp sensor?

that is what it is. I have done them on the newer chevrolet trucks and with the ECC it mounts in the same spot but it is not a resistor. If i can find the part number i will send it. Most use a 3 wire plug and 2 wire output wire that goes to the blower motor

If anybody is able to find a part number or any other information about this part, it would definitely be appreciated, I'm having no luck finding even a listing for it, much less somebody that has the actual part.

If you are certain that it is the blower motor resistor (only have 1 or 2 fan speeds) you can get the part at Autozone for about $20. Drop the blower motor and have fun reaching up under the dash. If you search ClubGP you'll find some more decent information about it.

Then I am an asshole. :lol:

Well if the shoe fits, Just kidding dammit! :high5: :lol: Is this the kind of module that sits where the resistor would be but its basically a metal type one instead like a Tahoe with ACC?

Yeah as Brian said its a controller and a heat sync built on top of it, and usuaully the heat sync keeps the resistor cool enough to not pop the circuit board inside. I have never seen one fail, as a result I would test the blower motor itself first then check the fuses in your fuse usage panel on each side of the dash board, there is a fuse for high speed and a fuse for low speed. If you have verified that all 3 are good and you need the part I have one for you.

You have one of those sitting around that works? if so what would you want for it? There is a piece of heat sink that sits inside the heater box right next to the blower motor, and the wires go directly from it to the blower motor, same as a standard blower motor resistor. The dealer figured out what it is, and they don't see them fail much either. They said that they sold one...once...in 2004.

Fuses are all OK, I figured that this part was bad because the blower motor wouldn't turn on at all, and if I messed with the two wires going out to the blower motor it would kick on.

Yeah I have one I am not using currently. That is subject to change though as both of my daily drivers have this exact part. Verify its bad and I will get you a price.

• 2 weeks later...